• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wanting to start

Hookem

Hey everyone, I am new here, just registered, because I want to start skiing.

So anyways, I was just wondering if it is hard to ski. I have water skied before, and it wasn't that difficult, but for me snowboarding was.

So, did you have trouble learning how to ski?

Thanks, and hello;
Hookem

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong foru,.

John84

Hookem said:
Hey everyone, I am new here, just registered, because I want to start skiing.

So anyways, I was just wondering if it is hard to ski. I have water skied before, and it wasn't that difficult, but for me snowboarding was.

So, did you have trouble learning how to ski?

Thanks, and hello;
Hookem

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong foru,.

Skiing is definitely easier to learn than snowboarding (from what I've heard from friends that have done both). I taught myself to ski and was making it down Mid-Atlantic blacks by my second day. However I was ten at the time and didn't really know that you could take lessons, so I would advise against that. I'd suggest going to your local hill and getting a few lessons. Also remember to try and get out as much as possible.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hookem, greetings and welcome to skiing. it is a great sport but the learning curve scares a lot of people away. if you can take a few falls and get realize you will need a little delayed gratification before you really start enjoying things, you will do fine. take some lessons and pick up some rental equipment at a local ski hill (they usually have package deals). there is no need to go to the big mountains, whatever is close and cheap works just as good when you are first learning. be ready for a few falls, even the best skiers fall every once in a while when they are pushing their limits.

the number one complaint i hear from new skiers besides issues with falling is that they were cold. buy some good winter clothing if you don't already have some. winter jacket, ski pants, hat, gloves/mittens, goggles, thermal underwear, and most especially ski socks (yes, specific socks for skiing that are thin but keep you warmer than regular socks). enjoy and let us know how it goes.

:beer:

Greg

Staff member
John84 said:
Skiing is definitely easier to learn than snowboarding (from what I've heard from friends that have done both).
From what I've heard, skiing is easier to learn the basics, but harder to master, where as snowboarding is harder to learn at first, but easier to master. I have no idea if that's true...

Welcome. Moving to Skiing....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Welcome to the boards. I feel qualified to comment here because I only started skiing five years ago myself, as a freshman in college. So I have a pretty fair grasp on what the learning curve is like.

And that is exactly what it is, as Steve pointed out. Saying the snowboarding is harder than skiing or vice versa is saying far too little. They can't be compared like that, and really can't be compared at all.

The learning curve for skiing is shallow at first, but you will eventually find it getting steeper and steeper. I'm starting to get to the end of the really steep part of the curve just now.

In other words, I picked up some basic techniques very quickly and could ski some fairly difficult trails my first year on the boards. You will learn very quickly at first but then the learning slows way down. If you truly enjoy the activity you will just keep at it, and as I found out, you make progress. I basically just made the transition from a Level II to Level III skier the end last year and into this year. Now I feel comfortable tackling nearly any inbounds open slope I've come across.

So my point is: don't be worried about how difficult it is. Only whether or not you like it. Bottom line is, if you like it, you will stick with it and improve. If you don't, then you will view learning as a chore, become frustrated, upset and probably quit.

And good clothing is very important as Steve also pointed out. I no longer have any cotton products on my when I ski. Cotton performs terribly when wet. Do yourself a favor and invest in nice polypro thermals, acrylic wool/poly socks, fleece/synthetic shirt and anything else you need to stay warm.

And hang around the board too, if nothing else, just being here will get you pumped up to get out there.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Me and my wife started skiing 5 years ago. We had tried it once before about 7 years ago. The mistake we made the first time out, we didn't take lessons and literally had trouble getting off the ground. Second try, we took a lesson and were skiing from the peak on the first day. Been addicted ever since :)

ctenidae

I started back skiing two years ago after an 18 year hiatus. Be prepared for a few falls, but when you make that solid run down a real trail without falling, the feeling of satisfaction is great. It's even better when you make tht run with nicely linked turns. It gets great when you develop your rhythm and learn how to carve. It's a thrill to run fast and tight down a long open slope. The feeling of accomplishment when you get over your fear of trees and plow through some undisturbed powder stashes is amazing. Even on an off day, riding up the chairlift looking back over the scenery is worth the trip.

