• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adirondack-wear

Jason

Website
outdoors.jasonpaterson.com
I'll be heading down to the Dacks on February 3-5th. I'm concerned about footwear (or more accurately, footwear accessories). I'm thinking snowshoes or crampons but from what I can tell from VFTT, the snow doesn't appear to be too deep. I'm also concerned about hiking up the mountains with snowshoes. I can't see how that would work on a trail like the one going up Marcy or Algonquin, since they're sort of cumbersome and treacherous. I'll be hitting Porter and Cascade this trip.

Thoughts?

Mike P.

Marcy wouldn't be an issue & at treeline, likely icy enough & wind packed/cleaned that crampons would be the tools of choice. Marcy is a classic ski peak so snowshoes would be fine.

The steep pitch on Algonquin I would think would be crampons too. VFTT has a fairly good sized winter ADK climbing population, I'd probably ask there on Algonquin. Porter & Cascade should be fine with snowshoes, likely well packed out so you would not even need them but that's not supposed to be an ADK option. Very top of Cascade might be better with crampons, IMO. May be bare rock too.