• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ready to Roll for 2010.....

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I'm starting to get pumped for the upcoming MTB season. MTB websites are now starting to make their way into my regular web browsing time. :beer:

Me too . . .

After over 1,000 miles on the Road Bike last year, I'm going full speed into MTB this year. I'm buying a hard tail 29er, and jumping headlong into the Saratoga Mountain Bike Association trails with some buddies (as soon as the mud starts to go away). Totally psyched.

WoodCore

Me too . . .

After over 1,000 miles on the Road Bike last year, I'm going full speed into MTB this year. I'm buying a hard tail 29er, and jumping headlong into the Saratoga Mountain Bike Association trails with some buddies (as soon as the mud starts to go away). Totally psyched.

Awesome! Have heard great things about those trails in Saratoga! I'll be up that way the last weekend of June for Jazz Fest, maybe a ride is in order?

BackLoafRiver

All this warm weather in Augusta (a week straight of 50 + days) has got me itching to ride. I was at the LBS the other day and it looks like things are starting to dry out a bit on the trails around town. I am ready to go.

Ski hard on the weekend, bike like a fool during the week. Bring it.

WoodCore

All this warm weather in Augusta (a week straight of 50 + days) has got me itching to ride. I was at the LBS the other day and it looks like things are starting to dry out a bit on the trails around town. I am ready to go.

Ski hard on the weekend, bike like a fool during the week. Bring it.

After 3+ inches of rain the trails are going to need a few days to dry out down here in CT regardless I'm on the same page. Itching badly to get back out on the MTB. Bring It!

LaneMeyer

Me too . . .

I hadn't been to Saratoga since it went to the pay system and what was that? 10/11/12 years ago?? I really didn't want to pay to ride that, I didn't think is was worth paying for. But last year I made it back up there and was awestruck by how much it had changed and how much fun it was!!
I plan on riding there as much as possible this year, or as much as my tied down lifestyle allows me too.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm starting to get pumped for the upcoming MTB season. MTB websites are now starting to make their way into my regular web browsing time. :beer:

Now I just need to get my damn front wheel back so I can put my bike back together! :smash:

New front wheel should be on the way. :beer:

BackLoafRiver

I hadn't been to Saratoga since it went to the pay system and what was that? 10/11/12 years ago?? I really didn't want to pay to ride that, I didn't think is was worth paying for. But last year I made it back up there and was awestruck by how much it had changed and how much fun it was!!
I plan on riding there as much as possible this year, or as much as my tied down lifestyle allows me too.

This made me wonder about pay to ride places. I know one of my favorite trail networks, Bradbury Mountain State Park, has a $2 or so fee to ride it . (although we are going to get a state park pass this year) Also, in Parsonfield, there is Back Country Excursions which is much more expensive. ($30 - $40 for a day pass)

How many of you have to pay to ride stuff around your place? Our local NEMBA chapter is constantly building so, aside from Bradbury, I don't pay.

As an aside...the rain stopped here yesterday and we aren't supposed to see any for a while. There is a good chance I can get out Monday!!!!

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com

Sweet, man. Once I get my bike, I'll see you up there.

I don't mind paying a few bucks to a bunch of people who work hard to keep a trail system in sweet shape and build new features all the time. I look at it like a season pass (except a lot cheaper).

took bike in y'day...here is my laundry list:

drive train: maybe front rings...definitely new chain and cassette...tru wheels...hubs loose...brakes, worn to $hit...told them to check of the BB while it was there...winter trail rides in the dark are tuff on the ol gal...figure to budget about $200 for this visit and hopefully will keep me GtG thru the summer

also: bought a slime innertube to check out...anyone have any experience with these?

MR. evil

Just picked up my HT from the bike shop and it's ready to roll. Looking. To get out to my local spot Robinson St Park a couple times this week if the weather permits. Now I just need to get the FS ready.

WoodCore

Just put the finishing touches on The Horse this evening and She's officially ready to roll. After the overhaul in January decided to go all out and added a new cassette, new chain, a new rear wheelset w/ a 10mm bolt through Hope hub and also changed the front tire over to a nice new Nevi. I've got a Stan's no-tubes kit ready to go but haven't pulled that plug and moved to tubeless just yet. Soon though.

MR. evil

Just put the finishing touches on The Horse this evening and She's officially ready to roll. After the overhaul in January decided to go all out and added a new cassette, new chain, a new rear wheelset w/ a 10mm bolt through Hope hub and also changed the front tire over to a nice new Nevi. I've got a Stan's no-tubes kit ready to go but haven't pulled that plug and moved to tubeless just yet. Soon though.

I know several people that have converted Kenda tires to tubeless and they all said it was a royal pain in the ass! The side wall of Kenda tires are very porus and take a long time and even more sealant to seal up. My buddy Red's tires weeped sealant from the side walls for several days before eventually sealing. I have also read on MTBR that Stans Sealant can cuase Kenda tires to blister. Not sure if other sealants have the same reaction.

I have to redo my tubeless set up and add new sealant, going to try something new his year. A concoction of Stans, Slime & latex mold builder all in equal parts.

WoodCore

I know several people that have converted Kenda tires to tubeless and they all said it was a royal pain in the ass! The side wall of Kenda tires are very porus and take a long time and even more sealant to seal up. My buddy Red's tires weeped sealant from the side walls for several days before eventually sealing. I have also read on MTBR that Stans Sealant can cuase Kenda tires to blister. Not sure if other sealants have the same reaction.

I have to redo my tubeless set up and add new sealant, going to try something new his year. A concoction of Stans, Slime & latex mold builder all in equal parts.

Thanks for the heads up! Not sure when or if I'll pull the trigger regardless running tubeless is definitely an option this year.

Jisch

I've converted and used Kenda Bluegroove and Nevegal tires many times. I haven't had any problems getting the sidewall to seal - if the tire has been mounted before, it can be an EXTREME pain to get the bead to seal - to the point where I would say its not worth trying to convert a used Nevegal. If you use a new tire, no issues. As far as blistering with Stans fluid - this doesn't happen, or hasn't happened on the dozen or so Kenda tires (mostly Nevegals) that I've converted. Some of these tires have been on my bike for more than 6 months with no blistering.

John