• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

wa-loaf

ipad.jpg

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2010/01/ipad_apples_way_of_reaching_ou.html?sc=fb&cc=fp

dmc

I'm usually an early adapter... I like the concept.. Need to go check one out but I do like the concept..
Probably going to wait a couple generations(os changes,etc) and then consider...

tarponhead

My wife already has a iphone and gets hit up for an extra $30/month for the 3G data stream. If you get an ipad, I have to assume ATT will add more to the usage fee for the increased bandwidth?? I'm not tech savy so those who are please give me a clue.

Also, the $500 for the Ipad gets you 8 gb, That ain't $hit for the applicatons it can support.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My wife already has a iphone and gets hit up for an extra $30/month for the 3G data stream. If you get an ipad, I have to assume ATT will add more to the usage fee for the increased bandwidth?? I'm not tech savy so those who are please give me a clue.

Also, the $500 for the Ipad gets you 8 gb, That ain't $hit for the applicatons it can support.

Why bother with telco connectivity? If I had it I'd use it like an iTouch (iTouch is an IPhone without the phone). It connect via wifi. Free. Nada connectivity charges. I'm able to find wireless connections all over the place. So what if I can't sent email while I'm driving? So what if I can't cruise the web on the highway?

I use my iTouch like a Lite PC: read email and docs, run puny, limited functionality apps. Do I really want to write anything other than a short message or note on the iTouch. Nah. Do I really want to work on excel sheets or project mgt? Nah.

I check my email, respond tersely, save the heavy duty correspondence for a landing place.

How would I use an iKotex? Probably as a larger screen that let's me type notes with both hands rather than one finger. Do excel, project or other apps? Nah. Run lightweight versions of apps? yep.

I want something that boots up nearly instantaneously (even the iTouch can be annoying.)

And all this comes from someon who experienced every PC ever made, way back to the 8080 and Z80 days. I want simple, easy to use, easy to lug. I don't want robustness from an iKotex. I want it portable, fast to connect and use, fast to shut down.

dmc

When I think of the IPad usage for myself - I immediately think of being on the road..

10 hours of battery is a long time.. Having this on a plane for reading and watching movies would be nice.. Being able to do some work - I'm sure there's going to be apps for Word and Excel - would be great.. Fast boot up is great.. PRobably a lot easier to use then a laptop in coach seats too...

I like it - but I'm going to wait a bit and see how the next gens go.... But i really do like it..

mondeo

I see very little point to the iPad. Looks to be an iTouch with a larger screen; sure there's some market, but who would spend that much for it when they'll almost certainly have an iPhone already? But it's Apple, so they'll put their marketing machine to work, use some catchy songs in commercials with no meaning, and get the word out through "interviews" that it's a paradigm shift. And they'll add another small nation's GDP to their bottom line.

I was expecting something a bit upmarket from where it ended up, with OSX on it, not the iPhone OS. At least an OSX light.

dmc

I see very little point to the iPad. Looks to be an iTouch with a larger screen; sure there's some market, but who would spend that much for it when they'll almost certainly have an iPhone already? But it's Apple, so they'll put their marketing machine to work, use some catchy songs in commercials with no meaning, and get the word out through "interviews" that it's a paradigm shift. And they'll add another small nation's GDP to their bottom line.

I was expecting something a bit upmarket from where it ended up, with OSX on it, not the iPhone OS. At least an OSX light.

I'll spend that much after a couple generations for sure... Again - I see it as a great tool for travel, presentation and entertainment. Not a replacement for my Macbook.
Lot's of my "techie" friends are considering it as well.. IPhones already are UNIX based so is this.. So I don't see many limitations for running software at that level.

Apple is a great American company.. I don't know why everyone is so flippant about it..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

Apple has vision, that is for sure. There is a point to the iPad, indeed. The eBook business has been buzzing for a while that the iPad would be the Kindle-Killer in the eBook reader market. The problem is how quickly the current eBook readers are going to become obsolete due to innovations like the iPad... which in itself is going to be obsolete if Apple does not push the boundary further.

This is a step towards where this is all going but just another small step with limited current usage and application. Its too small and limited to be a laptop replacement but too big, bloated, and expensive to just be an eBook Reader and multimedia player. But in a few years, I can see Netbooks being abandoned completely in favor of this new generation of useful tablets, especially in the traveling business world. Add in a telephone via bluetooth with Voice Recognition for application such as email and word processor combined with an even more robust touch screen for user interface and this eventually could be a lap top killer in the long run.

For the current market, kind of a novelty with limited practical use (especially as an eBook Reader twice as expensive as the average). But in the long run, a good position for Apple to be in to be the first major innovator for this type of device.

Geoff

I think the iPad will be a total failure in the market. It has no compelling reason to own it. Unlike an iPhone, it doesn't fit in your pocket. I think most people will look at it and walk away. It doesn't do anything you can't already do on a Mac or a PC. There will be a small market for gadget freaks and Apple bigots but I doubt it will ever make the mainstream like iPod, iPhone, or the Mac.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think the iPad will be a total failure in the market. It has no compelling reason to own it.
Of course it does... it's an Apple!

Seriously though, I thought the same thing about the Kindle. Who is going to pay $300 to purchase a limited supply of eBooks and read magazines? Too expensive. Any Apple hipster interested in purchasing an eBook Reader will surely buy an iPad compared to any other eBook reader at even double the cost. Personally, I don't think the market is there yet... all of these devices are too expensive. But there are a lot of early adopters with money to burn out there....

Geoff

Of course it does... it's an Apple!

Seriously though, I thought the same thing about the Kindle. Who is going to pay $300 to purchase a limited supply of eBooks and read magazines? Too expensive. Any Apple hipster interested in purchasing an eBook Reader will surely buy an iPad compared to any other eBook reader at even double the cost. Personally, I don't think the market is there yet... all of these devices are too expensive. But there are a lot of early adopters with money to burn out there....

I don't think eBook will ever catch on since it's yet another appliance to lug around. What would catch on is a more modular notebook computer where you can detatch the screen if all you want to do is read something in comfort.

midd

I think it'll be a hit. 99.9% of non-work computer users need internet browsing, email, photos, video, music and not much else. this device will do them all.

It'll crush the netbook market and I think it'll make people redefine what they need in a home computing device. I'll be buying my wife one instead of a laptop.

$30 data plan, with no contract is a great idea too.