• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best skis for Tux

bigbog

...... when losing 10 lbs and working out consistently would do a whole hell of a lot more for most people's skiing than using a different ski. Especially considering Tux is every bit if not more about the way up than the way down.

..From a 50yo+, you get that by default on the hike up, that is what's so nice about the place...imho..:cool:
*Just don't go head over heels for the lightest...never know when you'll run through stuff that'll kick a lightweight ski..
EDIT: ...but think Steve hit it...about avoiding the soft tips/shovel...

Last edited:

kingslug

OK..so again I have to decide between stiff but short Volkls or light but floppy S3's.....Now I'm leaning toward the Volkls as they can handle anything..I should assume that ice may exist at anytime anywhere?? That would suck on the S3's, probably undoable!!

Last edited:

powpig2002

jesus christ, they used to ski it on 10' pieces of hickory. the joys of the quiver. by the time i decided , the snow melted.

2knees

Of course. But people (not necessarily the OP) make such a big deal of equipment; different skis, boots, your mother's panties...what have you, when losing 10 lbs and working out consistently would do a whole hell of a lot more for most people's skiing than using a different ski. Especially considering Tux is every bit if not more about the way up than the way down.

jesus christ, they used to ski it on 10' pieces of hickory. the joys of the quiver. by the time i decided , the snow melted.

:lol:

powpig2002

correct you are. but does the mailman spend all day deciding on the truck he/she will drive? oops, mailPERSON. sorry.

SKIQUATTRO

looking at tux next spring...wondering on what type of pack (size/manufacture/hydration compat) etc...any advice? specifics appreciated..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
looking at tux next spring...wondering on what type of pack (size/manufacture/hydration compat) etc...any advice? specifics appreciated..
Do you have a hiking backpack already? If you only plan on going up once or every once in a long while, it may not be worth the money to buy a pack if you already have a hiking pack. A pack needs to have a method to buckle your skis to the pack, usually with compression straps on either side (A-Frame style is popular).

If you are going to be going frequently, think of something big enough to carry layers. Big enough to stuff a helmet, goggles, ski pants, jacket, fleece, gloves, water (reservoir holder or space for bottles (2-3L is good), and food as well as any other supplies you might want such as duct tape, first aid, etc. Diagonal ski carry is great both for hiking up and especially for climbing. You can't go wrong with tons of straps on the outside of the pack. Think long term use if you plan on doing a lot of hiking.

Otherwise, just use whatever hiking pack you already have if it is large enough for all your layers and has straps for ski carry. Of course, belt and sternum straps should be on the pack.

SKIQUATTRO

i have a pack, but cant fit my boots inside, would have to strap them to the outside and skis..also dont think its big enough (dont know cubic size) what cubic size you recommend to be able to fit boots and all the gear for a day at tux

Mildcat

i have a pack, but cant fit my boots inside, would have to strap them to the outside and skis..also dont think its big enough (dont know cubic size) what cubic size you recommend to be able to fit boots and all the gear for a day at tux

Just click the boots into the bindings.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just click the boots into the bindings.
This. Or you can sling the velcro strap over the top of your pack behind your shoulders with the boots dangling on either side of the pack. I prefer this method to keep things "tight" rather than having winged extensions on both sides. That and the fact that I diagonal carry which doesn't work well with boots clicked in.