• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

4aprice

What is with this magic boundary line that lets nothing move north of the NY border? I am sick of seeing Washington D.C. buried and thinking "you bastards.... that's my snow..... you stole my snow!"

That wall your talking about has been stretched across the Pocono's as well. Aside from Root (Blue Mt) we got nothing more then a coating this past storm while the Shore got plastered. :cry:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So stoked....oh yeah, there's a new map out...

iws0_430.jpg

AMAC2233

Right now, it's looking like Philly, DC, and Baltimore will all beat Boston in snowfall for the winter. That's pretty crazy considering last year, Boston got about 60 inches and those 3 cities together probably didn't get half that. Probably not too far off of Concord, NH either, and way closer to Portland ME and southern VT cities than they shoul dbe.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Another northern New England shut out. Nice upslope recently in NoVT but it just is not cutting it for the rest of New England. Hard to believe we are heading into President's weekend with conditions as they are at most areas excluding those north of I-89 and west of I-91. On the bright side, this storm is sure to pack the resorts full to the gills and MAN will they be surprised to leave snowy MA, CT, and NY coming north to pretty sub-par conditions for February. You MASHers may get more February snow than most ski areas in New England.

Glenn

1-2" for Southern VT? And 8-12" of snow here in CT. What's wrong with this picture?

Here's some sad irony...I was jumping around some weather sites last night. Some sites are very picky regarding what town you put in. They don't like "Dover, VT"...they like "East Dover, VT"...Ok, fine. So I type in Dover VT...Dover TN pops up and it has a winter storm warning. Type in East Dover VT..."No watches or warnings at this time." Frig...........................

jaja111

I'm just waiting for the "trace to less than an inch" to be put in my forecast. We've gone from 6-10in, to 3-5in, to 2-4in, and now 1-3in.

And the worst part about our "stolen" storm snow is, every time, the media coverage, making moderate to slightly heavy snowfalls out to be the end of the world while interviewing the worst whiners they can find.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Voodoo?

I've been thinking about what jrmagic said off-handedly a week ago. It seems that wherever I go it snows. This has become hauntingly accurate. First Magic, then Stowe. Now, I'm off to see family in NJ this weekend. They are in the 12" forecast range. Hmm. I'd better stay north from now on.

So, if you want to plan something, here are my known plans: Feb 20 - Thunderbolt - Western Mass. Weekend of Feb 27+ Stowe-Bolton.

Now, the third week of March I head west for a little Colorado skiing. Hmm, what's that gonna do to the east? :-x

So, how does this map out with Voodoo Lady? Maybe we should talk?

I'd rather chase the snow than have the snow chasing me.

jrmagic

I'm just waiting for the "trace to less than an inch" to be put in my forecast. We've gone from 6-10in, to 3-5in, to 2-4in, and now 1-3in.

And the worst part about our "stolen" storm snow is, every time, the media coverage, making moderate to slightly heavy snowfalls out to be the end of the world while interviewing the worst whiners they can find.

If they want whining people they shoudl speak to us:-(

This sucks so bad for Southern VT

jrmagic

I've been thinking about what jrmagic said off-handedly a week ago. It seems that wherever I go it snows. This has become hauntingly accurate. First Magic, then Stowe. Now, I'm off to see family in NJ this weekend. They are in the 12" forecast range. Hmm. I'd better stay north from now on.

So, if you want to plan something, here are my known plans: Feb 20 - Thunderbolt - Western Mass. Weekend of Feb 27+ Stowe-Bolton.

Now, the third week of March I head west for a little Colorado skiing. Hmm, what's that gonna do to the east? :-x

So, how does this map out with Voodoo Lady? Maybe we should talk?

I'd rather chase the snow than have the snow chasing me.

Make some plans soon to come back to Magic nack dangit!!

Madroch

Hope springs eternal-- BIG north trend on latest NAM-- enough for SVT anyway, which is a start. Too early to celebrate but at least a slim hope.

drjeff

Hope springs eternal-- BIG north trend on latest NAM-- enough for SVT anyway, which is a start. Too early to celebrate but at least a slim hope.

Starting to trend North, which is good. Now we also need to get the width of the bands of heavy snow to increase as well. Right now, the fall off between jackpot and not much is pretty dramatic, where over 50 to 75 miles of Latitude, you could see one place with 15"+ and 75 miles North of there only 3 or 4"

Still lots of variables to figure out in the next 24 hours, but all the goods are there to get some impressive snowfall totals from this one, it's just what state/mountains will they fall over????

MommaBear

I have to run my weekly grocery errand after work. I'll report back on what a cluster you know what that is...and if needed, I'll take a pic of the milk and bread that's no longer there. :lol:

An email from Stop & Shop: (sorry - pictures didn't come thru)

A winter storm has been forecast for your area. Get your supplies.

Make sure your home is well-supplied before the storm hits.

Severe weather has been forecast for our region. To help you prepare, we've put together a Storm Readiness Checklist. It's based on recommendations from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and it includes vital items you should have on hand in case your home loses power or travel conditions become hazardous.

Click here to view and print your checklist now.

Please know that we'll be here to help you and your family in any way we can, through bad weather and at all times.

Be safe,

Your Stop & Shop Team

P.S. You can learn more about bad-weather preparedness at FEMA's website:
http://www.fema.gov.

drjeff

An email from Stop & Shop: (sorry - pictures didn't come thru)

A winter storm has been forecast for your area. Get your supplies.

Make sure your home is well-supplied before the storm hits.

Severe weather has been forecast for our region. To help you prepare, we've put together a Storm Readiness Checklist. It's based on recommendations from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and it includes vital items you should have on hand in case your home loses power or travel conditions become hazardous.

Click here to view and print your checklist now.

Please know that we'll be here to help you and your family in any way we can, through bad weather and at all times.

Be safe,

Your Stop & Shop Team

P.S. You can learn more about bad-weather preparedness at FEMA's website:
http://www.fema.gov.

:lol:

I figure it's only a matter of minutes before every school in CT announces that they're closed for tommorrow, 20+ hours before the 1st flake flies! :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Well, one benefit is this more southern storm is going to get people thinking about skiing this holiday week. Good for the industry.

CT powder tomorrow!