• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good pants for hiking?

kbroderick

OK, I realize that this isn't season-appropriate, but the current Campmor clearance sale got me thinking about various clothing needs, particularly pants for hiking. When I went out last fall, I generally just wore jeans, which fall short due to being cotton and sometimes restrictive of movement; as I'm thinking about spending more time outdoors in the coming spring, I started wondering what I should be looking for to fill in once my Burton AK pants become too heavy.

I'm thinking that I should be concerned about resistance to tearing, response to water, and breathability. The Marmot trail pants at Campmor caught my eye, just because they happened to be on the "Hot Deals" list and available in my size. Is that a reasonable feature list (Supplex nylon material, mesh pockets) and pricepoint ($30), or should I be looking at higher pricepoints? Any particular features I should be looking for?

(I realize that a pair of $80 pants will probably be better, in at least some way, compared to a pair of $30 pants; however, I can't see myself spending $80 on a pair of hiking pants, either.)

thanks

pepsi

My 3 season pants have to have to be quick dry and have zip-off legs with zips at the ankles to get the legs off with boots on. YMMV

Those pants look fine if you wear long pants all the time or want to carry shorts too.

Personally I prefer something like these

I do not have these exact pants but similar one's from Gaylan's for about $15 some and maybe as much as $30 at REI. I like the Gaylan's ones so much that I bought 3 pairs. I don't think you get much more for $80 except that you feel bad when you tear them on day one.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That looks like a good deal. Ideally, something thin, lightweight, and durable, like windbreaker pants works great. I used to hike in Carhartts, but they are too heavy to be versatile.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
personally, i find pants that fit well to be the best pants. that being said, i can't imagine ever buying pants online. i have tried on several pants for hiking and walked out of several stores because i couldn't find something that fit well. particularly, i look for pants that are loose around the knees and thighs when taking a large step up. don't want something restrictively tight in any part of the body but close enough to keep the legs warm. tough compromise. also, i really like hiking pants to be light weight, so those zip off pants to shorts things don't work for me, the zippers add too much weight. i like to wear a bathing suit underneath my pants and have zip ups at the foot hole that allow me to pull the pants off without taking off my boots.

what ever your preferences are, i think fit and comfort should always be tops.

kbroderick

Thanks for the feedback. The fit issue is a good one to think about; although I'm used to buying pants without trying them on, the cut of hiking pants is likely to be a lot more important than it would be with pants for sitting around in an office or whatnot.