• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Using your high and low predictions that is somewhere between 40 and 59"s over 5 days. Seems a little optimistic to me, no?

That's pretty much what he has for Sugarbush as well. Given how badly he (and other mets, of course) crashed and burned on last week's storm, I've got to think he's seeing something that can't be denied.

WinnChill

WinnChill,
I just checked your site for an Okemo forecast as that is this weekends destination.

Here is what i see.
Tuesday: up to 3"s
Wednesday: 12-18" with a possible 20"!
Thursday day: An additional half a foot
Thursday night - Friday: foot to foot and a half
Saturday: half foot possible
Sunday: 3-6" possible

Using your high and low predictions that is somewhere between 40 and 59"s over 5 days. Seems a little optimistic to me, no?

Still tweaking the Thurs/Fri storm as noted in the discussion "***We may need to adjust downward a bit with the possibility of some dry slotting*** and "***some dry slotting may cut down accumulations--will continue adjusting*** in the Friday Accumulation area.

Will get through round 1 before finalizing round 2.

WinnChill

That's pretty much what he has for Sugarbush as well. Given how badly he (and other mets, of course) crashed and burned on last week's storm, I've got to think he's seeing something that can't be denied.

Gee, thanks King. But our Okemo forecast for last week's storm was originally 4-7", and resorts in that area got 3-7"...how is that crash and burned? Not to mention our accumulated forecast from Wed through Saturday of last week for northern VT resorts of 7-19" (over 4 days)...and they got 7-20" over that time.

DiMe

Stroudsburg

Just went out to clean my truck off. Pics from Stroudsburg, PA. Still dumping.

catsup948

The monster on Thursday and Friday seems like it is going to crush interior New England and upstate New York. But elevation seems to be key with this one. Northern Berkshires are going to get 12 inches possibly from now until tomorrow night but we may have it all wash away in the next storm. I hope this is not the case and we get two nice wet dumps to help cover up the rocks!

I will be at Saddleback all weekend anyway so I'm not complaining. They are looking at consistent snow fall from now straight through sunday morning!

kingslug

Well I'm driving up to Hunter thursday morning...better be worth it...on the other hand it could be out of control and winds wreck everything...plattekill friday though.

jaja111

Just went out to clean my truck off. Pics from Stroudsburg, PA. Still dumping.

That stuff looks good for patching up some masonry holes around the house. Just think, if you'd poured a form in your yard you'd have a patio by morning. hahahahaha.

Couldn't resist. Forecasting here in WNY keeps mentioning "heavy and wet". I'm keeping my fingers crossed as it'll be our first storm of the season! (pathetic)

WinnChill

I will be at Saddleback all weekend anyway so I'm not complaining. They are looking at consistent snow fall from now straight through sunday morning!

Saddleback will be on the verge of snow/rain Thursday PM/night. Really strong winds will help draw that rain line in towards SR/SL/Saddle...it's gonna be real close. If it holds just shy, they'll get blasted with heavy snow as they'll be in the axis of the heaviest precip.

We'll see! Have fun!

DiMe

That stuff looks good for patching up some masonry holes around the house. Just think, if you'd poured a form in your yard you'd have a patio by morning. hahahahaha.

Couldn't resist. Forecasting here in WNY keeps mentioning "heavy and wet". I'm keeping my fingers crossed as it'll be our first storm of the season! (pathetic)

haha I bet your right yes it is very heavy and wet but hell, snow gods are giving us base snow in late Feb when the snow makers have stopped. I can do nothing but be stoked :razz:

WinnChill

Oh, and no, Sugarbush's forecast is different by the way...

Wed: Decent accumulations possible...about a foot possible (10-14")

Angus

just read from MRG's website...I don't want to go to work...

Mad River Today Feb 24, 2010 at 05:45:00
POWDER DAY!! A full 12 inches from top to bottom and it's beautiful white snow according to the Mountain Crew, who are still on the hill but not over-grooming to ensure plenty of play for all skier abilities. It's STILL snowing, and snowing HARD. The boys think we could easily see a few more inches before the official opening at 9:00AM.

Euler

I haven't gone out with a ruler yet but...I DON'T NEED TO!!!!!

There's clearly over a foot of snow on the ground, and it's still dumping!!!

And this is at low elevation...

Can't wait to see Mt. Snow!!!!

Finally, the snow gods have delivered!!!!

UVSHTSTRM

Man, here in the lowlands of the Upper Valley we have 5-7 inches of the heaviest snow I have seen in a few years. I imagine even at elevation it is probably "Sierra Cement" like as well. Hey, good base building snow.....hehehehe. :lol:

Sounds like NH, Eastern/Central Maine are going to get a bunch of rain Thursday/Friday, there actually calling for some heavy rain here in the Upper Valley today as well.....wait and see.

Oh and is it really a forcast when you adjust your snow totals as the day moves along? At that point, why bother?

Glenn

I haven't gone out with a ruler yet but...I DON'T NEED TO!!!!!

There's clearly over a foot of snow on the ground, and it's still dumping!!!

And this is at low elevation...

Can't wait to see Mt. Snow!!!!

Finally, the snow gods have delivered!!!!

Holy.......thanks for the update Euler! And from what I gather, it's gonna snow there all day today. I hope the plow guy visits out driveway......

:snow:

Winn,
What's the deal for SoVT for Thursday into Friday? NWS seems to be trending more to rain/freezing rain. Do you think that'll be the case? I'll have to read the forecast discussion...I just read the basics on my Blackberry this AM.

WinnChill

Oh and is it really a forcast when you adjust your snow totals as the day moves along? At that point, why bother?

We call that "nowcasting"...most of the time you let your forecast ride but we do tweak as things move along if there are major changes. It's not that necessary for things like resorts and such, but definately for public works crews, etc.--just depends on the customer.