• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's your favorite sub-$10 red wine (not TJ's)?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I know nothing about wine, so hit me. What's your favorite $10 or below red wine? My uncle claims, after taking some class, there is no reason to spend more than $10 on wine (he also makes his own)... and I'm too poor to anyway. But I know red wine kills the back pain. And I know that Trader Joe's in CT can't sell wine. So what do you like? What should I look for?

I'm drinking a 2005 Red Truck tonight and it's very drinkable. That's all I got. I know I had a Chocolate Cake one time and that was interesting...

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are some decent 'premium' Boxed Wines nowadays that are a better value.

You can find Pinot Evil Pinot Noir that's pretty decent for $20 a box. 4 bottles worth in the box and you don't have to worry about it going bad for weeks. Black Box are a bit more expensive, but also make decent selections in the $25-$28 a box range. The Hardy's products aren't so bad either.

Dr Skimeister

I fully agree with the "no need to spend more than $10" sentiment (although it may soon be more like $12) for decent wines. Not to say that more costly wines can be well worth the money, but unless I'm shopping for wine for a very special occasion, is look for cheap.

Some of the best inexpensive wines are the Chilean and Argentinian reds.

Here is one that's a staple in our house. They also make a very good Cotes de Rhone, which is one of my favorite summer wines. Sells for $8.99 here in NJ. And..it's organic!

bottle_oh_zin_08_lg.jpg

WJenness

I enjoy Mondavi's private selection (or collection, not sure which one) Cabernet... I can usually find it for $9.95 at my local liquor store.

-w

playoutside

Masciarelli Montepulciano -- usually around $8 -- Italian red table wine basically

I drink more whites, gambled on a cheapy for the holidays that ended up being a big hit with my family. Was preferred to other bottles that cost much more.

Santa Ema Sauvignon Blanc -- 2 for $15 -- Chilean white wine, very drinkable

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thank you for the suggestions! Knowing nothing about wine, I'll admit that I've chosen in the past based on catchy names or labels. :oops: Then again, I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough to complain. :lol: But it's good to branch out and try new things.

I know my uncle suggested Bogle before. And I hadn't even consider boxed wines...

Keep 'em coming!

gorgonzola

been on a twisted zin kick lately. i'm a habitual 1.5l buyer and tend to rotate between the zin's, pinot noir's and an occasional shiraz - can't go wrong with the yellowtail. i should look at the boxes but somehow the cork and pour are part of the ritual....

Moe Ghoul

If I'm too lazy to open a decent bottle, I'll hit the Carlo Rossi Paisano or Chianti that we use for cooking, that's good enough for a quick wine buzz or a spaghetti dinner. And it's cheeeep.

SKIQUATTRO

Malbec's from Chilie/Argentina

-dante robino 2007 malbec
-goulart clasico malbec
-trumpeter malbec
-cono su pinot noir-chile 2008
-root 1

gorgonzola

Ya'll need to come and do the Finger Lakes Whine Tour

http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/

we get a group together at least once a summer---friggin blast!!!!

x2, mrs snobunski and i do the seneca lake loop for our anniversary every october. we actually cracked a bottle of lakewood long stem red last night with dinner, some pretty good "pizza wines"

by the end of the day i'm wined out and always finish with a brew sampler at wagner
gp09007.jpg

happyjack

i also like the bogle.

others: smoking loon syrah, mark west pinot noir, jacob's creek shiraz and cab, ravenswood merlot and zinfindel (this may be too dry/tannic if you like fruity reds)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nobody asked

Nobody asked, but if you're looking for a GREAT California Chardonnay, Three Blind Moose is a great, fruity wine. My favorite. Hard to find. $8.99 at the NH Liquor Stores.

ctenidae

Had to dig a second to remember which ones were which, but from Bonny Doon, the Big House Red is tasty. The Ca del Solos are good, too, as I recall.

campgottagopee

x2, mrs snobunski and i do the seneca lake loop for our anniversary every october. we actually cracked a bottle of lakewood long stem red last night with dinner, some pretty good "pizza wines"

by the end of the day i'm wined out and always finish with a brew sampler at wagner
gp09007.jpg

We've done 'em all and I think the Seneca loop is by far the best----but it's not cause they have the most stops, that has nothing to do with it.:)

SKIQUATTRO

Gato Nego, fairly good....$3.99...i blind taste tested some high end wine drinker friends and they all thought it was a $15 bottle