• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2010 Golf

midd

Decided to take the year off. had such a great time playing the plantation course at kapalua in november that everything locally pales in comparison.

plus I've completely plateaued and the game has been more frustrating than enjoyable. I'd rather have an index of 28 than 8 at this point.

drjeff

Went absolutely crazy golf wise today! Things just fell into place, and I had a day on the course that I haven't had one like in almost 25 years. Got to my course about 7:30AM and by the time I got my shoes on, loaded up the cart and hit my 1st shot of the day, it was just about 7:45AM. By the time I holed out my final shot of the day, it was 2:45PM and my tally for the day was 54 HOLES played!! It was the perfect situation for me to be able to play that much! #1 the course I belong too is rarely crowded, and with the heatwave in full effect, it was empty all day long essentially (I only had to wait for a group infront of me on 5 or 6 out of the 54 that I played today!) #2 with the kids in summer camp, I didn't have any parental duties until 3PM #3 having done lots of stuff the prior 4 days that my wife really enojys doing (but I could frankly care less about), the "honey do" list was very sparse today and #4, I was playing well, felt good, and was able to maintain enough hydration to continue wanting to play, and framkly if I didn't have kid pick up duty, probably could hav eplayed atleast 72, if not 90 holes today!

Over all play I was was the epitome pf consistent today score wise, shooting 38-38-76, 38-38-76 and 38-38-76! I had all day long what I'd call my "A-" game! Overall, it was like I was back in high school again and all that was of concern to me was just playing golF! Easily will end up as one of my mopst memorable days oin the course in the now 30+ years I've been playing :)

Warp Daddy

Went absolutely crazy golf wise today! Things just fell into place, and I had a day on the course that I haven't had one like in almost 25 years. Got to my course about 7:30AM and by the time I got my shoes on, loaded up the cart and hit my 1st shot of the day, it was just about 7:45AM. By the time I holed out my final shot of the day, it was 2:45PM and my tally for the day was 54 HOLES played!! It was the perfect situation for me to be able to play that much! #1 the course I belong too is rarely crowded, and with the heatwave in full effect, it was empty all day long essentially (I only had to wait for a group infront of me on 5 or 6 out of the 54 that I played today!) #2 with the kids in summer camp, I didn't have any parental duties until 3PM #3 having done lots of stuff the prior 4 days that my wife really enojys doing (but I could frankly care less about), the "honey do" list was very sparse today and #4, I was playing well, felt good, and was able to maintain enough hydration to continue wanting to play, and framkly if I didn't have kid pick up duty, probably could hav eplayed atleast 72, if not 90 holes today!

Over all play I was was the epitome pf consistent today score wise, shooting 38-38-76, 38-38-76 and 38-38-76! I had all day long what I'd call my "A-" game! Overall, it was like I was back in high school again and all that was of concern to me was just playing golF! Easily will end up as one of my mopst memorable days oin the course in the now 30+ years I've been playing :)

OK OK -- U had a GONZO Day -I get It 54 fraken holes in 100 deg weather -- h'mm staying hydrated ( more about that later ) is one thing but shooting a TRIFECTA of 76's while setting a new record of "Cylinders per hole" is quiote something doc !!

Oh Yeah cylinders or tinnies are BEERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Doc U R a Golf Machine :D

drjeff

Warp, I'd like to day that beers were involved, but with the heat yestetday it was just water, iced tea and powerade zero that was being consumed in LARGE quantities! After my evening mountain bike ride, then beverages in tin cans were emptied in large amounts! :beer: ;)

drjeff

triple 76's is a helluva day. well done.

you didn't hoof the 54, did you?

