• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

SKIQUATTRO

Possibility of a decent sized storm hitting end of next week. Cold air invades after Mon/Tues storm exits, large storm in the Swest that looks to track into the Gulf, over FLA, and up the Eastern Seaboard...possible nor'easter lining up....keep an eye out.

WinnChill

You should be in good shape Bill--certainly looks active through midweek. Models are still suggesting the first wave arriving Tuesday followed by a reinforcing low about the Thursday timeframe (may push into Fri)...it could be split between the days or combine into one long event, but it's certainly eye-candy on various charts!

I know, take it with a grain of salt my friend...we'll keep you posted...you know the drill! :beer:

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

WinnChill

I know, I should probably keep my mouth shut....glutton for punishment I suppose.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I know, I should probably keep my mouth shut....glutton for punishment I suppose.

I may pencil in a midweek day for next week in addition to the weekend. After all, it's still February! Notice I said PENCIL. There is no way I'm counting on anything. I have the luxury to point the car the night before I go. Like rivercoil, I still have many vouchers and other cards to play.

ZYDECORICH

VooDoo lady was decent with her picks ..at least down here.. the 24th is one of hers.. maybe that will be the big dump she was talking about. hopefully for you guys, hopefully for all.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Like I posted in another thread I'll be at Pico starting Wednesday the 24th, I'll either leave really early in the morning or right after work Tuesday night depending on the time frame of the storm.

Also, I'm taking off my snowtires, putting away the snowblower, and emptying the window washer fluid from the car..... NOW we'll have a storm!

:fangun:

WinnChill

Whew! There will be a LOT going on this upcoming week. Updated forecast for Pico...had to broadbrush many areas Tues-Thur because there is just WAY too many variables with this scenario. We're just trying to narrow down the timeframe for now. Hope this helps.

Cheers

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wednesday looks like a vaca day for me this coming week. Maybe half day on Wednesday. Big time commitment on Friday that I can't get out of, unfortunately. Guess I will have to save some leg for next weekend! But I sure ain't saving anything this weekend!!

WinnChill

Just a quick update after all the midday model runs....

...first and relatively weaker storm possible hit on Wed...could slip out to sea but still a good chance curling into us.

--Second and stronger wave arrives Thurs/Friday...much more energy aloft, gustier winds...could linger into the weekend.

Just a "general" snapshot of possibilities this week. With deep upper level trouging arriving from the west and some blocking systems downstream help with a favorable setup. We'll work on hammering out details this week.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just a quick update after all the midday model runs....

...first and relatively weaker storm possible hit on Wed...could slip out to sea but still a good chance curling into us.

--Second and stronger wave arrives Thurs/Friday...much more energy aloft, gustier winds...could linger into the weekend.

Just a "general" snapshot of possibilities this week. With deep upper level trouging arriving from the west and some blocking systems downstream help with a favorable setup. We'll work on hammering out details this week.

Thanks!
on the fence about taking a midweek day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Like I posted in another thread I'll be at Pico starting Wednesday the 24th, I'll either leave really early in the morning or right after work Tuesday night depending on the time frame of the storm.
:fangun:

John, It's my understanding Pico is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Looking better now for a Wednesday pow day. Bags re-packed.

Last edited:

WinnChill

Just FYI....midday model runs coming out now and shows a whole lotta love later this week. Of course, it's several days out but we're seeing some strong stuff come Thurs night/Friday. It still looks like Storm A can get enough moisture/snow in here Wed (slightly offshore), but the second storm late Thurs/Friday is a compete monster! I may save a few of these charts!

I'll be out all afternoon and will check back to see what the latest is this evening.

Cheers!

Madroch

Yup... models have the weenies on Eastern talking about measuring in feet and historic storms, blah blah blah... snow for five days... blah blah blah. And while these model runs rarely if ever pan out... they will this time as I cannot ski no matter what all week. Enjoy - while I cry.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My plan is to ski Wednesday, then head north again on Friday for a weekend of ski fun with family and friends in NVT. I'll make a final go decision on Tuesday for Wed. , but I'll be up there regardless by Friday. Make it worth my while; make me get stuck!

WinnChill

My plan is to ski Wednesday, then head north again on Friday for a weekend of ski fun with family and friends in NVT. I'll make a final go decision on Tuesday for Wed. , but I'll be up there regardless by Friday. Make it worth my while; make me get stuck!

We'll definately help you fine tune the plans Bill. If that Friday storm pans out, there could be travel problems--but we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.

Alright, gotta go....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We'll definately help you fine tune the plans Bill. If that Friday storm pans out, there could be travel problems--but we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.

Alright, gotta go....
I LOVE travel problems. Prepositioning is the answer!!!

NWS sez, "
THE NORTH COUNTRY WILL LIKELY SEE PLOWABLE AND POTENTIALLY SOME
SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL WED AND FRI."

music to my ears...