• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

mondeo

I don't have much faith in HP. Totally unrelated, but every single printer I've ever had of theirs has completely sucked. That to me would seem like much easier technology to master than cpus, palms etc.
All consumer printers I've ever worked with have sucked. I've got a Brother networked laser printer now. High enough up the ladder that it's decent quality, plus it's nice to be able to print from any computer without having the computer hooked up to it turned on.

wa-loaf

This is funny, and cool on Apple's part:

[Apple's] focus this week has been to troubleshoot all the iPad 2s that customers are returning to the stores. One iPad came back with a post it note on it that said "Wife said no." It was escalated as something funny, and two of the VPs got wind of it. They sent the guy an iPad 2 with a note on it that said "Apple said yes."

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This is funny, and cool on Apple's part:

that's hilarious.

I kind of want a Xoom tablet or other Android tab but I think they are still 1 - 2 years from primetime... I need to be able to do some business tasks on it (word processing, etc.) I use Google Docs and all that a lot but still there's no built in print function, etc.

It's gonna get easier as we all move to more and more web-based services to have nice lightweight devices with content out in the "Cloud".

Speaking of, did anyone see the Amazon announcement about "amazon cloud drive" - lets you put all your iTunes music & playlists into the cloud so you can stream them to your phone, PC, wherever without having to actually take all the files with you.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore

It's only a matter of time before your entire harddrive is just online somewhere. For better or for worse :)

mondeo

that's hilarious.

I kind of want a Xoom tablet or other Android tab but I think they are still 1 - 2 years from primetime... I need to be able to do some business tasks on it (word processing, etc.) I use Google Docs and all that a lot but still there's no built in print function, etc.

It's gonna get easier as we all move to more and more web-based services to have nice lightweight devices with content out in the "Cloud".

Speaking of, did anyone see the Amazon announcement about "amazon cloud drive" - lets you put all your iTunes music & playlists into the cloud so you can stream them to your phone, PC, wherever without having to actually take all the files with you.

It's only a matter of time before your entire harddrive is just online somewhere. For better or for worse :)
That would suck on rt 100/103. A lot of places I don't get service through there. Or on an airplane.

Windows Phone 7 is pretty heavily cloud based. All contact information is kept on Windows Live, pictures can be automatically uploaded to the cloud, Office documents are kept there. But some things you still want local, especially if you don't have an unlimited data plan.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That would suck on rt 100/103. A lot of places I don't get service through there. Or on an airplane.

That's a good point. It's easy to take it for granted. I remember that ice storm we had in MA / NH a few years back when literally half the state lost power. I was in an OK area but it's bizarre because my office was in the ice zone with no power. Literally cell phones didn't work, you couldn't fill up your gas tank, everything was just completely shut down.

Geoff

that's hilarious.

I wouldn't mind keeping data on my personal server since I know I can https, sftp, and ssh to it but there's no way I'm going to give Google or Amazon or Microsoft control over my data.

dmc

I wouldn't mind keeping data on my personal server since I know I can https, sftp, and ssh to it but there's no way I'm going to give Google or Amazon or Microsoft control over my data.

I give Google and Apple control over some of my data.. But nothing I'd ever think would be bad if it got out..

I also use some other clouds.. For instance - I have an APP for the band Phish. Where all the music(live shows) I've purchased are streaming on the net. So I don't really need to have that music on my computers anymore.

The cloud is still the internet to me until it's integrated into an app or something..
My Apple(ME) cloud is integrated into lots of stuff now... it's nice... Especially using multiple devices.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I love using Google services. I use Google docs a lot now for word processing since I can pick it up literally anywhere and never have to worry about what is where and what copy is the most current.

o3jeff

Those of you that have them, you still like them? Debating on getting one more for just surfing the internet. Would I need more than the base $499 model since I'm not looking to do anything to fancy with it.

dmc

Love mine.. Use it for mostly business and travel.

Geoff

Love mine.. Use it for mostly business and travel.

Can you actually travel on business without a notebook computer?

I guess maybe if I'm just airplane and conference room. If I actually have to roll up my sleeves and do something, I need more tools.

dmc

Can you actually travel on business without a notebook computer?

I guess maybe if I'm just airplane and conference room. If I actually have to roll up my sleeves and do something, I need more tools.

Depends on what I'm doing.. If I'm rolling in for some meetings and presentations.. No problem - and my back thanks me.. If I need to plug in and do some technical stuff - I either need my PC or my MAC.

One of my customers does remote desktop from IPad to desktop - it's SICK! total access - great resolution.. The company I work for is looking into this too.

o3jeff

Those of you that have them, you still like them? Debating on getting one more for just surfing the internet. Would I need more than the base $499 model since I'm not looking to do anything to fancy with it.

I ended up getting reconditioned one a few months, pretty much all I use now.