• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Place to invest / Retire

Geoff

I forgot about the property tax issue in NH, especially on Winni, that could be tough on a fixed income, thankfully we divide ours by 4:p

I hear you on the chain thing, but the couches upstairs are nice after a day on the slopes and they have pretty good wings and a good beer selection at the Ashland location.

Seems like the C'man and it's Spin Off's (The Camp, Town Docs, Lago)are taking over the Lakes region and especially the town of Meridith for casual dinning options. Like you said they do seem to give back.

For my money you can't beat the Corner House in Sandwich and The Woodshed in Moultonborough.

Moultonboro property tax rates are quite low. All those lakefront summer homes with no kids in the school system do wonders for the tax rates for the people who actually live there.

I've only been the the Common Man in Windham. I spent a pile o' years working within a few miles of the place. The food is OK and the bar is just fine if you're into divorcee meat markets. I presume the ones farther north don't have that happening in the bar.

drjeff

I forgot about the property tax issue in NH, especially on Winni, that could be tough on a fixed income, thankfully we divide ours by 4:p

I hear you on the chain thing, but the couches upstairs are nice after a day on the slopes and they have pretty good wings and a good beer selection at the Ashland location.

Seems like the C'man and it's Spin Off's (The Camp, Town Docs, Lago)are taking over the Lakes region and especially the town of Meridith for casual dinning options. Like you said they do seem to give back.

For my money you can't beat the Corner House in Sandwich and The Woodshed in Moultonborough.

Love how they bring your bread with dinner in the small clay flower pots :) Great place to eat. A bit challenging to find your 1st couple of trips there

Geoff

Bringing it back on-topic:

I bought a cottage in my home town a month ago. Padanaram Village, South Dartmouth, Ma.

This is what I was thinking:

* anticipate hyperinflation. Get some of the cash out of my portfolio and into something inflation-proof. Take on some small debt expecting that it will be inflated to nothing in 5 or 7 years.

* buy at the bottom of the market

* get back on salt water. I'm 1/4 mile from it and walking distance to my boat slip.

* be fairly minimalist to keep ownership costs low if disaster hits again and I'm not working.

* one level so I could get around if I had a major knee operation.

All of that applies to a retirement home as well and I'll probably live in this place when I retire.

I picked my home town partly because I'm familiar with it and partly because the climate is mild due to the Gulf Stream influence. Summer is a 7 month season there compared to the 5 months I had in Portsmouth. You can swim from mid-June through early October instead of 2 or 3 blazing hot days when I was in Portsmouth. The boating scene is way better. Cycling is better since there are far more rural roads along the shoreline. In light traffic, it's 3 1/2 hours to my Killington place. On the shoulder season in the fall, it's no big deal to drive back & forth until the skiing gets good and I move up full time for the winter. 30 miles from downtown Providence and an hour to Boston. For business travel, that makes my life much easier. I can walk to things in the village. I have any big box store I need within 5 miles. If I need it, there's a bus route a short distance away. The local hospital is 3 miles away and is far better than Rutland. Mass General is an hour if something goes really wrong.

deadheadskier

Staff member
it is pretty amazing what a difference 60ish miles makes in terms of climate. I don't really mind the cold water temps up here in mid-summer, but do wish the swimming season was a bit longer.

ZYDECORICH

thanks guys.. the retiring thing was just a whim but it just might not be the right idea. maybe just a ski house is a better one. we used to have access to an old maple sugar house that a friend of ours converted into a retreat in Danby vt. that was cool and the inspiration for this thread. again thanks for all the input. Ski on!