• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roof rack recommendation please ?

Beast_Ed

Website
youtube.com
I have a Subaru Legacy and need a rocket box for ski crap and then whatever else my wife wants to bring when we travel (kitchen sink?).

My boards are 182s so I don't think I can get a smaller box. I'd also like a box I can bring with me to the next car, when I upgrade to the Range Rover - lol.

Any thoughts for me?

B-Stead

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I have a Subaru Legacy and need a rocket box for ski crap and then whatever else my wife wants to bring when we travel (kitchen sink?).

My boards are 182s so I don't think I can get a smaller box. I'd also like a box I can bring with me to the next car, when I upgrade to the Range Rover - lol.

Any thoughts for me?

B-Stead

Thule or Yakima are both good, suggestion, don't skimp on size. I got a smaller one and it meets my needs, but if I were to buy one again, I would get a bigger one.

SKIQUATTRO

go with the Yak box with the handle to close/open...witht the Thule boxes you use the key to open/close and if you use too much force the key will snap in the lock and you wont be able to open or close your cargo box.....I wanted the Yak, but i needed the box for a trip and noone had the size i needed so i had to get the thule....wont make that mistake again

SkiDork

I have a Thule Atlantis 2100 on my Burban. My 190 BROs fit fine in there. I can fit about 10 pairs of skis in it.

wa-loaf

1600 is about as big as you can go with the subaru wagon or the rear hatch won't open.

Beast_Ed

Website
youtube.com
So it sounds like the Yakima box is superior, due to the opening/closing latch vs. the key. And that I should go with something big, but not too big so the Subie rear hatch opens.

Anyone know about cross bars vs rails to hold the thing?

Beast_Ed

Website
youtube.com
Do you have the factory rack on your subi?

No, I have the Legacy with the two sunroofs, a 2004 model. It has rails down the side, but nothing across the middle of the roof.

I'm going to go to a few sporting good stores today to see if I can learn more. Then maybe shop online or on craig's list.

B-Stead

wa-loaf

You'll need to get some cross bars. If you get Thule/Yakima bars, you might be able to get a bigger box since it will sit up higher.

mlctvt

I've got a Subaru box for sale but it's actuallly a Thule, Brand new never installed. $275.00. I'll PM you

It came with my '05 Subaru Legacy that I bought used. The original owner bought the box but never mounted it on the car.