I'll echo one of the most important parts to enjoying skiing, too- outfit yourself well. Don't bother with the $100 UnderArmour gear or blow the budget on a new Spyder jacket. Go to TJ Maxx and buy some decent gear- all synthetic is a must. You should be able to put together an entire outfit for somewhat less than $200. If you're warm and dry you wil enjoy yourself much, much more than if you're cold and miserable. Trust me.

dmc

Marc said:
And that is exactly what it is, as Steve pointed out. Saying the snowboarding is harder than skiing or vice versa is saying far too little. They can't be compared like that, and really can't be compared at all.

Sorry - gotta disagree...

Snowboarding is tough to learn but really easy to master..
Skiing is easy to learn but really tough to master..

That being said... I find(as a person who does both) - snowboarding is way easier then skiing. which is pretty much why I do it 90% of the time..

hammer

dmc said:

That being said... I find(as a person who does both) - snowboarding is way easier then skiing. which is pretty much why I do it 90% of the time..
This is what I've heard as well...

One person I know who snowboards does so because it's supposedly easier on the knees...is that true?

tekweezle

_

I agree. i think it;s because with Skiing, you are comfortable on flatter terrain to start with so if you get over your fears and learn to stop and control your speed, you are on your way. However, because of all the independent movement possibilities with your hands and feet, there is alot of room for error-see the thread about the begnner who tore 3 ligaments on his first day out. there is also alot to master and what you learn in the beginning-how to wedge and skid can be a learning block.

with snowboarding, i think you need to start out a steeper terrain than a basic green trail to get the right mechanics working. but for those who have never been on the slopes, the thought of getting on a steeper than green terrain can be intimidating. plus when you fall, you fall hard as a beginner. it does seem to me that there is less movement with snowboarding though. oh yeah, the shoes are more comfortable too.

i suggest maybe you start yourself out on skis to get used to the slopes. then as you get the hang of it, try snowboarding if you are not in love with skiing. most of my friends who board are converted from skiing. i think they picked up boarding so quickly because they were already used to the slopes and were familiar with how to stop. also, those who have injured their knees tell me that boarding is easier on their knees.

goldsbar

Marc said:
The learning curve for skiing is shallow at first, but you will eventually find it getting steeper and steeper. I'm starting to get to the end of the really steep part of the curve just now.
...I basically just made the transition from a Level II to Level III skier the end last year and into this year. Now I feel comfortable tackling nearly any inbounds open slope I've come across.

Wrong! You're now just getting onto the steep part of the the curve :D

The one thing I can tell the OP is that skiing falls generally hurt FAR less than snowboarding falls.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
goldsbar has a good point, that hardest part of the skiing learning curve is definitely the top end. the gains come fewer and further between. until someone gets to an expert level, huge gains can happen on a single day when lots of things 'just click.' but once you have mastery over techinque, it takes a lot of time and work on the slopes to improve something just slightly. but the good news is once you are at the expert level, you aren't really limited by much so you are free to work on anything, anytime, anywhere and always have fun doing so. you can't do that as a beginner or intermediate.

Hookem

Thanks everyone for the help, I appriciiate it.
IM not really worried about falling, just about how hard is it to learn, but I bet it won't matter because I really wanna learn to ski, so I bet if i try my hardest ill do it.

Thanks alot!

trackbiker

Agree 100% with the clothes and the lesson. Especially the lesson.
If you can, get a First Time Skiers deal where you get ski rental, lift ticket, and lesson for one price. And do it at night or on a weekday! That way you will likely get a private lesson or at most one or two other people. The instructors are not usually busy at those times and often can spend some more time with you. They do enjoy teaching people who really want to learn.
Sounds like you're the kind of person who already loves it. Let is know how you make out.

Tyrolean_skier

Hookem, I was one of those that failed their first ski lesson - in other words, the instructor felt that myself and my friend were so bad that we could not get on a chair lift and thus he failed us. Our friends took us to the top of the mountain (Mt.Snow) and took us down some green trail from there. We did a lot of falling but we also laughed a lot and I was hooked from the beginning so I continued going out there and took more lessons. I still take lessons after skiing more than 25 years because over those years I have acquired some very bad habits that I need to break. I suggest that you take lessons and do not get discouraged if at first you don't get it all. Keep going out there and enjoy yourself on the snow.

Mark D

hammer said:
One person I know who snowboards does so because it's supposedly easier on the knees...is that true?
my dr. acculy yeas at me when i ski. i need knee reblcment from a cuple of sports injorys but he doesn't care if i snowbaord.