• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Biking with Mountain Bikes

hammer

My son and I have basic hard tail mountain bikes that we plan on taking on some road trips (he's a boy scout working on his Cycling merit badge). Ideally I'd like to have some decent road bikes, but I just can't see spending at least $1000 when we currently have 2 functional bikes.

Does anyone here use their mountain bikes for road riding? If so, is there any advice on making the bikes more road-friendly? I do intend to put more road-suitable tires on the bikes.

Grassi21

My son and I have basic hard tail mountain bikes that we plan on taking on some road trips (he's a boy scout working on his Cycling merit badge). Ideally I'd like to have some decent road bikes, but I just can't see spending at least $1000 when we currently have 2 functional bikes.

Does anyone here use their mountain bikes for road riding? If so, is there any advice on making the bikes more road-friendly? I do intend to put more road-suitable tires on the bikes.

If you swap the tires back for MTB and road you might drive yourself nuts. Maybe have a road and MTB wheel set? I'm not sure what the cost of that would be, but the convenience factor and possible weight difference might be nice.

bvibert

Staff member
I'd just switch the tires on your existing wheels, unless you plan on switching back and forth a lot. Pump the pressure up as high as is allowed and have fun!

gorgonzola

I do 30ish mile road/rail trail rides all the time on the mtb. since my routes are usually half canal path/rail trail and half road i just keep the knobbies on - panny fire xc pros are cheap and seem to wear and roll well. i did put the reflectors back on with some additional reflective tape... play around with the seat height and upgrade your grips if you get the numbies, i like the oury lock ons.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'd like to do some road rides out in the country this summer. I've been thinking about picking up a road wheelset. It already helps that my front suspension has a lock-out feature.