• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington, 1/20/10 - The tamest "Beast" I've ever met :-(

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Welcome to the board, Mayhem. Question: did you read the original post, or the rest of the thread before your reply? I ask because your response/rebuttal seems to assume an awful lot, and doesn't directly apply to the topic at hand (mogul terrain and mogul formation).

BTW - lots of resorts make it without "extensive" grooming. And the bumps at Breck aren't great... Mary Jane is the mogul mountain.

Just to keep everything clear and open - I'm the original poster. I'm also a snowcat operator. And I spent some time making snow as well (night shift, 7-7). I speak from personal experience regarding snow science. I respect what you do, but respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Last edited:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Oh, and regarding original topic... seems like K has been leaving more bumps since the major holidays have passed. I might be going down this week, and will post another report when I return. Hoping for a much better experience. I'll make sure to plan according to the forecast this time, instead of going on a whim at 9:00! :lol:

mayhem

Sorry, I did read the original post. But rather than choose from the several dozen wrong-headed comments to quote, I thought it might be easier to lump them all together with the shotgun approach! :)

Sorry for adding my 2 cents. I should have known better.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Sorry, I did read the original post. But rather than choose from the several dozen wrong-headed comments to quote, I thought it might be easier to lump them all together with the shotgun approach! :)

Your 2 cents is always welcome. But that doesn't mean I have to agree. And vice versa.

:beer:

jack97

The idea that ANY ski resort in such a market could survive w/out extensive grooming is absurd. Why turn away 90% of your customers to cater to a few guys who show up twice a year expecting Breckenridge? Then they spend the rest of the year bad mouthing the place, the people, and the owners.

IMO, if a place leaves some decent lines, bumpers will show up more than twice a year. Seed them if you have to.... prolly a must given the crowds they are currently attracting.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You can't forget - it's not just about "bumpers." It's about introducing those weekend warriors to something different, something more interesting than wall-to-wall cruisers. Progression and learning terrain is the key. More on that another day.

jack97

You can't forget - it's not just about "bumpers." It's about introducing those weekend warriors to something different, something more interesting than wall-to-wall cruisers. Progression and learning terrain is the key. More on that another day.

That's spot on. There's no point in placing a bump run or letting bumps form on a single steep trail, sometimes that defeats the purpose.

Another key point is placing them at the right trails, imo best places to put them are in areas where the trees can protect them from wind and in sunny spots so that they can soften up... preferably both. In addition, traffic pattern, got to make them easy to get to so skiers and borders can work them in. This season at Sunapee, they added another mogul section at upper cattaract but it was hard to work them in because you can't lap that trail. That section sometimes had good bumps after a good dump but otherwise never held its shape and being expose to the wind didn't help it any either. I'm thankful that Sunapee is trying but they should have seeded a third run at another trail.

Last edited:

Newpylong

They do need to stop being cheap f*cks and yank the towers out from Northeast Passage and Devil's Fiddle. It looks riduculous with them just rotting away. I guess the same can be said for the top terminal of Needles Eye too...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
popcorn.gif

oakapple

They do need to stop being cheap f*cks and yank the towers out from Northeast Passage and Devil's Fiddle. It looks riduculous with them just rotting away. I guess the same can be said for the top terminal of Needles Eye too...

I assume the Devil's Fiddle towers and terminals will come out at some point, as they're an eyesore, and in a position where lots of people are forced to look at them.

The unused Northeast Passage towers are technically off resort property now. They are only visible near the bottom of the Sunrise Chair, which the vast majority of K guests do not use. Removing those towers would be an expensive operation (I believe they would have to be helicoptered out of there), and K wouldn't be one iota better as a result of it.

oakapple

I thought they still owned the area?

I am not sure whether they ever owned the Northeast Passage, or if they merely had a permit to operate a ski area on public land. But in any case, I am fairly certain that they gave up their operating rights in that area in exchange for permits to develop the connection to Pico. The latter, of course, is on indefinite hold, no one knows for sure if it'll ever happen.

Newpylong

Good point. If that is the case, I wonder how the state likes having old lift towers rusting away in the woods? perhaps they don't care... It goes to show you how rough shape ASC was in when they removed the lift, to leave the towers there.

bobbutts

OL should be left to bump up and all efforts made to keep the bumps in top condition.

:daffy::fangun:

bring back "Moguls the size of Volkswagens"

The weekend warriors will struggle to get down and talk about how legendary it is.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I think it is fine to have a different POV, but I think that BMM is in no way a "weekend warrior" and is in the business. Most of your comments don't seem to reflect what BMM posted now over two months ago.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
:lol: Thanks for the backup, guys! It's always easier to pick on people when you dehumanize them with some sort of manufactured title like "weekend warrior." :wink:

I'm not the consummate expert yet... I still have lots of years of experience to earn. But I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp on basic snow surface concepts, and a solid understanding of how that topic relates to the formation and quality of moguls.