• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Acura MDX in the snow?

SIKSKIER

I looked at and drove the Arcadia and ended up buying a Envoy Denali.The Envoy was real nice except:The motor was undersized in my opinion and on hilly terrain it was constantly downshifting.That and I bought the Denali with a V-8 and all the bells and whistles(nav,dvd,onboard air compressor,etc) for $13,000 less.

SKIQUATTRO

stopped in and looked at the Yukon and Acadia today (luckily they were side by side on the showroom floor) Acadia has more leg room between the driver/passenger seats and 2nd row than the Yukon, Acadia has a fold flat rear 3rd row offering more cargo room than the Yukon...the Yukon looks bigger, but there is more interior room in the Acadia.

Also saw Suburbans with 15k miles going for $30k and less.....and that was dealer pricing, so figure they have at least $4k in it...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
What about the Volvo XC90? Mrs Root just got one of those and I hate to admit it, but I like it better then my suv. With a box on top, you could probably fit 7 in there. Seems to ride like a tank...but she won't actually let me drive it yet. :lol:

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Pilot is rated an 8 passenger, but the MDX is only 7. I drive a pilot which seats 6 adults comfortably using last row seats, but not with ski gear. There is really no storage left with that 3rd row open. The MDX is narrower in the back, so would be even worse. Agree the PIlot is not great in the snow...not bad, but not like a Suburban or Excursion.

I have to say that my 2005 Honda Pilot has been awesome in snow. I can usually navigate through snow better than those big 4WD raised pickups with $400 tires. I could never afford a new one, so I got it certified used from Honda with a Honda warranty.

We take a family of 4 for weekends or weeks. I use a Yakama on the roof for up to 8 pairs of skis & poles. Careful packing can get a lot into a Pilot. We were coming off of 15 years in various Chrysler mini-vans, so it was hard to find an SUV with enough room. The Pilot seemed to have to most for us, plus that 3rd row of seats when necessary.

Here it is all packed up for the drive up for a week at the ski house:

IMG00467-vi.jpg

IMG00470-vi.jpg

SKIQUATTRO

i have the xc70 now, tons of issues with it, need a break from Volvo, also the xc90 not enough room between back of front seats and 2nd row and there is no option for 2nd row captains chairs. We know excatly what we want, the configuration and right now the Acadia is fitting the bill. Lease on the volvo isnt up till may so we have a bit of time to look at everything and make a decision.

deadheadskier

Staff member
speaking of Acura. Does anyone else find their new line of Sedans to be completely hideous, especially when viewed from behind?

hammer

i have the xc70 now, tons of issues with it, need a break from Volvo, also the xc90 not enough room between back of front seats and 2nd row and there is no option for 2nd row captains chairs. We know excatly what we want, the configuration and right now the Acadia is fitting the bill. Lease on the volvo isnt up till may so we have a bit of time to look at everything and make a decision.
Did a check on this website...guess the XC70s don't have good reliability records, and the earlier 2000s are worse:

http://www.truedelta.com

I signed up there a while ago and I'm providing repair into on my S40.

You most likely made a good decision on going with a lease for the XC70.

When I look into a replacement for my Toyota Highlander I will be checking into US models...I'm getting the impression that American cars aren't as bad as they used to be.

WakeboardMom

Did a check on this website...guess the XC70s don't have good reliability records, and the earlier 2000s are worse:

http://www.truedelta.com

I signed up there a while ago and I'm providing repair into on my S40.

You most likely made a good decision on going with a lease for the XC70.

When I look into a replacement for my Toyota Highlander I will be checking into US models...I'm getting the impression that American cars aren't as bad as they used to be.

Interestingly enough, we have had no issues with XC70's. However, my husband is a big guy (he's the "soccer mom" who chose that vehicle and drives it the most), but on long trips he's uncomfortable. Will probably replace it with one of the American suv's being discussed here. Leaning towards the Denali, mostly because I hate the Caddy's exterior. I told him that the Caddy is only acceptable if it's an extremely exceptional deal.

SKIQUATTRO

i talked to my mechanic as i have to do the 80k service on my Audi and we got chatting about makes/cars/trucks.

He said in his experiecene, that the Chevy/GMC trucks are the most reliable..easy 200k, easy to work on..(like anything, there will be exceptions) but he favors american trucks over any others.

gladerider

I have to say that my 2005 Honda Pilot has been awesome in snow. I can usually navigate through snow better than those big 4WD raised pickups with $400 tires. I could never afford a new one, so I got it certified used from Honda with a Honda warranty.

We take a family of 4 for weekends or weeks. I use a Yakama on the roof for up to 8 pairs of skis & poles. Careful packing can get a lot into a Pilot. We were coming off of 15 years in various Chrysler mini-vans, so it was hard to find an SUV with enough room. The Pilot seemed to have to most for us, plus that 3rd row of seats when necessary.

Here it is all packed up for the drive up for a week at the ski house:

IMG00467-vi.jpg

IMG00470-vi.jpg

i have the same car and that trunk looks just like mine loaded up. haha. i have michelin pilot M/S (mud/snow) tires and i have no problem in snow.

