• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any downside to buying last year's model?

New Daddy

I'm thinking of buying new skis.
A quick research found that a few local shops as well as online shops carry last year's models.
They sell at about 30%-40% discount to their successors (i.e., this year's model).

I can't imagine that the improvement of technology justifies a couple of hundred dollars.
Are there any downsides to buying least year's models, assuming the right size is in stock?
For example, can some of these new skis be in bad condition right off the bat due to poor storage during hot summer days?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
No downsides at all. Kinda like cars, many if not most ski models are basically the same for a few years with only minor changes with occasional major platform changes every few years. Often times, the same model ski is nearly identical to the same model/platform released 3 or 4 years ago. Unless you are buying last year's ski during a major platform revision year, you are essentially getting the same ski. And tech ain't changing fast enough that you couldn't buy a brand new ski from five years ago that wouldn't be just as good as today's skis. The changes tend to be summed up as wider = better lately, so that has been the major change lately.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I personally don't understand why anyone would buy 'this years model' unless they're in dire need of new skis and like the particular ski a lot. Is it really worth it to shell out a grand this year instead of paying half that the following summer? to me it certainly isn't.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I personally don't understand why anyone would buy 'this years model' unless they're in dire need of new skis and like the particular ski a lot. Is it really worth it to shell out a grand this year instead of paying half that the following summer? to me it certainly isn't.
Yeah, totally agree.

Hawkshot99

You wont look as cool! Duh!

Many models only change their graphics for a few years. The bases of the skis may be dry, so a waxing could be nice for them, but there should be no damage from sitting. If you had bought them the year before, they would have sat at your house all summer anyway.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
No downsides at all. Kinda like cars, many if not most ski models are basically the same for a few years with only minor changes with occasional major platform changes every few years. Often times, the same model ski is nearly identical to the same model/platform released 3 or 4 years ago. Unless you are buying last year's ski during a major platform revision year, you are essentially getting the same ski. And tech ain't changing fast enough that you couldn't buy a brand new ski from five years ago that wouldn't be just as good as today's skis. The changes tend to be summed up as wider = better lately, so that has been the major change lately.

I do it a lot, for a lot of stuff.

Well, there are only two reasons I can think of to buy new at retail. First, you have to have it now and can't wait and price is secondary. Second you might not be able to get exactly your size. Neither reason would influence me, but I can see why some people would do this.

snowmonster

An added benefit of buying last year's skis is that, in case you weren't able to demo it, you can find someone on one of these forums who's ridden it and can give you a review on it. And, yes, you can't beat the price. Some of the best gear I've bought were in July when shops were unloading to make space for next year's models or when they've forgotten that they have the skis/bindings/whatever somewhere in the back. It pays to poke around and talk ski to the shop guy when it's 90 degrees out.

ERJ-145CA

I bought last year's Watea 78's and they are great and a couple hundred less than this year's. The only thing that changed between this year and last was the topsheet.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I bought last year's Watea 78's and they are great and a couple hundred less than this year's. The only thing that changed between this year and last was the topsheet.

And you know what, you have a more distinctive look. I suspect that 99% of the skiers and boarders can't tell which model year is which by looking at topsheets. Then there's the name change game. I can't think of any other business that changes their artwork so often. Even the fashion industry takes a couple of years for styles to change.

It will be fun 20 years from now to see who still skis on their Wateas ;)