• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

legalskier

Colorado man loses part of finger in iPad theft
DENVER – A thief's thirst for a brand new iPad cost a Colorado man not only a much-coveted device but also two-thirds of a pinky finger. Doctors had to amputate part of Bill Jordan's left pinky after a man Thursday yanked away a bag containing an iPad that Jordan had just purchased at a Denver mall. Jordan, 59, had the cord of the bag wrapped around his left hand when the thief "completely blind-sided" him and jerked the bag off his hand, stripping the flesh of Jordan's finger down to the bone. "He kept pulling until something had to give, and it wound up being my finger," Jordan said

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ipad_...pY2xlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDY29sb3JhZG9tYW5s

dmc

wow....

I checked one out last week.... It's a SEXY device... Appears to be smooth and seamless.
Looks great... Works great... Sounds great...
But I'm still waiting.. I'm hearing DHCP issues are keeping it from other countries...

dmc

Princeton U has banned it, at least temporarily. Israel will confiscate it.

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/...rom-israel-and-2-american-universities/883578

Like I said... Next generation...

I'd like to see a camera... Maybe front facing so I can do video conferencing...

However... The new Iphone coming out on June may take my resources... It's going to have touchpad on the back for navigation like the new mouse Apple put out...
My IPhone is beat up... and work pays for it now... So - it's not a stretch to replace it..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
How's the touch keypad feel on it? Love the idea, but that would hold me back... not sure how I feel about typing on something that doesn't feel like individual keys. Still, very intrigued... Wish school recognized the value in ebooks; would make this an excellent tool for students and a money-saver in the long run. I've tried reading books on the iTouch and while it works, would be nicer on a bigger screen that's still more portable than a laptop.

It has it's place... but it's not for everyone either.

dmc

Keypad is nice.... Bigger... So it's easier..

Glenn

It looks like a neat device. It'll be interesting to see if this is something that will replace the laptop/netbook or fill a void between a smartphone and a netbook/notebook.

dmc

It looks like a neat device. It'll be interesting to see if this is something that will replace the laptop/netbook or fill a void between a smartphone and a netbook/notebook.

Or maybe just start a whole new category....

drjeff

One of my local dental colleagues, who is a BIG Apple fan, and who I have lunch with a few times a week, got his ipad the 1st day it was released, and brings it with him to lunch (makes showing x-rays/digital pictures for the cases we often discuss at lunch quite easy). He's still not quite sure how this fits into his stable of Apple products. As he puts it, there's some things that it does better than his iPhone, but not as good as his iMac and other things where he's rather have his iPhone over his iPad. He also says that he definately not a fan of it's own special charger (would like it to be standardized with his other portable apple devices) and the lack of USB inputs :mad:

Overall though, he's like a kid with a new toy as he puts it. He's happy with it, but is wondering if he'll outgrow the novelty of its newness sometime soon???

dmc

makes showing x-rays/digital pictures for the cases we often discuss at lunch quite easy

No doubt... the medical field always seems to latch onto these types of devices. Portability and graphic power is key...

drjeff

No doubt... the medical field always seems to latch onto these types of devices. Portability and graphic power is key...

Like I said, if they just had a USB port to make it EASIER to transfer the images/pictures from the digi-cam/windows based hard drive that basically 99% of digital x-rays/images are stored on, you'd have a total home run for quick, easy, portable medical field discussion of images on a device where the screen size makes it easy to view them in detail!

dmc

Like I said, if they just had a USB port to make it EASIER to transfer the images/pictures from the digi-cam/windows based hard drive that basically 99% of digital x-rays/images are stored on, you'd have a total home run for quick, easy, portable medical field discussion of images on a device where the screen size makes it easy to view them in detail!

You can store stuff on a "cloud" and access it instead of using a usb storage device...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You can store stuff on a "cloud" and access it instead of using a usb storage device...

I think you can buy an adapter too to go from the dock connection to USB, and I think Apple is making a SD card reader for that connection as well. For a price, naturally. When I'm on the road though, I have stuff like a USB microscope camera I'd need USB ports for. Card reader is real handy too.

Glenn

I read an interesting blurb on Apple the other day. 3 years ago, the iPhone didn't exist. It now makes up for 40% of Apple's business. Pretty amazing. Like Apple or not, they're good at spotting trends and producing products people want.

mondeo

I read an interesting blurb on Apple the other day. 3 years ago, the iPhone didn't exist. It now makes up for 40% of Apple's business. Pretty amazing. Like Apple or not, they're good at spotting trends and producing products people want.
Thing is, what the iPhone does now and iPad is supposed to do are no-brainers. iPod was innovation. iPhone and iPad are cases of putting products into the marketplace, with tons of sexy marketing, a year before the hardware is capable of providing the experience people really want. A year from now, and AMD will have a chip that can go into an iPad-like device (possibly even the next iPad,) and provide pretty much the same performance a notebook can today at power levels similar to whatever's in the current iPad. Which means a year from now, the iPad can be more than just a big iTouch, or you can have a fully featured Win7-based tablet. Or whatever. But because Apple's been in the market with their big-screen iTouch for a year already at that point, they'll have the market lead.

Trend-spotting and making products people want are way back seat relative to marketing at Apple.