No way in the heat yesterday. Rode my cart for all 54. There was maybe a total of 30 golfers out at my course while I was playing yesterday, and *maybe* 2 were walking

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I haven't played since courses started opening up around here. I had played a few rounds, had some terrible rounds (lost 18 balls on a 9 hole course! :eek: ), and decided to take some time off. Still happy with my time off. Biking instead of golfing is cheaper and gives me more exercise. Works for me. :D Not sure if I will pick it up again at this point. It is hard justifying the time and expense on something that is often very frustrating. Not sure if I want to commit the money (lessons, range fees, green fees) and time to getting to a point that I consider it worth while continuing to play.
I am definitely done! Golf and I are officially parting ways excepting company scrambles. After giving it another go at the range and having miserable results, I decided that I was not willing to put in the time nor the money to be even mediocre. I could accept never hitting certain scores and not having much distance and never using a driver for lack of accuracy. But I simply can not accept the horrid inconsistency and the vast majority of shots pushing or slicing to the right with my longest reliable club not going completely into the trees (or neighboring fairway) on every shot being a 6I.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I got to thinking the following: I have never come back from a bike ride (which are free after initial equipment purchase) thinking "That was a complete waste of time that I did not enjoy and wasted my money." None of those things cross my mind when I get home from a ride. Maybe, just maybe, if I have a tough ride, I can at least be happy that it was a character builder and contributed to my health and future performance. Same with all the other great outdoor activities I do in the summer. Never a waste of time. Never a horrible experience. Never a waste of money. And the tough ones can always have a positive spin.

Heck with it. Maybe I will pick it back up again when I am an old fart and might not care about time or money as much. But for now, the price in both time and money to become even competent is simply too high. Its a fun game. But I don't enjoy it that much, even on my best days and best shots, to justify that type of investment just to be competent.

:uzi:

FRITOLAYGUY

I am definitely done! Golf and I are officially parting ways excepting company scrambles. After giving it another go at the range and having miserable results, I decided that I was not willing to put in the time nor the money to be even mediocre. I could accept never hitting certain scores and not having much distance and never using a driver for lack of accuracy. But I simply can not accept the horrid inconsistency and the vast majority of shots pushing or slicing to the right with my longest reliable club not going completely into the trees (or neighboring fairway) on every shot being a 6I.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I got to thinking the following: I have never come back from a bike ride (which are free after initial equipment purchase) thinking "That was a complete waste of time that I did not enjoy and wasted my money." None of those things cross my mind when I get home from a ride. Maybe, just maybe, if I have a tough ride, I can at least be happy that it was a character builder and contributed to my health and future performance. Same with all the other great outdoor activities I do in the summer. Never a waste of time. Never a horrible experience. Never a waste of money. And the tough ones can always have a positive spin.

Heck with it. Maybe I will pick it back up again when I am an old fart and might not care about time or money as much. But for now, the price in both time and money to become even competent is simply too high. Its a fun game. But I don't enjoy it that much, even on my best days and best shots, to justify that type of investment just to be competent.

:uzi:

dont give up, honestly im stuck at 90-95 and have never shot below 81 and im fine with it, u get out for 5hrs, see nature, nice green lawn, beer cart if its going bad. Set up a camera behind u and record urself and or take a lesson, cant hurt, either way u will probably see or the person giving the lesson can see what your doing wrong, slicing we all been there, if your right handed chances are your not keeping your left arm near your body on the follow thru impact, put golf glove in your left armpit if it falls out during your swing then your not keeping your arm intact enough to your body etc, it can be a whole bunch of things but id start there..

Geoff

I am definitely done! Golf and I are officially parting ways excepting company scrambles.

That was my conclusion in 2000. My clubs are in the basement and haven't moved. I'm not willing to take the time out of my life to hit balls every day and I have enough of the perfectionist gene that I hate sucking at things. I played on the golf team in high school and I've played enough in my adult life a couple of times to get my game back to bogey golf. My problem is that I totally suck if I don't hit balls just about every day and have a pro fix my swing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm the same way. Sold my clubs to my boss a couple of summers ago. It's a game that requires far too much time for me to play at a level I'm happy with. It's just not a game that I enjoy only playing once a week. Maybe I'll pick it back up again in retirement.

Puck it

Shot a 42 for nine on Saturday. And he is the kicker. I had three birdies. Boy was I inconsistent. Should have been a 37 if it were not for the 8 on #1 and the 7 on #2. I blame the heat.

Warp Daddy

Boy i UNDERSTAND you YOUNG GUNS !

