• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Risky Skiing Weather This Weekend

TwinTips21

Looking at the nws forcast it says 50% chance of rain/snow on friday and saturday. Hopefully it's enough to keep the people away but keep the slops in tack. I'll be leaving thursday afternoon/night to head up to ascutney. Don't know where I'm skiing, I'll check out ascutney with my season pass on friday and when I realize is sketchy I might head out to Okemo or Killington on Saturday. Maybe Bromley sunday on the way home.
Any Suggestions^

kingslug

How was Hunter this weekend, monday? Woke up to pouring rain, went back to sleep. Woke up to blue skies and sun. Too late to get up there though. Wasn't the happiest person that day. Vail for next week so I can't complain, too much.

gores95

TwinTips21 said:
Looking at the nws forcast it says 50% chance of rain/snow on friday and saturday. Hopefully it's enough to keep the people away but keep the slops in tack. I'll be leaving thursday afternoon/night to head up to ascutney. Don't know where I'm skiing, I'll check out ascutney with my season pass on friday and when I realize is sketchy I might head out to Okemo or Killington on Saturday. Maybe Bromley sunday on the way home.
Any Suggestions^

Hey Twintips...going to Sugarbush Thurs-Sunday. I am really nervous that its going to rain on Fri/Sat. Plunked down a bunch on a slopeside condo so hoping for the best.

I guess that's just New England skiing for ya!! :angry:

TwinTips21

Yea friday isn't looking to great, saturday looks like it will clear up and warm up durng the day with rain/snow overnight into sunday when it changes to snow and we get to drive home in it. :D

Vortex

NECN Matt noyes said. Looks like snow in the mountains, but rain everywhere else a little bit of rain Sat am early in his 5 am forecast. that is the most optomistic report I have found yet.... see his blog www.mattnoyes.net

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Friday looks like rain/snow. Some reports say rain/snow for Sat others say Sat looks ok Sun has rain/snow. I don't think they really have a clue yet. Roemer is going to have a huge report for Thu..Hope its good news!!!I also have a good chunk of change put down for this weekend.

kickstand

Bob R said:
NECN Matt noyes said. Looks like snow in the mountains, but rain everywhere else a little bit of rain Sat am early in his 5 am forecast. that is the most optomistic report I have found yet.... see his blog www.mattnoyes.net

BobR, thanks for the link. Love Matt Noyes. I think he's best meteorologist in the Boston area right now, although Mish Michaels is a little easier on the eyes :) I hope his optimism holds up. Looking like Wildcat for me on Saturday. Probably the safest bet.

SkiDork

ALLSKIING said:
I will leaving for K Fri and skiing Sat Sun Mon..Hoping for the best weather wise. Sat as of now looks to be the best day.

Hey ALLSKIING - Mattituck. Took the plane there a few times back in the 90s. Tricky runway...

Stop by the 10 at K and say hello if you feel like it... My helmet says "SKIDORK" on it, can't miss it... Yellow backpack.

I'm in Merrick BTW...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
SkiDork said:
ALLSKIING said:
I will leaving for K Fri and skiing Sat Sun Mon..Hoping for the best weather wise. Sat as of now looks to be the best day.

Hey ALLSKIING - Mattituck. Took the place there a few times back in the 90s. Tricky runway...
I am about a mile from the mattituck airport...Friends father is the owner of it..great place to take the snowmobile when LI has some snow..You can get some real speed up on that runway 100+mph crazy..I will do my best to stop by but I am going with a bunch of friends so it depends on how early they all get up :roll:

JimG.

Staff member
I love this site, but as a group you guys think way too much about the weather.

Be there rain or shine, snow or wind, cold or warm, if there is skiable snow on the ground just get out there and ski.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
JimG. said:

Be there rain or shine, snow or wind, cold or warm, if there is skiable snow on the ground just get out there and ski.
Thats true Jim but when you book a 3 to 5 day trip and spend that amount of cash it hurts when it rains. We all can't get POW face shots at MRG during our vacation :wink:

JimG.

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
JimG. said:

Thats true Jim but when you book a 3 to 5 day trip and spend that amount of cash it hurts when it rains. We all can't get POW face shots at MRG during our vacation :wink:

Aw, come on Dave...a little rain won't hurt you.

Just kidding, I don't like it when I book a ski trip and it rains either. But I go out and ski all day anyway.

Maybe I get some nice POW on my trips because ULLR knows I'll go out and ski anyway, even if it's raining. Think of it as a sacrifice to the snow gods.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
JimG. said:
ALLSKIING said:
JimG. said:

Just kidding, I don't like it when I book a ski trip and it rains either. But I go out and ski all day anyway.

Maybe I get some nice POW on my trips because ULLR knows I'll go out and ski anyway, even if it's raining. Think of it as a sacrifice to the snow gods.
:lol: I would bet your right. I will be out in full rain gear.

Vortex

Allskiing, Take Dork up on his offer. They make all the Az folk feel welcome and some of them cross post anyway. Skidork, Tyrolean skier. Skiadkt, AndyZee, Snowsprite has been here as well as Skibumptress. There are others. Just nice group. Just off the top of my head.

Hey kickstand, NECN is the best IMO. I like Tim Kelley. I met him at Reggae weekend. He was cool and I got to have a beer with him. Really cared what the viewers thought.

gores95

Yeah I am hoping that S-Bush somehow either escapes the heavy rain altogether or perhaps gets some wet snow or even sleet. Heavy rain just sux.

That leads to a question...say we get up Friday morning to a pretty steady rain. Lift tix/condo already paid for so the whole family will be skiing anyway. What do you normally wear? Does anyone have rain specific wear? I was thinking of my spring jacket, spring gloves, etc.

Never skied in the rain with my helmet...does it keep your head dry??? :wink:

Marc

TwinTips21

I actually have all those same questions, hopefully its just light. NWS now saying mayb a dusting-inch early so we'll just have to wait and see. Just remember at least the rain will keep the crowds away! I'm leaving at 3:00 tomo and I'll be passing dorset farms to hit the small road that leads to warbasse jnct, to 206 etc. Maybe I'll see you. :D

Tyrolean_skier

JimG. said:
ALLSKIING said:
JimG. said:

JimG, as another K-zoner has stated, when you have lemons make lemonade. I will be out in my rain gear if that is what Mother Nature sends our way but I am hoping that it will be snow instead.

Allskiing, by all means, try to stop by the 10 AM meeting either on Saturday or Sunday. I won't be there on Saturday as I have a class that starts at 9:30 but SkiDork should be there and you can't miss him - he's 6'5", wears a black helmet with Skidork & Ty on it and also wears a yellow backpack.

BobR when are you paying us a visit?

gores95

TwinTips21 said:
I actually have all those same questions, hopefully its just light. NWS now saying mayb a dusting-inch early so we'll just have to wait and see. Just remember at least the rain will keep the crowds away! I'm leaving at 3:00 tomo and I'll be passing dorset farms to hit the small road that leads to warbasse jnct, to 206 etc. Maybe I'll see you. :D

I'll be gone by noon. Pierce Road that is....watch for the deer!!! :eek:

Have a good trip up and to everyone "brave" enough to make it out this weekend.... :beer:

Marc

skibum1321

I usually just wear my regular gear in heavy rain. My pants and jacket stay pretty dry but the gloves get really wet. The helmet keeps my head pretty dry too.