Glenn

I'm getting the impression that American cars aren't as bad as they used to be.

They've made a nice turn around as of late. Granted, my Jeep isn't exactly "new", but I've been really happy with it.

Geoff

They've made a nice turn around as of late. Granted, my Jeep isn't exactly "new", but I've been really happy with it.

If you look at the Consumer Reports data, it appears that Ford cars have just about achieved parity with Japanese cars. They don't have much positive to say about GM or Chrysler. I tend to trust CR more than JD Power.

I also tend to discount the "I've been really happy with it" method since it's only one data point. I can say the same about the two Volkswagens I've owned for the last decade even though the reliability ratings for both cars have been below average. I personally wouldn't buy an American SUV without putting a 100K extended warranty on it.

gmcunni

I have to say that my 2005 Honda Pilot has been awesome in snow. I can usually navigate through snow better than those big 4WD raised pickups with $400 tires.

interesting. i had a pilot for 3 years and felt differently. could be the tires (stock, it was a lease and i wasn't putting $$ into it) or perhaps i just suck at winter driving.

i recall the day i decided it sucked in the snow. i was on Merritt Parkway in CT driving in a few inches of slushy snow, the road made a soft bend to the left but the pilot went straight, toward an overpass.. we recovered, not even a close call but still left me feeling like it wasn't the going to be a trusted snow vehicle. we have a CRV now. wife misses the extra room but to me it feels like it handles snow better.

i now have fantasies of owning an Acadia....:oops:

SKIQUATTRO

most likley was the tires. The tires that came on my armada were aweful and got aweful reviews on tirerack...i put BFG All Terrains on it and it was a world of differnce. On my volvo xc70, its a lease, but the tires were wearing low (stock conti's that suck)...not many All Season tires avail for that car, so, not wanting to risk my family's life, i put $400 in snows on it...handles snow like a dream...when i turn the lease i'll sell the tires, if not, I know i kept my family safe throughout the winter and didnt settle for a substanadard tire..

Would you run a marathon in flip flops??? Tires make the differnce

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
interesting. i had a pilot for 3 years and felt differently. could be the tires (stock, it was a lease and i wasn't putting $$ into it) or perhaps i just suck at winter driving.

i recall the day i decided it sucked in the snow. i was on Merritt Parkway in CT driving in a few inches of slushy snow, the road made a soft bend to the left but the pilot went straight, toward an overpass.. we recovered, not even a close call but still left me feeling like it wasn't the going to be a trusted snow vehicle. we have a CRV now. wife misses the extra room but to me it feels like it handles snow better.

i now have fantasies of owning an Acadia....:oops:

Did it have traction control and all that stuff? Mine is running stock Goodyear Integrity tires that were new 12K ago. Have I just been lucky or do I have mad driving skillz?...

Would you run a marathon in flip flops???

No, but I might run it barefoot!

WJenness

speaking of Acura. Does anyone else find their new line of Sedans to be completely hideous, especially when viewed from behind?

Yes.

But for me, it's the front ends. I can't stand them.

It's a shame because I was contemplating TSX or TL at one point before I went with my A4, and with how much I love my car and the new look of the Acura Sedans, I won't be going anywhere near them when it's time for a new vehicle.

-w

WJenness

Tires are so unbelievably under appreciated by the masses.

When you think about it they are the only part of the car that touches the road, which makes them responsible (at least in part) for: Acceleration, Braking, cornering, road noise, bad weather handling (rain, snow), feel on uneven pavement (bumps, potholes, grooved pavement, etc.)

Putting a good set of conditions appropriate tires on any car will have a more significant impact on the cars performance than almost any other mod you could do to a car.

People who spend a lot of money on a car only to go cheap on tires amaze me.

-w

gladerider

Tires are so unbelievably under appreciated by the masses.

When you think about it they are the only part of the car that touches the road, which makes them responsible (at least in part) for: Acceleration, Braking, cornering, road noise, bad weather handling (rain, snow), feel on uneven pavement (bumps, potholes, grooved pavement, etc.)

Putting a good set of conditions appropriate tires on any car will have a more significant impact on the cars performance than almost any other mod you could do to a car.

People who spend a lot of money on a car only to go cheap on tires amaze me.

-w

i agree. with all the winter driving we do on our pilot, one thing i don't cheap out on are the tires. IMHO, your life depends on it.

gladerider

Did it have traction control and all that stuff? Mine is running stock Goodyear Integrity tires that were new 12K ago. Have I just been lucky or do I have mad driving skillz?...

No, but I might run it barefoot!

i'd ask the same question. my neighbor had a 2004 model and told me she hated the traction on it. before i bought my pilot in 2005, i told the dealer what she told me. the guy said that honda made quite a bit of change on their traction control between the 2004 and 2005 model. also, he told me that there are many pilots without 4x4 option. this is my 5th winter with it and i've had no problem. michelin M/S model is not easy to find. i had to order them, but i love them.