• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ready to Roll for 2010.....

WoodCore

After a busy 2009 riding season decided that the MK III could use a complete overhaul and seeing that ski season is in full swing decided to pull the trigger and have it done by a professional mechanic at the LBS. Normally I prefer to be the frugal one and wrench it myself but the deal they where offering at Pedal Power was too enticing so needless to say the whip spent a week or so on vacation in Middletown.

Basically for $125.00 plus parts my ride was completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled and tuned. In the process I had a number of components replaced and repaired including new brake pads, bushings on the rear suspension, new tires, new front chain rings and new Gore ride on sealed shifter cables. More importantly during the repairs the tech noticed a crack in the rear triangle of my frame :mad: Even though Iron Horse is out of business I was luckily able to find a replacement on ebay so the Horse lives on for another season.

Anyway I'm ready roll in 2010 and itching to try out my overhauled whip I did basically that as I rode out the door of Pedal Power and down Main Street in Middletown to my vehicle parked a 1/'4 mile away.

:beer:

MR. evil

Just picked up a new Shimmano SLX crank for the Turner. The only other thing I need is a new rear cog and I will be good to roll. The new crank is sexy! I am also looking forward to trying out the new HT once thing thaw.

bvibert

Staff member
Waiting for my new replacement wheels from Azonic to come in, then a tune-up and the HT should be good to go. Still trying to figure out something to get onto a FS for next season, but we'll see what happens...

atvkilla

After a busy 2009 riding season decided that the MK III could use a complete overhaul and seeing that ski season is in full swing decided to pull the trigger and have it done by a professional mechanic at the LBS. Normally I prefer to be the frugal one and wrench it myself but the deal they where offering at Pedal Power was too enticing so needless to say the whip spent a week or so on vacation in Middletown.

Basically for $125.00 plus parts my ride was completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled and tuned. In the process I had a number of components replaced and repaired including new brake pads, bushings on the rear suspension, new tires, new front chain rings and new Gore ride on sealed shifter cables. More importantly during the repairs the tech noticed a crack in the rear triangle of my frame :mad: Even though Iron Horse is out of business I was luckily able to find a replacement on ebay so the Horse lives on for another season.

Anyway I'm ready roll in 2010 and itching to try out my overhauled whip I did basically that as I rode out the door of Pedal Power and down Main Street in Middletown to my vehicle parked a 1/'4 mile away.

:beer:

This seems like a pretty good deal considering a regular tune up (which most shops consider adjusting your derailleur) is like $50 or so.

I sent both my fork and shock out to Suspension Experts in NC to get completely rebuilt and it totalled $245 with shipping. If anyone needs suspension work, I highly recommend them over a Push-type place.

Woodcore, hope to see you soon on the trails.

Jisch

Let me know

Waiting for my new replacement wheels from Azonic to come in, then a tune-up and the HT should be good to go. Still trying to figure out something to get onto a FS for next season, but we'll see what happens...

If you're looking for a used FS bike or frame - let me know what your size and price range are. I keep an eye on the various boards and will alert you if I see something come up that's reasonable.

John

MR. evil

I sent both my fork and shock out to Suspension Experts in NC to get completely rebuilt and it totalled $245 with shipping. If anyone needs suspension work, I highly recommend them over a Push-type place.

if your just looking to get your fork / shock re-built to factory spec alot of people can do it well. But PUSH is on an entirely different level, and their work is pretty much unmatched.

bvibert

Staff member
If you're looking for a used FS bike or frame - let me know what your size and price range are. I keep an eye on the various boards and will alert you if I see something come up that's reasonable.

John

I'll be looking for a big frame, I'm 6'4", so somewhere north of 20". My price range will probably be in the low 1K range, maybe mid 1K if I can pull it off. I'd prefer to find a complete bike so I don't have to dismantle my HT (which I've become somewhat attached to), but I might consider a frame if the price is right. I'm looking for something All Mountainy and somewhat burly since I'm hard on equipment..

