2010 Golf - Page 16

AlpineZone

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2010 Golf

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Not to give you a hard time, but that 267ish poke was UPHILL and into a 15mph or so wind. Dustin Johnson is known on tour as one of the longer hitters out there.
    Agreed, he is in the top 5 for driving distance I am sure. The point was that he was in a spot that a lot of other guys, not just the elite hitters, could reach. I mean, even the middle of the pack driving distance guys can bomb it. Those guys are so good.
    2014-15
    Mount Snow: 12/5, 12/6, 12/7, 12/20, 12/21, 1/10, 1/11, 1/24, 1/25, 1/31, 2/1, 2/7, 2/8, 2/21, 2/22, 2/28, 3/1, 3/7, 3/8, 3/15, 3/21, 3/22, 3/28, 3/29.

Total Days: 24 total (no April days, no vacation...baby #1 on the way in April!)

"Skiing's the easy part, Karl."

Quote Originally Posted by jaywbigred View Post
    My hot streak continues. Played 9 holes on Friday after work and I actually lost my swing. Still scrambled around for a 39. Went to the range afterwards, and couldn't quite find the swing again. Played Saturday morning and it was basically more of the same for the first 15 holes (shot 42 on the front), then the swing came back (16th hole = second longest drive of my life!!!!!!) and wound up with a 79. Managed to break 80 because I had 0 blow up holes. Nothing bigger than a 5. Weather was nice so we decided to play an extra 9, but a couple holes in I got pretty tired of walking and feet started to hurt, and concentration level started to sag. Made some dumb course management decisions and shot 44 which I can live with paired with the 39 from Friday for an 83.

Sunday morning went to hit balls to try to figure out where my swing was, and how to get it back to Wednesday's form, and actually didn't make any progress. Then, 15 minutes later on the first tee, like magic, the swing came back. Don't understand how or why, but I destroyed my drive on the 475 yard par 5, and had 120 yards in from there. 3 putt par :/ Things progressed from there, wound up with a personal best 76 on 2 double bogeys, 3 bogeys, and 3 birdies.

How are everyone's local courses? We have one down here (county course that I played on Friday and Sunday) that is very, very burnt out and dry. I think they have stopped watering the fairways altogether. Greens are in good shape, but it doesn't look pretty. Meanwhile, 6 miles away at another county course (same county, too), the course is in very good shape considering the weather. Fairways still green. Courses are similarly styled, pretty open, some trees but not too many. We couldn't figure it out.
    More of the hot streak.

Played Friday after work as the sun was setting. Got 11 holes in, was 4 par over when it go too dark to continue.

Played Saturday morning, shot 78 (par 71) on a triple bogey, a double bogey, 4 bogeys, and 2 birdies. I think my mental game is starting to develop/adjust for playing better. I "felt" like I didn't play that well. I hit 8 GIRs (3 front, 5 back), but I also got up and down from an impossible spot on the 1st hole (had 187 to the green on a par 5, pulled a 7 iron left and it landed hole high--on the cart path--and kicked really high and far passed the green, into the stream behind the green. Took my drop, hit an impossible pitch through the tiniest holes in the trees, then made about a 35 footer for par), and from less than impossible spots on 7, 8 and 9 (2 of those putts were over 7-9 foot range, so the putter was helping a lot). I tripled the 4th hole - yanked the drive left, but everyone in the group thought it was safe. Well, with the dry ground and the fact that apparently I hit in the only gap in the 15 foot tall bushes that line the course driveway, apparently I trickled onto the road. There was my ball, lying 1 foot on the pavement, and its staked OB, even though the course is on both sides of the driveway. I guess they stake it OB to prevent people from play across the road, which makes sense I guess. I couldn't go back and rehit, group behind us was approaching the tee, so I went and dropped a ball in the right rough, being honest about where I would have hit a re-teed drive. Hit the 4th one on the green and then promptly 3 putted, giving me a 7. Since the last revision, I am down to a 9.2 index, which I believe on this course, with a slope of 116, produces a course handicap of 9. Thus, if I am not mistaken, the max I can post for handicap purposes is a double bogey...so I guess I have to post a 77????? Didn't realize that til just now. Luckily, I haven't posted yet. Hmmm.

Anyway, rest of the round was ho hum. Didn't hit a single par 3 green, which is inexcusable, but every tee shot set up to be in between clubs, and somehow I managed to pick the wrong one each time. Doubled #15, which is a touch hole, from the middle of the fairway with 130 yds in. Inexcusable as well. When I got to the par 5 18th, I knew I needed a 5 to break 80, demolished my drive, had 181 in, which is in between clubs for me. Decided short was the better miss, hit 8 iron, just landed on the front of the green, spun off into the rough, chipped to 9 inches for the birdie. Nice way to finish!

Hoping to keep this up! Regardless of how I score, I find that golf is more enjoyable for me, when I hit the sweet spot with my drives, and make a few putts. Luckily, those things tend to help scoring, and then the only other thing I have to do is stay disciplined and count those GIRs.
    2014-15
    Mount Snow: 12/5, 12/6, 12/7, 12/20, 12/21, 1/10, 1/11, 1/24, 1/25, 1/31, 2/1, 2/7, 2/8, 2/21, 2/22, 2/28, 3/1, 3/7, 3/8, 3/15, 3/21, 3/22, 3/28, 3/29.

Total Days: 24 total (no April days, no vacation...baby #1 on the way in April!)

I don't see the distinction. I don't think DJ was cheating either, I think it was an honest mistake by him and his caddie. The fact that other players may have grounded their clubs unknowingly and gotten away with it does not make it somehow fair. DJ was subject to much closer scrutiny than most other players in the field, and that is really a shame, bc fairness of this variety is exactly what golf is supposed to be about.

Price one pays for leading a major tourney

The sarcasm is not appreciated. It IS incredibly frustrating. Other golfers are constantly picking up my ball, moving my ball, etc.. playing partners who I am not that familiar with do not offer any help in looking for wayward shots, even though I constantly help them find their's (something I always do, bc I know how frustrating it is to lose a ball in bounds). Other playing partners, groups behind us, and even starters repeatedly urge you to hit when you know the group in front of you is not out of range yet. It really effects the way the game is played and how enjoyable it is.
    You need to practice the Lee Trevino "No Hunt" rule....you no hunt for my ball, I no hunt for yours....makes it simple

Quote Originally Posted by campgottagopee View Post
    You need to practice the Lee Trevino "No Hunt" rule....you no hunt for my ball, I no hunt for yours....makes it simple
    Haha. Well, I just feel bad for a lot of people I play with. They don't watch where there ball goes. They don't wait for it to stop moving. Esp now, with hard, dry ground, a lot of people just watch it until the time at which it would normally stop rolling. But I keep my eye on it and watch it til it actually stops rolling. Then, when they can't find it, I usually can walk right to it and show them. They say "Oh, how'd it get way over here!??" And rather than say "this is where it ended up after the it kept rolling for another 10 seconds after you stopped watching," I just sigh and smile and shrug.
    2014-15

Golf Lingo

"The Mother In Law Shot": one that looks great leaving
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Nice to see Tiger back atop the leaderboard

After a 41-48(???) - 89 at Mt. Snow last weekend, a midweek 43 (had to submit a 42 though), a Saturday 82 and a Sunday 85, I thought maybe I was coming back to reality, score wise. Then yesterday I shot 76 from the tips (not super long, ~6500) at one of our local courses, w 9 GIRs. Go figure.
    2014-15

The Pro at my club had a hole-in-one during our skins game on Monday---still hangin' over today.

Thread Information