• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

dmc

This is funny...
A fan of Apple products gets called a "bigot" and "Hipster" some other names too...

I just like the stuff because it works and does everything I need to do - very nicely... I still run windows... But on VMware on my Macbook.. :) My Macbook, Iphone and IMac kick ass.. They run flawlessly and 2 me are better at music and video. They are also UNIX based which make this UNIX geek comfortable..

Yeah they're more costly then others... But the stuff just works..

wa-loaf

I think the iPad will be a total failure in the market. It has no compelling reason to own it. Unlike an iPhone, it doesn't fit in your pocket. I think most people will look at it and walk away. It doesn't do anything you can't already do on a Mac or a PC. There will be a small market for gadget freaks and Apple bigots but I doubt it will ever make the mainstream like iPod, iPhone, or the Mac.

People said the same thing about the iPod. There were other mp3 players out there with more capacity and better features on paper, but no one puts it all together better than apple. This isn't for the techie crowd. It's for the folks who just want to turn on something and have it work to surf, play music and vids. Price will weed some people out, but it's for the early adopters. Personally I don't want one right now, but like the iphone in a year or two once the bugs are worked out and the price comes down some I might be interested.

It has a micro sim card, so if your phone company works with those you are not locked to ATT. It's a fully unlocked device.

midd

great quote that I think sums up the Apple/PC user debate

The people who hate Apple products think that if Apple users put some time and effort in, they'd be able to get equivalents that are as good or better.

The people who love Apple think that to get equivalents that are as good or better, they'd have to put in time and effort.

dmc

great quote that I think sums up the Apple/PC user debate

good one...

To use the same printer it took me 15 minutes to setup on my girls HP Laptop and on my Macbook... I just plugged the thing in and it worked... crazy...

I'm done f'ing with computers... I used to be into building "gamers" and stuff.. I have so much old equipment laying around that I just toss it... :)

WakeboardMom

People said the same thing about the iPod. There were other mp3 players out there with more capacity and better features on paper, but no one puts it all together better than apple. This isn't for the techie crowd. It's for the folks who just want to turn on something and have it work to surf, play music and vids. Price will weed some people out, but it's for the early adopters. Personally I don't want one right now, but like the iphone in a year or two once the bugs are worked out and the price comes down some I might be interested.

It has a micro sim card, so if your phone company works with those you are not locked to ATT. It's a fully unlocked device.

YES! I am personally excited by this for all the reasons that folks were enthusiastic above. The iPad for the non-techie people who like to leave their computers at work.

I have no serious need for a laptop, but last year I bought myself an old Sony Vaio just to surf the web at my second home. It's kind of big to lug around, has a loud hard drive and no battery life. But that's okay for the way that I use it. I paid 200 bucks for it on eBay. I put my iTunes account on that; and just last week was given an iTouch that my son won in a raffle. : - )

My husband bought himself a netbook to use the same way I use that laptop. I personally hate the netbook; but it is easy to carry around.

I would buy an iPad because it does all the stuff that I wanna do when I'm not at work. I'm psyched about the sizeof the unit, the screen size and the 10-hour battery life. I wouldn't buy a Kindle, but I would use this to read books. There have to be more people out there like me, don't you think?

WakeboardMom

You can get macs word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software for it ... compatible with MS Office.

Okay...so if I wanted to write a letter or import an address list I could do that; and swap the files back-and-forth from the iPad to my work PC via e-mail? That could be useful.

Glenn

I have no idea how well it will do. But I can bet that you'll see someone using one next time you're in a Starbucks.

I'm awaiting to see the sales results on the "iDump" once they make it public. I think it's in beta now...

itoilet.jpg

dmc

Okay...so if I wanted to write a letter or import an address list I could do that; and swap the files back-and-forth from the iPad to my work PC via e-mail? That could be useful.

When i was using a PC at work and a MAC at home - I would use a secured "cloud" to store my docs on the net and access them from either machine. Can even access my "cloud" from my IPhone which is nice too...

tarponhead

I don't think eBook will ever catch on since it's yet another appliance to lug around. What would catch on is a more modular notebook computer where you can detatch the screen if all you want to do is read something in comfort.

The nook is doing pretty well. Can share books too

WakeboardMom

When i was using a PC at work and a MAC at home - I would use a secured "cloud" to store my docs on the net and access them from either machine. Can even access my "cloud" from my IPhone which is nice too...

I don't have anything that important. But thank you for the idea...

BackLoafRiver

Didn't Google release "Google Doc's" a few months ago which does essentially the same thing?

legalskier

Here's what The Onion is reporting:

"Claiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. 'Come on, Steve, just think—think, dammit—you're running out of time,' the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. 'Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work. Just need to write 'tablet' on this little strip of masking tape here and I'm golden. Oh, come on, you piece of shit! Just stick already!' Middle-of-the-night sources reported that Jobs then began work on double-spacing his Keynote presentation and increasing the font size to make it appear longer."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/frantic_steve_jobs_stays_up