If you come across anything I'd appreciate the heads up, thanks!

MR. evil

I have seen brand new Spesh Pitch's going for about $1400 for the base model and a little over $1600 for the Pro model. My buddy Jamie has one and even though I hate Spesh, I have to admit it's a very nice bike for a great price. His only complaint were the stock hubs, them again he destroys hubs with his riding style and the only ones durable enough for him are CK hubs. He new wheels he had built with CK hubs cost almost as much as the Pitch.

bvibert

Staff member
I have seen brand new Spesh Pitch's going for about $1400 for the base model and a little over $1600 for the Pro model. My buddy Jamie has one and even though I hate Spesh, I have to admit it's a very nice bike for a great price. His only complaint were the stock hubs, them again he destroys hubs with his riding style and the only ones durable enough for him are CK hubs. He new wheels he had built with CK hubs cost almost as much as the Pitch.

If I can pull that much money together, and find one in my size that's what I'll get. They are a good deal, and get good reviews.

WoodCore

This seems like a pretty good deal considering a regular tune up (which most shops consider adjusting your derailleur) is like $50 or so.

I thought so! The tech that worked on my bike (Dean) was very personable and communicative during the whole process and most importantly the bike shifts like butter almost better than the day I got it!!!

Likewise ATV! Can't wait to get back out there!

Just picked up a new Shimmano SLX crank for the Turner. The only other thing I need is a new rear cog and I will be good to roll. The new crank is sexy! I am also looking forward to trying out the new HT once thing thaw.

i upgraded the shitful truvativ cranks that came on my marin to the SLX and they have worked out really nicely

Jisch

Enduro

If I can pull that much money together, and find one in my size that's what I'll get. They are a good deal, and get good reviews.

I have a Spec'd Enduro SL - which is the upscale twin of the Pitch - nice bike indeed!

At 6'4" you should really look into a 29er... though at a grand plus you'd probably be better off with a HT. I just got a used 29er HT, nicely set up for $850.

John

bvibert

Staff member
I have a Spec'd Enduro SL - which is the upscale twin of the Pitch - nice bike indeed!

At 6'4" you should really look into a 29er... though at a grand plus you'd probably be better off with a HT. I just got a used 29er HT, nicely set up for $850.

John

Thanks, but I'm all set in the HT department. Plus, I'm not quite ready to drink the 29er cool-aide yet. ;)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
if your just looking to get your fork / shock re-built to factory spec alot of people can do it well. But PUSH is on an entirely different level, and their work is pretty much unmatched.

I agree. I think its been 3 years now and my PUSH'ed Fox shock and its still riding really well... I think the original lasted only 2 years.

MR. evil

I agree. I think its been 3 years now and my PUSH'ed Fox shock and its still riding really well... I think the original lasted only 2 years.

I bought a RockShox Revelation this past summer, and it's already leaking oil from the top of the damper cart. It wil be covered under warranty. Bur now i am thinking I may just snd it off to PUSH. I have read that the Rev's are just awsome after they are PUSD'd.

Jisch

Me neither...

Thanks, but I'm all set in the HT department. Plus, I'm not quite ready to drink the 29er cool-aide yet. ;)

I bought this 29er on a bit of a whim figuring it would mostly sit in my garage - if it didn't work well on the pump track I wouldn't have bought it at all. I find I pull the 29er out more often than I do my FS bikes especially if the rides are going to be fast or long. I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years.

I just think for taller guys the 29er makes a lot of sense (I'm barely 6' so I'm not really including myself). Its a good ride, but certainly NOT magic... in fact I don't know how much of my love of this bike is due to 29 inch wheels and how much is due to the efficiency of the HT after riding FS for so long!

John

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I thought so! The tech that worked on my bike (Dean) was very personable and communicative during the whole process and most importantly the bike shifts like butter almost better than the day I got it!!!

Not to be a Negative Nancy but after paying for a brand new drivetrain and shifter cables, I'd be pretty pissed if it didn't shift like new.