• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier Dies at Mount Wachusett

subdude

There was also an accident in the terrain park last night where a kid broke his neck. He was completely unconcsious the entire time the patrollers were working on him and leading him to the ambulance. Didn't look to good.

Sky

re: Complacent...that's a good point in a lot of things, driving, flying, etc. I don't get hte impression that complacency is a factor here...unless as postulated above...gear was not maintained.

Every time I'm even tempted to NOT wear my helmet...I hear this alarm go off. It sounds something like this...

"...but I was only on the easy slopes." And I'm not saying this guy wasn't wearing one...and I'm not saying he would have survived with one (if he wasn't wearing one).

It's just a sad story...quickly followed by the WAAF Home Made Luge contest this morning! *sheesh*

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Oh yeah, I heard some dude cut up his face this morning doing the AAF luge.

Any story about that?

Sky, you know it's strange, I've worn a helmet nearly all the time I've been skiing, and when I bike I've worn one since I started riding on training wheels. Now neither activity feels right without one.

So sooner or later maybe you'll just be totally conditioned to the feeling like me.

Or you'll contract alzheimer's and forget who you are so the helmet won't be necessary anyway...

:dunce:

Sky

Marc said:
So sooner or later maybe you'll just be totally conditioned to the feeling like me.

Or you'll contract alzheimer's and forget who you are so the helmet won't be necessary anyway...

:dunce:

Pal...I keep forgetting I have alzheimer's.

It's only tempting to go w/o the helmet in the spring when it's nice and warm....Joe Cool with the sun glasses etc. Otherwise...I love the helmet. Nice and warm.

I have not checked AAF's website to see if they posted photos or "Pod Casts". I tried watching on Wa's Webcam...but it must have been overwhelmed with voyeaurs. If they really had 3000 people there today....it was a good day to be @ work. *shudder*

eatskisleep

So any charts for what DIN setting should be at?
Also I feel bad for the guy and his family... sad story indeed.

Sky

Full details in the Worcester Telegram and Gazette today.

He was skiing with his older brother. Here's the scarey line..."one last run for the day."

He must have been going pretty fast because it states he went airborne into the woods. Seems he was dead at the scene.

Possible ski / boot / binding malfunction, but no mention of details.

The guy was an experienced skier (20 years) and a 12-yr Pass holder @ Wa. So the guy new the terrain and the typical daily routine (skier population etc).

:<

LVNLARG

eatskisleep said:
So any charts for what DIN setting should be at?
Also I feel bad for the guy and his family... sad story indeed.

Basicly ...I doubt anyone will answer that...myself included. It has.. in the past... sparked the largest of online pissing matches :argue: If you want some answers...go digging :lol:

teachski

Website
teachski.com
subdude said:
There was also an accident in the terrain park last night where a kid broke his neck. He was completely unconcsious the entire time the patrollers were working on him and leading him to the ambulance. Didn't look to good.

I heard that this happened the same night as the fatality (at Wachusett) and that there was also a girl that fell from the lift and broke her leg that night, but I have not spoken to anyone official so I can't confirm it.

LVNLARG

teachski said:
subdude said:

I heard that this happened the same night as the fatality (at Wachusett) and that there was also a girl that fell from the lift and broke her leg that night, but I have not spoken to anyone official so I can't confirm it.

Sounds like a Friday the 13th. When I used to work at a ski hill we would always have a bunch of fluke bad accidents all at once too....kinda wierd how that happens...usually had nothing to do with conditions either. It really sucks when you actually have ambulances waiting in line to load up :eek:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sky521 said:

I know a good lawyer :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.

Bad deal. I feel for the family.

drjeff

Sky521 said:
Full details in the Worcester Telegram and Gazette today.

He was skiing with his older brother. Here's the scarey line..."one last run for the day."

He must have been going pretty fast because it states he went airborne into the woods. Seems he was dead at the scene.

The guy was an experienced skier (20 years) and a 12-yr Pass holder @ Wa. So the guy new the terrain and the typical daily routine (skier population etc).

:<
The same article also had his brother mentioning that they were going "really fast" down the trail and that a small kid was infront of the 2 brothers and that the 2 brothers took evasive action to avoid the child. The brother that made it swerved one way, and the one that died swerved the other. The brothetr that made said (paraphrasing here) that if he hadn't swerved he would have hit and killed the child, so he basically sacrificed his life for the sake of the childs.

Basically late day, speed and possibly questionable judgement on a few parties part (? kid not looking uphill before starting downhill, no helmet, etc). BTW, the person that was killed worked at the State of Connecticut Correctional facility which is as the bird flies just over a mile from my house :eek: