• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Expanding Ads

hammer

I'm finding that the "expanding ads" that appear above the selection buttons are a bit bothersome...if the mouse button drifts over the ad, it covers the selection buttons...

Is there anything that can be done for this?

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
I'm finding that the "expanding ads" that appear above the selection buttons are a bit bothersome...if the mouse button drifts over the ad, it covers the selection buttons...

Is there anything that can be done for this?
I was wondering how long it would take to get some "feedback" here. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the exapanding ads either. When I saw examples of them, I thought they would be rather unobtrusive so I agreed to run them. However the leaderboard placement is such that I've also inadvertently clicked them a number of times myself. I'm under contract to run them so there's little I can do now. My only suggestion is to try to retrain yourself to not hover over it before selecting a nav link. Another option is for me to swap the nav links and the leaderboard, but I suspect it's going to then drop into the forum table itself, causing similar unintended clicks. Wish I had a better response...

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg

Staff member
FYI. I mentioned this to the media buyer and this is the response:

I have taken these ads out of circulation and put the older flash ads
back in. You should note the change in about 20 minutes.
Fulgent/American Skiing Company in no way wants to intrude on your
user's experience and as an advertiser on your site we have the utmost
respect for their comments/feedback. Please convey this for us and let
them know that the ads are no longer running in that placement.
:beer:

BeanoNYC

Greg said:
FYI. I mentioned this to the media buyer and this is the response:

I have taken these ads out of circulation and put the older flash ads
back in. You should note the change in about 20 minutes.
Fulgent/American Skiing Company in no way wants to intrude on your
user's experience and as an advertiser on your site we have the utmost
respect for their comments/feedback. Please convey this for us and let
them know that the ads are no longer running in that placement.
:beer:

Wow! Problem solved. Only thing is, I don't see expanding ads. Is it my browser?

ctenidae

Nice. That's some good customer service.
What's the click-through rate for ads here, anyway, and what can we do to help?

I remember back in the early days Fark use to have ad-click days.

BeanoNYC

ctenidae said:

I seem to remember Greg saying once that he didn't want us clicking unless we were interested in the ad. Somthing about they could tell if we were clicking just to get hits. Am I wrong, Greg?

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
ctenidae said:

I seem to remember Greg saying once that he didn't want us clicking unless we were interested in the ad. Somthing about they could tell if we were clicking just to get hits. Am I wrong, Greg?
This relates more to Google ads:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?p=30514#30514

With that said, click through rate is only one measure of how well an ad campaign performs. ASC's media buyer is diligent about also checking conversion rate (i.e. ad clicks that result in sales). In this regard, the client is very satisfied. So...no need for anyone to alter their propensity to visit an advertiser here or not.

BeanoNYC

I guess the best thing to do then is if we're going to buy something that advertises on this site is to go here first, find the ad and click on it from here then. Greg do you have an advertisers list on here so we can quickly find ads?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
With that said, click through rate is only one measure of how well an ad campaign performs. ASC's media buyer is diligent about also checking conversion rate (i.e. ad clicks that result in sales). In this regard, the client is very satisfied. So...no need for anyone to alter their propensity to visit an advertiser here or not.
not sure if this is measurable or if you are willing to disclose the information, but can you identify if regular registered users are clicking through and 'conversioning' or are these people stumbling upon the board due to it's popularity on google? i would suspect the later. no reason for me asking, just curious.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
not sure if this is measurable or if you are willing to disclose the information, but can you identify if regular registered users are clicking through and 'conversioning' or are these people stumbling upon the board due to it's popularity on google? i would suspect the later. no reason for me asking, just curious.
It would be interesting to know, but there's no simple way to determine this...

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
riverc0il said:

I would be curious as well. Personally, I don't think I have ever clicked on the advertisements. I hardly ever do, at any site. With that said, I also don't know which "pop" ads the others were talking about.

-Porter

BeanoNYC

salida said:
With that said, I also don't know which "pop" ads the others were talking about.

-Porter

Me either. I'm wondering if I don't get the "full effect" using Safari as my browser.

bvibert

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
salida said:
With that said, I also don't know which "pop" ads the others were talking about.

-Porter

Me either. I'm wondering if I don't get the "full effect" using Safari as my browser.

The ads at the top of the page would expand to more than double their size if you moved your mouse over them, causing them to cover the forum menu options. You would only see the effect if you moved your mouse over the ads. No matter, they're gone now... :)