• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Softshell Vest

SKIQUATTRO

looking for one, any recommendations? deals out there?

will wear as layer under hardshell jacket, alone during fall/spring

SKIQUATTRO

i have plenty of fleece jackets/vests etc...i need a softshell vest for a varitey of reasons....

Bumpsis

I recommend LL Bean's windstopper vest. I'm not really sure if they use the actual Windstopper membrane - it's a Gore product and thus trade name, but functionally it is the same. The vest is also coated with some water shedding formula, like most outer fabrics.
Although not a softshell exactly, functionally is comes really close. It really blocks the wind and provide fleece like warmth. I think that I paid something like $ 40+.
The fleece is of high quality (Malden Mills Polartec) and the overall finish is also like a higher end product.
Good stuff for much less than I've seen in other brands.

BeanoNYC

SAC and Tramdock has been going nuts on Arcteryx softshells lately. Keep your eye on it. Better yet, sign up for Gearburger and they'll email you if something comes up.

WWF-VT

I think what Bumpsis was describing is the LL Bean Wind Challenger Fleece Vest. I own one and highly recommend it.