Wanting to start

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanting to start

Hey everyone, I am new here, just registered, because I want to start skiing.

So anyways, I was just wondering if it is hard to ski. I have water skied before, and it wasn't that difficult, but for me snowboarding was.

So, did you have trouble learning how to ski?

Thanks, and hello;
    Hookem

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong foru,.

Re: Wanting to start

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem
    Hey everyone, I am new here, just registered, because I want to start skiing.

So anyways, I was just wondering if it is hard to ski. I have water skied before, and it wasn't that difficult, but for me snowboarding was.

So, did you have trouble learning how to ski?

Thanks, and hello;
    Hookem

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong foru,.
    Skiing is definitely easier to learn than snowboarding (from what I've heard from friends that have done both). I taught myself to ski and was making it down Mid-Atlantic blacks by my second day. However I was ten at the time and didn't really know that you could take lessons, so I would advise against that. I'd suggest going to your local hill and getting a few lessons. Also remember to try and get out as much as possible.
    It's better to burn out than to fade away-Neil Young

Hookem, greetings and welcome to skiing. it is a great sport but the learning curve scares a lot of people away. if you can take a few falls and get realize you will need a little delayed gratification before you really start enjoying things, you will do fine. take some lessons and pick up some rental equipment at a local ski hill (they usually have package deals). there is no need to go to the big mountains, whatever is close and cheap works just as good when you are first learning. be ready for a few falls, even the best skiers fall every once in a while when they are pushing their limits.

the number one complaint i hear from new skiers besides issues with falling is that they were cold. buy some good winter clothing if you don't already have some. winter jacket, ski pants, hat, gloves/mittens, goggles, thermal underwear, and most especially ski socks (yes, specific socks for skiing that are thin but keep you warmer than regular socks). enjoy and let us know how it goes.

-Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Re: Wanting to start

Quote Originally Posted by John84
    Skiing is definitely easier to learn than snowboarding (from what I've heard from friends that have done both).
    From what I've heard, skiing is easier to learn the basics, but harder to master, where as snowboarding is harder to learn at first, but easier to master. I have no idea if that's true...

Welcome. Moving to Skiing....
    I ski double black diamonds.

Welcome to the boards. I feel qualified to comment here because I only started skiing five years ago myself, as a freshman in college. So I have a pretty fair grasp on what the learning curve is like.

And that is exactly what it is, as Steve pointed out. Saying the snowboarding is harder than skiing or vice versa is saying far too little. They can't be compared like that, and really can't be compared at all.

The learning curve for skiing is shallow at first, but you will eventually find it getting steeper and steeper. I'm starting to get to the end of the really steep part of the curve just now.

In other words, I picked up some basic techniques very quickly and could ski some fairly difficult trails my first year on the boards. You will learn very quickly at first but then the learning slows way down. If you truly enjoy the activity you will just keep at it, and as I found out, you make progress. I basically just made the transition from a Level II to Level III skier the end last year and into this year. Now I feel comfortable tackling nearly any inbounds open slope I've come across.

So my point is: don't be worried about how difficult it is. Only whether or not you like it. Bottom line is, if you like it, you will stick with it and improve. If you don't, then you will view learning as a chore, become frustrated, upset and probably quit.

And good clothing is very important as Steve also pointed out. I no longer have any cotton products on my when I ski. Cotton performs terribly when wet. Do yourself a favor and invest in nice polypro thermals, acrylic wool/poly socks, fleece/synthetic shirt and anything else you need to stay warm.

And hang around the board too, if nothing else, just being here will get you pumped up to get out there.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Me and my wife started skiing 5 years ago. We had tried it once before about 7 years ago. The mistake we made the first time out, we didn't take lessons and literally had trouble getting off the ground. Second try, we took a lesson and were skiing from the peak on the first day. Been addicted ever since

I started back skiing two years ago after an 18 year hiatus. Be prepared for a few falls, but when you make that solid run down a real trail without falling, the feeling of satisfaction is great. It's even better when you make tht run with nicely linked turns. It gets great when you develop your rhythm and learn how to carve. It's a thrill to run fast and tight down a long open slope. The feeling of accomplishment when you get over your fear of trees and plow through some undisturbed powder stashes is amazing. Even on an off day, riding up the chairlift looking back over the scenery is worth the trip.

I'll echo one of the most important parts to enjoying skiing, too- outfit yourself well. Don't bother with the $100 UnderArmour gear or blow the budget on a new Spyder jacket. Go to TJ Maxx and buy some decent gear- all synthetic is a must. You should be able to put together an entire outfit for somewhat less than $200. If you're warm and dry you wil enjoy yourself much, much more than if you're cold and miserable. Trust me.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Cotton Kills

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    And that is exactly what it is, as Steve pointed out. Saying the snowboarding is harder than skiing or vice versa is saying far too little. They can't be compared like that, and really can't be compared at all.
    Sorry - gotta disagree...

Snowboarding is tough to learn but really easy to master..
    Skiing is easy to learn but really tough to master..

That being said... I find(as a person who does both) - snowboarding is way easier then skiing. which is pretty much why I do it 90% of the time..
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by dmc
    Snowboarding is tough to learn but really easy to master..
    Skiing is easy to learn but really tough to master..

That being said... I find(as a person who does both) - snowboarding is way easier then skiing. which is pretty much why I do it 90% of the time..
    This is what I've heard as well...

One person I know who snowboards does so because it's supposedly easier on the knees...is that true?

Thread Information