• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Olympic "spoilers" - The official Olympic thread!

LVNLARG

Canadian Jennifer Heil takes the first Alpine Gold medal up for grabs! Woohoo! And did I mention our 16-0 hockey win :lol: Go Canada!

I re-titled this thread at the request of a PMer who stated that titling threads with real-time wins here might spoil outcomes for pep's watching certain events in RP mode (Like myself watching the noon version of the downhill tommorow as opposed to the 6 am realtime version). So...this is the Olympic thread...post your woo-hoo's and boo-hoo's here...and don't look at it if you're about to watch something that's already occured. :beer:

Zand

So far, 2 golds for Germany, 1 for the US, and one for Canada. Norway leads overall medal count with 4, but no gold yet. Both the US and Canadian hockey teams kicked @$$, they'll probably be in the final as usual.

Best story for today was probably Hedrick.

Today's results:

Mens' Biathlon: Gold-Germany, Silver-Norway, Bronze-Norway

Womens' Freestyle Skiing: Gold- Canada, Silver- Norway, Bronze- France

Men's 5000m Speed Skate: Gold- USA, Silver- Netherlands, Bronze- Italy

Combined Nordic: Gold- Germany, Silver- Austria, Bronze- Norway

Ice Hockey: Finland 3, Germany 0; Sweden 3, Russia 1; USA 6, Switzerland 0; Canada 16, Italy 0

Figure Skating: Leaders- Totmianina, Marinin- Russia

Men's Luge: 1. Zoeggeler- Italy, 2. Demtschenko- Russia, 3. Benshoof- USA

Men's Ski Jumping: 1. Kofler- Austria, 1. Kuettel- Switzerland, 3. Ahonen- Finland

Scheduled for Tomorrow:
Men's Alpine Skiing (Medals)
Women's 15 km XC Skiing (Medals)
Men's 30 km XC Skiing (Medals)
Women's Ice Hockey: Russia vs Canada, Germany vs USA
Men's Luge Finals (Medals)
Men's 1500m Short Track Speed Skate (Medals)
Women's 500m Short Track Speed Skate (Medals)
Women's 3000m Relay Short Track Speed Skate (Medals)
Men's Normal Ski Jumping (Medals)
Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe (Medals)
Women's 3000m Speed Skate Final (Medals)

BeanoNYC

Bump Bump Bump

My wife and mother in law are psyched that Norway is in the lead. (They're square heads) This is so much fun to watch. I can't wait to watch the skiing tomorrow. (After I'm done snowblowing, of course.)

BeanoNYC

I'm surprised she did. As a former Zamboni driver with much experience dealing with Figure Skaters, I can say that they are generally divas.

LVNLARG

BeanoNYC said:
I'm surprised she did. As a former Zamboni driver with much experience dealing with Figure Skaters, I can say that they are generally divas.

Eh...maybe the young ones? I dated one and know a few and they're not ALL that bad. In other news...our Canadian women's hockey team is KICKING ASS again...currently beating Russia 9-0 early in the SECOND :eek:

LVNLARG

Hmmmm...My vote is in for the hottest Olympic hotty!!!!...Annie Kriesinger < SP German speed skater... *Drooling* Just saw her skate and upon finishing she couldn't wait to unzip and give the cams a more than gratuitous cleavage shot ?!?!?! Gold medal performance that was! :beer:

LVNLARG

What a finish to the downhill! What happend to that American sweep that was being kicked around here?!?? :lol: The US A squad damn near got beat by our B squad :lol: The Bode man must not have been able to find a drink in Italy ?!!?!? :beer:

bigbog

LVNLARG said:
...Bode The man must not have been able to find a drink in Italy ?!!?!? :beer:
:lol: :lol:
The downhill sure had a Great finish though!...last skier knocks off MichaelW.(sp?) Was nice to see a Frenchman get on the podium for a change...

kbroderick

I was psyched to see an Austrian de-throned from the podium in the downhill--if the Americans can't win it, at least let someone else beat the damn Austrians.

