• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost Ski Area: Berkshire Snow Basin

Joshua B

I have pictures from my visit yesterday to Berkshire Snow Basin (located in West Cummington, Massachusetts) up at my web site. Here are a couple samples.

berkshire_snow_basin05.jpg

berkshire_snow_basin01.jpg

skijay

Nice pictures. I saw that place last summer on the way to Pitsfield, MA taking rt 9.

Joshua B

It's a fun hike because there's still so much there. It hasn't been cleaned out as much as say, Mohawk in Shelburne. Also, I found plenty of evidence of snowmaking including a compressor and piping.

O

oldhippie

Cummington Ma!

Hey Joshua! Too cool. Cummington Mass is one of my favorite destinations in the summertime riding my motorcycle. The North/South route 112 is one of the finest "twisties" in Mass and very scenic as well.

At the intersection of Rt 112 and Rt 9 there is a general store/deli that is a great little stop. The sandwiches there are excellent and there is a "Nature Watch" board where everyone posts their latest sightings. You'll see posts like "Saturday 12/20 one Brown Bear and 3 cubs spotted off Rt 112" or Tue 9/7 eagle spotted over reservoir. It's a great place. Clean restrooms too.

Thanks for the posts!! Great stuff!

M

mattfishng

Kind of sad to see a ski area go away. Will there be pics of Brodie Mtn like this in 20yrs.? Interestingly enough is that Jiminy peak killed both.