• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/24-1/25 storm

MR. evil

Get your skiing in this weekend. At least in the MRV, the conditions were absolutely fantastic today. I skied to the closing bell at SB and it was blue and clear and perfect temperatures.

Quite depressing to think that in 48 hours it's all going to turn to the slop, but for now, it was great.

Randi and I were at the Bush today and your right, it was an awsome day! Alot of thin cover on CastleRock butit still skied well, after this storm it wil be really rough over there.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Randi and I were at the Bush today and your right, it was an awsome day! Alot of thin cover on CastleRock butit still skied well, after this storm it wil be really rough over there.

I never actually made it to CR even though I meant to. I was skiing the lower mountain with the kids, and then when they went back with the school bus I couldn't tear myself away from Sunrise and Birch Run until it was too late to make it to the upper mountain.

WinnChill

Can you keep an eye out on Blue as well?:spread: I have my 1st ski trip with my little bro in 2 years planned for Monday.
http://www.snowforecast.com/BlueMountainSkiArea

Are you only heading out Monday or will it be a multi-day outing? If only Monday, it'll still be pretty sloppy wet. Rain hangs on into the morning and tapers off by afternoon--mild though in the upper 40's! Not the best of days though--if anything, you may be able to get some afternoon runs in. If you could hang on til Tuesday, it looks drier and cooler--some clouds and maybe a few base sprinkles (freezing levels barely drop for perhaps a summit snow shower/flurry). Summit winds both days out of the west around 25-30mph.

I may pop into the forecast site to toss in some daily details when I get the chance and/or if anything changes.

Cheers.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
the only places that stand any chance of missing the rain are in Maine at elevation - Saddleback, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, where it may be sleet instead, preserving their snowpack. the valley temps in that region are expected to hit a high of 37 for about 4 hours on Monday, then drop after that. Higher elevations might be able to stave off that 5 degrees above freezing in the valley, or at least limit the amount of rain on top to a very brief period.

What I would really hope for is a prolonged period of snow midweek, after the cold but it's too far out to call that one right now. NWS Gray indicates:
For Early Next week:
" AT THIS POINT...WILL LEAVE A MENTION OF RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS"

And then later in the week:
"MID RANGE MODELS ARE HINTING AT SOME TYPE OF EVENT FOR LATE IN THE WEEK"
IN THE WEEK.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Are you only heading out Monday or will it be a multi-day outing? If only Monday, it'll still be pretty sloppy wet. Rain hangs on into the morning and tapers off by afternoon--mild though in the upper 40's! Not the best of days though--if anything, you may be able to get some afternoon runs in. If you could hang on til Tuesday, it looks drier and cooler--some clouds and maybe a few base sprinkles (freezing levels barely drop for perhaps a summit snow shower/flurry). Summit winds both days out of the west around 25-30mph.

I may pop into the forecast site to toss in some daily details when I get the chance and/or if anything changes.

Cheers.
Wow dude! Awesome update :beer:
Just a day trip. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to talk to him about switching our trip until Tuesday. Seems like that's the better option. He doesn't get out that often, so I want to make sure he has a good time.

WinnChill

No problem. I just saw their hours...til 10pm...maybe, juuuust maybe you could catch some evening skiing if he can't change the day. Just a thought.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
No problem. I just saw their hours...til 10pm...maybe, juuuust maybe you could catch some evening skiing if he can't change the day. Just a thought.
My bro is self employed so it's easy for him to switch the day.

Night skiing is pretty fun there. If my boss is ok with the switch, I still may go for Mon night.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
We had some cancellations at the inn for Monday and Tuesday due to the rain. Well, they didn't say that. One guy said he broke his ribs and another guy said he was called in for an emergency meeting at work. Someone else had a death in the family.

I feel sorry for all these mishaps. Such bad luck. Of course, nobody ever breaks their ribs on a powder day. ;)

Moe Ghoul

If anyone's sking the Loaf and/or saddleback this week, a quick report on conditions would be appreciated. We have a window for this Thurs thru next wednesday to roadtrip and are on the fence right now.

WinnChill

Moe Ghoul,

I can't report on conditions but I can help out with the weather--it'll be chilling down this week to support more snowmaking after tomorrow's slop...bring extra layers because it looks real cold come Friday. Some light snow/showers at times from Tuesday on will add some light accumulations through the rest of the week. The weekend is starting to look fairly calm and quiet with some potential storminess brewing later in your trip (maybe next Tues/Wed?).

wa-loaf

If anyone's sking the Loaf and/or saddleback this week, a quick report on conditions would be appreciated. We have a window for this Thurs thru next wednesday to roadtrip and are on the fence right now.

From the recent trip reports conditions look stellar, snowfields are open at both mtns. Tons of snow. If they get a refresh after tomorrows rain, things should be right back where they left off.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
that's one ugly radar

2xradara5_anim.gif

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Bummer. My trip with my brother is off for tomorrow and now he can't make Tuesday. I'm still taking the day off though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bummer. My trip with my brother is off for tomorrow and now he can't make Tuesday. I'm still taking the day off though.

If I had a day off, I'd probably head for the hills anyways just to be outside. I'd work on form, do drills, take a lesson or do something. It's still winter after all, an there still is snow to work with!

WinnChill

Timing of it is just a little delayed but the heavy stuff is still on its way...yuck!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So far nothing in the MRV. I was expecting to wait up to downpour. It looks like we've been in a fortunate dry slot, but that doesn't look like it's going to last. Still, we've escaped round one, which is something.

KingM, I don't think you're in a slot. It looks like the leading edge is about to hit you. :cry: