• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite socks!

ZYDECORICH

I'm sure this has been covered but i have not seen it. I mostly use these euro wool based socks which are great, the only time i have used the thin ones are in the spring or warmer days. what do you use or like. i never use two pair even on cold days (thin then thick) at once do you? techniques welcomed.

Terry

I use 1 pair of very thin socks that are actually see through they are so thin. I use hotronics boot heaters for warmth on cold days.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I swear by SmartWool extra light. The only time my feet get cold is when I am an idiot an get my feet sweaty in the car by not taking care of my feet before getting to the ski area.

If any one actually is using two pairs of socks, please consider that something other than your socks, the two pairs themselves, or the type of sock may be causing your feet to become cold. I can not imagine much worse for a properly fit boot/foot combo than two pairs of socks. Adding a second sock could actually make your feet colder, fit issues aside.

hammer

Smartwool extra thin socks...anything other than extra thin is too tight with my boots.

I've found that I need toe warmers on colder days but I otherwise don't have problems.

roark

The liner keeps your feet warm, not the sock. SW extra thin or hot chili (green toe stripe) are my usuals.

wa-loaf

Another Smartwool Ultra Thin sock user here. Won't wear anything else now.

Rushski

Fox River Snowboard socks (to ski). Fills in some of the extra volume inside from post-swelling a few years ago. Probably time to get some boots that fit better...

Liners are the best bet as some of the other posters expressed.

Grassi21

Another vote for Smart Wool Ultra Thin. They now make them ribbed for extra pleasure.

drjeff

Used to only wear Smartwool Ultra thins, until one day I tried a pair of Euro Socks Ski Supreme Socks

PAAAAADINPDKCDCL.jpg

IMHO a superior sock to the Smartwools, both interms of the quality of the material (a sturdier yet softer/plusher knit) and the location of the LIGHT padding. Between myself, my wife and my kids, the family now owns 8 pairs of them (and yes they actually make them down to a size XXXXS that fits my son's kids sized 10 feet!)

BTW, I am a HUGE smartwool fan as the vast majority of socks in my sock drawer, from running socks, to hiking socks to even a bunch of my dress socks are smartwools, but for skiing these days for my feet, Euro Socks are superior to smartwool

ZYDECORICH

Used to only wear Smartwool Ultra thins, until one day I tried a pair of Euro Socks Ski Supreme Socks

PAAAAADINPDKCDCL.jpg

IMHO a superior sock to the Smartwools, both interms of the quality of the material (a sturdier yet softer/plusher knit) and the location of the LIGHT padding. Between myself, my wife and my kids, the family now owns 8 pairs of them (and yes they actually make them down to a size XXXXS that fits my son's kids sized 10 feet!)

BTW, I am a HUGE smartwool fan as the vast majority of socks in my sock drawer, from running socks, to hiking socks to even a bunch of my dress socks are smartwools, but for skiing these days for my feet, Euro Socks are superior to smartwool

Those are the ones i use but green.. great sock.. i used the smart wool ultra thins before but maybe i have poor foot circulation.. only use them when its kinda warm. my Atomic Widefit boots are toasty for the most part but I'm up for improvement. the wife and tater tots will also like to know. the boot gloves Warp Daddy talks of would totally interest my wife. while i may have to try the Fox River Snowboard socks Rushski has mentioned... thanks guys. Good feedback, more welcomed.

wa-loaf

PAAAAADINPDKCDCL.jpg

Does that include the new Ultra Thin Phd's? I find they are a great improvement over the old Ultra Thins.

drjeff

Those are the ones i use but green.. great sock.. i used the smart wool ultra thins before but maybe i have poor foot circulation.. only use them when its kinda warm. my Atomic Widefit boots are toasty for the most part but I'm up for improvement. the wife and tater tots will also like to know. the boot gloves Warp Daddy talks of would totally interest my wife. while i may have to try the Fox River Snowboard socks Rushski has mentioned... thanks guys. Good feedback, more welcomed.

I've got the pair picture and the green one's too! Love that bright neon green/kelly green contrast! Make's it seem like it's St. Patrick's Day every time I put them on! :)

drjeff

Does that include the new Ultra Thin Phd's? I find they are a great improvement over the old Ultra Thins.

Yup. To my feet atleast, these Euro Socks are a step up. Just as thin and MORE comfy where you want them to be with for me the proper amount of what I can only describe as "silky" padding where I wnat it. The padding, where it is located makes them feel slightly thicker, in just those areas, compared to the smartwools, but for me, even with a pair of boots that only has 10 days on them (read as now where near closed to packed out) they're a notch above the smartwools in comfort and performance (warmth/wicking)

wa-loaf

Yup. To my feet atleast, these Euro Socks are a step up. Just as thin and MORE comfy where you want them to be with for me the proper amount of what I can only describe as "silky" padding where I wnat it. The padding, where it is located makes them feel slightly thicker, in just those areas, compared to the smartwools, but for me, even with a pair of boots that only has 10 days on them (read as now where near closed to packed out) they're a notch above the smartwools in comfort and performance (warmth/wicking)

They seem to have a Super Light too. Have you tried those?

drjeff

They seem to have a Super Light too. Have you tried those?

Just bought a pair of those over the weekend for my wife to try - she's going to use them today once the carpet/plumbing/and now area association maintenance guys get out of our place and onto the hill. In just feeling the difference with my hand, they didn't seem all that different to the supreme's

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've been using the Smartwool ultralights for a few years and picked up 2 pairs of Smartwool PhD Ultra Lights during the off season that I use on colder days and I like them a lot. I might have to give the Euro's a try!

o3jeff

I've been using the Smartwool ultralights for a few years and picked up 2 pairs of Smartwool PhD Ultra Lights during the off season that I use on colder days and I like them a lot. I might have to give the Euro's a try!

I see REI has the Euros on clearance....