Hiking spots near/around New York area

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hiking spots near/around New York area

Hey folks, I'm new to this site and forum, hopefully I can get some useful advice and information.

I'm a California native and plan to move out to the North East later this spring. I'm wondering what are some good hikes/trails that would be comparable to the Half Dome hike in Yosemite National Park? I did that hike and want something of similar caliber/challenge.

Any advice or recommendations would be great. Thanks.

My experience with Half Dome is documented in the following blog for those who are interested: http://outdoorlife.emeetyou.com/41-y...he-knee-buster

Good luck with your move out here. I don't know if you'll find anything as scenic as Half Dome out this way though. I'd like to start getting into some hiking during this off season.

I don't know anything about hiking in the area, but I did the same move almost three years ago. Its not Northern California, but there are far more outdoor recreational opportunities out here than you might imagine. The only thing that really sucks is the unpredictable weather, which can spoil the best plans no matter what time of the year.

Btw...the pictures and report from your Half Dome trip, and Andy Zee's frustratingly unlabeled pics, are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ta&idaho View Post
    I don't know anything about hiking in the area, but I did the same move almost three years ago. Its not Northern California, but there are far more outdoor recreational opportunities out here than you might imagine. The only thing that really sucks is the unpredictable weather, which can spoil the best plans no matter what time of the year.

Btw...the pictures and report from your Half Dome trip, and Andy Zee's frustratingly unlabeled pics, are awesome.
    Wow, I'm sorry,

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    Wow, I'm sorry,
    I'm just curious where those pics are from. Both places look awesome, and I know virtually zero about summer recreational locales in the Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by ta&idaho View Post
    I'm just curious where those pics are from. Both places look awesome, and I know virtually zero about summer recreational locales in the Northeast.
    +1

First three pics are Mohonk Preserve outside of New Paltz NY, next we have two shots for my local favorite, Breakneck Ridge just north of Cold Springs, NY. Next set of pics are the Adirondacks, first ones are Gothic and the last is on top of Algonquin. These are between Keene Valley and Lake Placid NY

really great HD trip report...i'd say another benefit to going so early is that you're not baking in the midday sun on top after the climb

imho, while there are great hikes here in the northeast, there is nothing like the half-dome hike anywhere in the US...angels landing is maybe the closest, but doesn't require nearly the same stamina that HD does...

there are some great waterfall hikes in/around delaware water gap if you like that kind of thing

anyone ever done mt whitney? would love to bag that one
    Last edited by spring_mountain_high; Mar 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM.

Thread Information