• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

Glenn

It's weird... The phone is still mine but my company pays for it now. And will pay for a new one - but i get to keep it if I leave...

I love this company.. For real - they take care of us...

I "think" our setup is sorta similar. It's an employees phone, and employees pay the bill (reimbursed), but IT will set it up and support it. I'll check with IT and see how it's done.

But I do know it has to be a BlackBerry and I think they request you go with Verizon.

dmc

I "think" our setup is sorta similar. It's an employees phone, and employees pay the bill (reimbursed), but IT will set it up and support it. I'll check with IT and see how it's done.

But I do know it has to be a BlackBerry and I think they request you go with Verizon.

I never see the bill.... :)
Only thing that bugs me is that it show the company name as my name on caller ID now... Gotta fix that.. :)

dmc

It's fallout from the Adobe flash shit.. Which i agree with.. And I've done development in Flash - IPhones aren't optimized for Flash. Anything that exists on the web currently would have to be rewritten because it would be unreadable. Also because people use touch to navigate so buttons and stuff would need to be redone.
Apple has laid out a great SDK(software development kit) thats easy to use and is getting better each release.

One of my flash maps I did for Hunter a looong time ago... Got a free pass out of it..
This isn't the final version... It's still a working version... I have to find the final...
http://www.powderhound.org/flash/HunterMap.swf

Also one for Tucks... doesnt seem to work on Chrome...
http://www.powderhound.org/tucks/TuckermanMap.html

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This is all stuff that was said about the iPod when it first came out. There were other mp3 players with more capacity or features than the iPod. Apple just puts it together better than anyone else.
Nah. I am comparing the iPad to the iPod and iPhone, not to non-Apple originals. I am comparing Apple to itself that this is not a game changer. And it is not. As someone else mentioned, tablets have been around for while. The first table I can remember was over half dozen years ago. Tablets pre-date the iPod even. Also, it is not logical to suggest just because someone said something about something in the past that was not true that the same thing can not be said about another thing and be true. Comparing to the iPod... Apple wrote the rules of the game. Here, Apple is playing catch up to the Kindle and revising old tech (the tablet) that didn't take off. This is not the game changing innovation of the iPod and you will not hear tablets in general be generified into the term "pads". Two different beasts.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I love the whole Flash vs Apple thing. Very Microsoft move by Apple, here. Being very protective and we all know where that got MS. Part of me hopes Apple wins so Flash gets sucker punched. The prevalence of content embedded in Flash drives me nuts. I suppose Adobe losing a legal battle really won't do much for bad web based content implementation... Oh well, either way, I am grabbing the popcorn on this battle.

And of course, this is one more limitation of the iPad.... and how is Apple helping protect user experience by not allowing Adobe to do their thing? Won't the marketplace take care of sub-standard App's? Apple does not think their customers can weed out the crap and makes the decision for them and as a result also prevents customers from accessing Flash content? Huh.

mondeo

Apple is a far more closed-off company than Microsoft, has been for a while. Antitrust has been a long time coming for them. Windows can't come packaged with IE (in Europe) but Apple can say no, you can't develop anything that uses Flash on our hardware? WTF is that? The only reason they've gotten away with it for this long is that they've always been the underdog. The little guy. Obviously they're only good for competition...

Flash may suck, but this is purely a "we don't want Adobe to get any money" move by Apple.

dmc

Adobe will lose...
Palm will lose..

the strong will survive..
Both great technologies but they didn't keep up..
Black Berries, IPhones, etc have pummeled Palm...
Web 2.0 has taken over on the UI so there's really generally no need for Flash..

mondeo

Adobe will lose...
Palm will lose..

the strong will survive..
Both great technologies but they didn't keep up..
Black Berries, IPhones, etc have pummeled Palm...
Web 2.0 has taken over on the UI so there's really generally no need for Flash..
Flash will die, but Adobe will do fine. Whether or not a technology will survive on its own doesn't matter to antitrust, though, it's the business practices that surround it. Vertical integration is pretty heavily frowned upon, and that's Apple's M.O.

wa-loaf

Apple is a far more closed-off company than Microsoft, has been for a while. Antitrust has been a long time coming for them. Windows can't come packaged with IE (in Europe) but Apple can say no, you can't develop anything that uses Flash on our hardware? WTF is that? The only reason they've gotten away with it for this long is that they've always been the underdog. The little guy. Obviously they're only good for competition...

