• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1-27-10: Surf's Up NJ!

deadheadskier

Staff member
The cruel ways of nature in the East. The winter months have the best surf. I see quite a few people out at Hampton Beach in the winter.

SKIQUATTRO

i've been out a few times, water is 40-42, not as cold as it as been in years past...i only go out when its 3-4', and i can longboard with minamal amount of duckdiving....fun for an hour or 2 if you cant be up skiing....

Bumpsis

I usually ride through to January, until the water temp drops below 40*F. My 4mm westsuit is just not enough insulation for colder water. I'mk also in the water for a much shorter session. Getting anything thicker for full blown winter riding is just not my game. My closet is already stuffed with too many wet suits, hoods, gloves, booties.

With limited time, I'd miss out on skiing.

Despite the insulation, surfing in cold water is not a cake walk. A duckdive still hurts, your face is exposed and getting dunked in ice cold water is just not pleasant. Then there is the wicked cold wind when you're sitting waiting for the wave.
But even catching a small peeler is just divine. It's worth it, to a point.

SKIQUATTRO

thats why i just longboard in the winter now....one too many close calls in bigger winter surf...just not worth it..

ZYDECORICH

thats why i just longboard in the winter now....one too many close calls in bigger winter surf...just not worth it..

I used to do that back in the late 70's when I was a lifeguard in Beach Haven NJ. I didn't care for it then and could never think about it now. Its my summer thing. If I wanted waves that bad i'd go to Rincon for a few days in the winter. Indian Wells in Amagansett is where I surf mostly now...close to home and the Talkhouse is down the road. warm water...cold beer.