When i was YOUR age i didn't have the time . felt it was a waste of coin and had other less costly activities in terms of time and expense --BUT i felt THE SAME way about Downhill skiing THEN . I got MORE exercise and a BETTER workout from XC and less $$$ and Time ,

Golf IS a FRUSTRATING game -- IF U LET IT GET TO U -- hell i just relax , hit the damn ball -- admittedly i do practice -- BUT its for PHUN -- IT ain't a damn JOB and i REFUSE to let the SMALL STUFF get into my head

By all means follow your instincts and perhaps at some future date you may wish to re-discover the game . But i do GET the Attitude -- I've been where you are at :D

campgottagopee

I'm surprised to read that so many people are giving up on this game, or even putting it on hold. To me I have the same passion for golf as I do for skiing---wouldn't give either one up., ever. I understand the feeling of "wanting to quit", anyone who's played the game at any level has that, but actually doing it, I don't think so. The only thing I can think of is for some it my REALLY be just a "game", but for me it's friendship, laughter, competition, winning, losing, betting, farting, belching, beer, sunshine, wind, rain......I think you get it. That's the part I will ALWAYS REFUSE to give up.

Geoff

Boy i UNDERSTAND you YOUNG GUNS !

When i was YOUR age i didn't have the time . felt it was a waste of coin and had other less costly activities in terms of time and expense --BUT i felt THE SAME way about Downhill skiing THEN . I got MORE exercise and a BETTER workout from XC and less $$$ and Time ,

Golf IS a FRUSTRATING game -- IF U LET IT GET TO U -- hell i just relax , hit the damn ball -- admittedly i do practice -- BUT its for PHUN -- IT ain't a damn JOB and i REFUSE to let the SMALL STUFF get into my head

By all means follow your instincts and perhaps at some future date you may wish to re-discover the game . But i do GET the Attitude -- I've been where you are at :D

Yeah, but unlike golf, I don't suck at downhill skiing if I haven't skied for 6 months. If my skiing degraded the way my golf game does after 6 months, I'd be in the hospital every November.

jaywbigred

Just updating progress here...I'm hitting the crap out of the ball, longer than I've ever been, but still not breaking 80. Coming real close, just seems like if I play 12-16 great holes I play the other holes bad enough to not break 80. Have had an 80, two 81s, and an 83 that was double-par-double on the last 3. A handful of loose swings are really costing me strokes, and golf continues to be "something frustrating I do to pass the time between ski seasons," as I say, but I know I am getting close.

Once I buy the new car, I'll have more time to practice too. Should be good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm surprised to read that so many people are giving up on this game, or even putting it on hold. To me I have the same passion for golf as I do for skiing---wouldn't give either one up., ever. I understand the feeling of "wanting to quit", anyone who's played the game at any level has that, but actually doing it, I don't think so. The only thing I can think of is for some it my REALLY be just a "game", but for me it's friendship, laughter, competition, winning, losing, betting, farting, belching, beer, sunshine, wind, rain......I think you get it. That's the part I will ALWAYS REFUSE to give up.

I can ski at a level I'm happy with even if I only make it out 15 times or so, which I have found myself in the position of a few seasons in my adult life. Golf, I need to participate in far more than that to have my game where I enjoy it. I just don't have the time. I'm on duty with work until pretty much 8 at night, which leaves weekends only; realistically one day a week tops. I suck at the game playing that little. It's not like I need to break 80 either. I just like to be able to play in the low-mid 90s. That requires playing at least a couple of days a week for me. If my life changes and I have the time to do that again, I'll probably pick the sport back up. I've never really LOVED the game though. I'd rather be doing something a bit more physical.

campgottagopee

Just updating progress here...I'm hitting the crap out of the ball, longer than I've ever been, but still not breaking 80. Coming real close, just seems like if I play 12-16 great holes I play the other holes bad enough to not break 80. Have had an 80, two 81s, and an 83 that was double-par-double on the last 3. A handful of loose swings are really costing me strokes, and golf continues to be "something frustrating I do to pass the time between ski seasons," as I say, but I know I am getting close.