Flash may suck, but this is purely a "we don't want Adobe to get any money" move by Apple.

It's not about allowing Flash on the iPhone. This is pretty specific where Adobe had developed a compiler for Flash CS5 that would export flash games/apps into a iPhone app compatible format. Apple just blocked that.

mondeo

Already did. HP just bought them.
I predict the current CEO of HP (Mark Hurd) will be ousted in an internal scuttlebut as Palm as a unit, along with 3com, posts losses for the next year or so, but eventually leads to dramatic growth at HP as they fully take advantage of the synergies the now-lambasted CEO had envisioned.

And then Hurd will run for Senate about 8 years after being fired.

On a serious note, interesting to note the businesses that HP has recently bought. Guessing they're gonna go for an Apple-like strategy - all consumer techs, from media player to phone to tablet to PC. Plus they have their existing backroom IT techs. Could end up demolishing Blackberry.

dmc

I predict the current CEO of HP (Mark Hurd) will be ousted in an internal scuttlebut as Palm as a unit, along with 3com, posts losses for the next year or so, but eventually leads to dramatic growth at HP as they fully take advantage of the synergies the now-lambasted CEO had envisioned.

Back in my AT&T days I reported to Carli Fiorina's husband Frank...
He took us out on his yacht for a cruise around NYC... I took a dump in the head...

Whenever she's on the news.. I think about that... :)

ctenidae

Unlikely. The corporate world is completely locked in to Blackberry.

Our CTO is considering breaking us away from Blackberry. we're the first shop he's been at running it at an enterprise level, and he's amazed at the number of problems we constantly have. He's got 2 support folks devoted to troubleshooting Blackberries for 130 people. I told him I'm more than happy to be a guinea pig for whatever new phones he wants to test out.

ctenidae

Back in my AT&T days I reported to Carli Fiorina's husband Frank...
He took us out on his yacht for a cruise around NYC... I took a dump in the head...

Whenever she's on the news.. I think about that... :)

That's awesome.

mondeo

Unlikely. The corporate world is completely locked in to Blackberry.
Certainly not within the next few years, but if HP develops some super slick enterprise integration stuff, from phone to mobile PCs to desktops to servers, I could see companies already running HP hardware switching over relatively quickly. Then once HP gets its foot in the door, they have the resources to blow it wide open. They're also really only one of two companies that really crosses over between corporate and consumer (Dell's the other,) so they've probably got some edge in the lower ranks of the corporate world where people want something between a Crackberry and an iPhone.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't have much faith in HP. Totally unrelated, but every single printer I've ever had of theirs has completely sucked. That to me would seem like much easier technology to master than cpus, palms etc.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't have much faith in HP. Totally unrelated, but every single printer I've ever had of theirs has completely sucked. That to me would seem like much easier technology to master than cpus, palms etc.
Wow...I've have had the same experience with their printers. After 3, I gave up.

Like I said, if universities jumped on the ebook bandwagon, iPad would sell like hotcakes. And I pick it over the kindle and similarly spec'd readers (which, BTW, cost around the same) because of the trendiness factor, plus I know that, at least at our school, we get discounts on Apple products and they promote them in all the campus co-op bookstores. But as it stands, they're discouraged, which is a shame. While I like the tangibility of books, they take up so much space and I'm running out of room--plus it's heavy to carry a bunch around. I would love to put a whole semester's worth of books (which is usually 15-20 books) on one device and only have that to carry.