How about the last-minute ski decisions? I think Bode's skis were fast and Daron (or the tech) made the wrong choice (although he didn't know it at the time)--it was Bode's skiing that slowed him down, as Walchhofer nailed the bottom split (prior to the French guy nailing, destroying, and thoroughly tearing it to shreds).

Hmm...Bode thinks the new skis were the right choice, too: http://www.skiracing.com/news/news_display.php/3402/ALPINE

Other interesting tidbit from the linked article: it was nearly two minutes before his start that Daron switched back to the traditional skis, not quite the seconds that NBC implied. (Although I think it's rather odd for a skier to be swapping skis that soon before an Olympic start).

It's really too bad that there weren't a few more spots between Bode's start (18) and Daron's--if Bode had a chance to talk to the tech, things might have turned out differently.

ah, well, time for sleep.

Zand

It was reported that Bode was out drinking a few hours before the race...

kickglide

Olympic coverage.

The network coverage amuses me as it is rather schmaltzy and bogus. It was already common knowledge that the Men's Downhill was won by a Frenchman and the American contenders were only also rans. Why can't they include that in their opening remarks instead of pumping the losers? They have the whole day to change the report. Are these people just sitting somewhere in N.Y. and don't even look outside to see that it is snowing like the weathermen? On top of that they put the Halfpipe acrobatics on for the prime time event, and there's some punk kid desecrating the American Flag. Way to go!!! I wonder how many people were cheering to see the guy do a face plant. As to reporting in general the T.V. media people are giving a lot of coverage to girl's hockey which is entertaining except that the commentator lives on Nantucket, knows little about hockey and has a motor mouth.

smootharc

Re: Olympic coverage. Do not get me going......

kickglide said:
The network coverage amuses me as it is rather schmaltzy and bogus.

NBC for olympics = Numbskull Bogus Cretins. They just don't get it.

Saw a week's worth of Canadian TV Olympic coverage once.....and, ayuup, they get it, eh.

AdironRider

Re: Olympic coverage.

kickglide said:
The network coverage amuses me as it is rather schmaltzy and bogus. It was already common knowledge that the Men's Downhill was won by a Frenchman and the American contenders were only also rans. Why can't they include that in their opening remarks instead of pumping the losers? They have the whole day to change the report. Are these people just sitting somewhere in N.Y. and don't even look outside to see that it is snowing like the weathermen? On top of that they put the Halfpipe acrobatics on for the prime time event, and there's some punk kid desecrating the American Flag. Way to go!!! I wonder how many people were cheering to see the guy do a face plant. As to reporting in general the T.V. media people are giving a lot of coverage to girl's hockey which is entertaining except that the commentator lives on Nantucket, knows little about hockey and has a motor mouth.

Who cares if they put snowboarding in prime time, you got downhill there as well. Deal with it, snowboarding is here to stay. Shawn White is doing more for the industry getting kids just out on the hill, in a more professional way than your man bode......

Plowboy

Re: Olympic coverage. Do not get me going......

smootharc said:
NBC for olympics = Numbskull Bogus Cretins. They just don't get it.

Saw a week's worth of Canadian TV Olympic coverage once.....and, ayuup, they get it, eh.

We have been watching on CBC also. Not a lot of "up close and personal" crap,

They got it!!

How bout those USA snowboarders. :beer: :beer:

smootharc

Men's DH....

kbroderick said:
How about the last-minute ski decisions? I think Bode's skis were fast and Daron (or the tech) made the wrong choice (although he didn't know it at the time)--it was Bode's skiing that slowed him down, as Walchhofer nailed the bottom split (prior to the French guy nailing, destroying, and thoroughly tearing it to shreds).

It was discouraging to learn of all the ski switching, last minute stuff. That type of indecision sounds pretty....well, not so good. The guy at the top of the hill reporting to Todd B. before the race in a clip aired on NBC registered incredulity at the ski switch thing, and Bode's drinking/non-inspection sleep in.

Viewing the runs.....everyone was, as you mention above, racing for second cause that French guy absolutely shredded that course. A well deserved gold.

AdironRider

Everyone makes a big deal out of Bode and his partying and staying out. Last I checked he won the world cup last year doing it his way, I say we let him be.