Once I buy the new car, I'll have more time to practice too. Should be good.

This may seem silly but give this a whirl:

Breaking 80 is all a mind set---if you're "really" (playin by the rules of golf" shooting 80 or low 80's then you are REALLY close to breaking thru. The only diff between a low single digit capper and 9-10 is his BAD shots. Meaning, your good shots are as good as anyone elses, but your/mine bad shots are no where near as good as a low capper. Does that make any sense??? If so, identify wat makes you hit a bad shot and then pratice that, then I think you'll see your score come down. Before every shot think to yourself how can I hi this and still save par, or at least save a boggie. That mind set has helped me in the past so maybe it will you too....good luck.

campgottagopee

I can ski at a level I'm happy with even if I only make it out 15 times or so, which I have found myself in the position of a few seasons in my adult life. Golf, I need to participate in far more than that to have my game where I enjoy it. I just don't have the time. I'm on duty with work until pretty much 8 at night, which leaves weekends only; realistically one day a week tops. I suck at the game playing that little. It's not like I need to break 80 either. I just like to be able to play in the low-mid 90s. That requires playing at least a couple of days a week for me. If my life changes and I have the time to do that again, I'll probably pick the sport back up. I've never really LOVED the game though. I'd rather be doing something a bit more physical.

That's why, and I get it.

drjeff

Before every shot think to yourself how can I hi this and still save par, or at least save a boggie. That mind set has helped me in the past so maybe it will you too....good luck.

Real solid advice here and the key to breaking that 80 barrier. It's not a question of if your going to hit a "less than ideal" shot during the course of a round, but when. And then when it happens, the 1st thing you should do 99% of the time is get rid of that mentality of trying to hit at miraculous shot that even a PGA Tour pro might be able to pull off 25% of the time, let alone an amateur. Just switch to the mindset of figuring out what you need to do, to make a bogey and take that dreaded double (or worse :eek: :eek: :eek: ) out of play, since you'll likely feel alot better on the next tee having made a bogey than if you have to put a double or triple or worse on the card

Had a sweet golfing treat this morning that I hadn't had happen to me in about 10 years. I holed out my 2nd shot from about 50 yards on a par 4 for a real nice eagle 2! :) Unfortunately I didn't get to see it drop, as it was an uphill pitch shot, with the pin placed on the backside of a ridge that divides thefront/back halves of 8th green at my course. I knew I hit a good shot, then when i drove the cart around the back of the green and didn't see the ball on the putting surface, at first i thought that there was no way that it rolled off the green into the rough, and then when i didn;t see it in the rough, it was a fun, quick walk upto the cup to find my ball at the bottom of it! :)

campgottagopee

Real solid advice here and the key to breaking that 80 barrier. It's not a question of if your going to hit a "less than ideal" shot during the course of a round, but when. And then when it happens, the 1st thing you should do 99% of the time is get rid of that mentality of trying to hit at miraculous shot that even a PGA Tour pro might be able to pull off 25% of the time, let alone an amateur. Just switch to the mindset of figuring out what you need to do, to make a bogey and take that dreaded double (or worse :eek: :eek: :eek: ) out of play, since you'll likely feel alot better on the next tee having made a bogey than if you have to put a double or triple or worse on the card

Had a sweet golfing treat this morning that I hadn't had happen to me in about 10 years. I holed out my 2nd shot from about 50 yards on a par 4 for a real nice eagle 2! :) Unfortunately I didn't get to see it drop, as it was an uphill pitch shot, with the pin placed on the backside of a ridge that divides thefront/back halves of 8th green at my course. I knew I hit a good shot, then when i drove the cart around the back of the green and didn't see the ball on the putting surface, at first i thought that there was no way that it rolled off the green into the rough, and then when i didn;t see it in the rough, it was a fun, quick walk upto the cup to find my ball at the bottom of it! :)

AMEN--lick your wounds and move on.

Nice EAGLE!!!!! Few and far between, but sure awesome when they happen. Ever have a double eagle???? I never have, but have seen a few thrown in against me----f'ers.