• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

Glenn

SoVT was just updated to a Winter Storm Warning! (Thank you Weather Bug BlackBerry ap for alerting me!) They cancelled the watch and went with a warning. Calling for 6-12 or 8-16 based on location. That's through 7PM tonight. Sweetness.

*EDIT: Damn you Greg! :lol:

Greg

Staff member
That's actually through 7 pm tomorrow.

Mildcat

You skiing Friday?

Probably, that's the beauty of being unemployed. :snow: There is no internet access in our ski house and satellite tv with no local stations so I'll have to play it by ear. I'll drive all the way to Burke if that's what it takes to get the goods.

MommaBear

So, what I"m hearing here is that I need school closing on Wed so I can make the drive to Mount Snow between storms and be there to ski Thursday before the winds kick in.

Got it. All 3 kids are looking a bit feverish anyway, may have to keep them home tomorrow if there IS school. :wink:

Now, how do I get out of work tomorrow and Thursday? Hmmmm.

frozencorn

What do the winds looks like for tomorrow? That is, assuming I can actually get there.

SnowRider

I think you guys are forgetting that this snow is probably going to be heavy, and if it isn't, the light rain will probably make it heavy.

A great base storm from what I hear, but with mixing and warm weather immediately after the storm, I don't see skiing be amazing. Just good.

roark

I think you guys are forgetting that this snow is probably going to be heavy, and if it isn't, the light rain will probably make it heavy.

A great base storm from what I hear, but with mixing and warm weather immediately after the storm, I don't see skiing be amazing. Just good.

2 words: reverse-reverse. Oh wait, one word 2x :daffy:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So, what I"m hearing here is that I need school closing on Wed so I can make the drive to Mount Snow between storms and be there to ski Thursday before the winds kick in.

Got it. All 3 kids are looking a bit feverish anyway, may have to keep them home tomorrow if there IS school. :wink:

Now, how do I get out of work tomorrow and Thursday? Hmmmm.

You're gonna need a school closing on account of rain. Hmm. Maybe ICE???

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Not fogotten. Waiting to see the line and see what the elevations do. I want to be high up. I'll take it heavy.

frozencorn

Josh Fox seems to think winds come in Thursday, but doesn't say much about tomorrow.

drjeff

Josh Fox seems to think winds come in Thursday, but doesn't say much about tomorrow.

Tommorrow shouldn't be too bad wind wise for all but the windiest of areas. Just too much atmospheric disorganization to set things up for a big wind event.

Thursday/Friday - BIG WINDS :eek: This storm, if it pans out like many models think it will will practically have hurricane force winds affecting some areas :eek: The question is as this Thursday/Friday storm basically wobbles and backs it's way in is where the worst of the winds will be???

deadheadskier

Staff member
tough to forecast out 4 days, but what about winds on Saturday? I have designs on skiing Stowe that day.

drjeff

tough to forecast out 4 days, but what about winds on Saturday? I have designs on skiing Stowe that day.

Biggest issue with that far out and this storm, is how quickly and/or slowly it's going to pull out of here?? If it does what the models suggest, Saturday should be windy, but not too crazy. If it stalls out, well then windholds will be an issue

UVSHTSTRM

HAHAHA, jesus, figures, just saw WMUR in NH and for Wednesday they have backed off the 10-15 and now are saying for the Wednesday storm to expect a 4-6 inches or so with rain and freezing rain up to the whites.

And for the other storm it looks like all rain with some backend snow and front end snow, but definately not the feet they were talking about just a day ago.

Greg

Staff member
HAHAHA, jesus, figures, just saw WMUR in NH and for Wednesday they have backed off the 10-15 and now are saying for the Wednesday storm to expect a 4-6 inches or so with rain and freezing rain up to the whites.

And for the other storm it looks like all rain with some backend snow and front end snow, but definately not the feet they were talking about just a day ago.

They're model chasing again... :roll:

Meanwhile, Northwest CT at elevation is getting blasted, based on the radar. My plan is to position myself to take advantage of big snow if it materializes. If it happens, great. Nothing more, nothing less.

drjeff

BOTH of these storms look like they're going to draw in a significant amount of warm air off the Atlantic, the tricky part forcasting wise to to figure out just how far North and West the warm air will displace the cold air??? The warm/cold line could set up 50 miles inland or 100 miles inland, especially on Thurs/Frid when the general motion of the storm appears like it will be a circular wobble with it backing in from the East, thus trying to bring in warmer air with it

UVSHTSTRM

They're model chasing again... :roll:

Meanwhile, Northwest CT at elevation is getting blasted, based on the radar. My plan is to position myself to take advantage of big snow if it materializes. If it happens, great. Nothing more, nothing less.

Who knows, I just wish we could get a simple no frills snowstorm.

WMUR actually stuck by there 10-15 inches on the snow totals map, but when he was talking he said 4-6 inches, so who knows.

As for Thursday Friday, I am leaning towards wash out and windy.