• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Imp Shelter

tpseller

Can anyone tell me how many people end up at Imp Shelter on an average winter weekend? Is it typically packed?

I saw on VFTT that the shelter was full last weekend, and a Boy Scout troop graciously took the platforms.

Thanks.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I never thought of Imp Shelter as an especially popular winter location, especially since the Imp Cut-Off trail was discontinued, making it a longer hike to get there. I think you just happened to read about a weekend when two good-sized groups both converged on it.

The big open interior and small door just begs to have a tarp "door" hung and make for a cozy evening, so I don't blame anyone for trying to get there. :)

Certainly, nobody is ever obligated to give up their shelter space, only to share it; it's first-come-first-served. Get there before 2 or 3pm and I'd expect you to be okay.

Mike P.

I've never stayed there but have been by it, my .02

Probably fairly popular because some of the other popular ones like Guyot & Garfield are harder to get to with the road closings. Imp using Stony Brook is not that hard to get to.

Getting there by 2:00 should be okay. Are you planning on bringing a tent, just in case?

tpseller

Thanks, both, for the quick replies.

At 1:00 on 2/11, two of us were the first ones to the shelter, and behind us were 5 other guys. 7 was comfortable and there was enough sleeping room for 12. However, I imagine the hang-out space inside with 12 people during the winter would be really tight.

Fortunately, someone had left behind a tent and pole strung across the treshold. As long as that remains (who knows for how long), a tarp isn't necessary. However, you'd definitely want something blocking that doorway in the winter. Even a small breeze would be harsh. We rolled the dice and only brought bivvies, but it wouldn't have been fun if we had to use them outside of the shelter.

Mike P.

Glad your trip was a success, thanks for the update. I'm Wildcat bound next Monday, day hike only. Michael J., one of the other moderators is Carter Notch Hut bound during the weekend.