• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Update your Firefox!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
There's a major vulnerability in prior versions of Firefox that might affect you. Or not.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5827
Security researcher Evgeny Legerov of Intevydis reported that the WOFF decoder contains an integer overflow in a font decompression routine. This flaw could result in too small a memory buffer being allocated to store a downloadable font. An attacker could use this vulnerability to crash a victim’s browser and execute arbitrary code on his/her system.

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for reminding me. I had downloaded the update yesterday, but forgot to restart my browser since then...

ctenidae

Using a laptop that we had in Boston tonight, and I just updated Firefox to version 6.whatever. That's not remarkable, except that it updated from v3. Yikes.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Using a laptop that we had in Boston tonight, and I just updated Firefox to version 6.whatever. That's not remarkable, except that it updated from v3. Yikes.
I'm still on 3.6.xx. I don't like the direction FF is going but the alternatives don't have the extensions and add ons. I wish Opera had the open source enhancement mafia that FF has. Opera is a good browser but I can't get my required add ons in Opera.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
pschhh. Real power users are on Chrome :lol:
I'd rather use IE. Which is to say, I would never use either of them.

Tried Chrome and was terribly disappointed, perhaps the worst browser I've ever used. It ain't all about speed. I find Google is very hit or miss with their applications. I found Chrome to be a complete and total miss.

bvibert

Staff member
I've tried chrome a few times, was never impressed and went right back to FF.

Cannonball

I'd rather use IE. Which is to say, I would never use either of them.

Tried Chrome and was terribly disappointed, perhaps the worst browser I've ever used. It ain't all about speed. I find Google is very hit or miss with their applications. I found Chrome to be a complete and total miss.

Ahh to each his own I guess. I was immediately hooked by Chrome. Been using it since day 1. So simple, efficient, and effective. FF reminds of iTunes in that it seems to need an update every few days. And IE.....I'd rather go to the library and thumb through the card catalog.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Agreed on problems with Firefox needing updating far too soon. Chrome is too simple to me. I like my menus and buttons and stuff (though I do customize FF to have the absolute minimum "height" on my toolbars and menus and buttons). Have they added a Bookmarks sidebar to Chrome yet?

Cannonball

^ Chrome has a bookmarks toolbar.....

chromebookmarks.JPG

Edd

I find IE9 to be very similar to Chrome for the basic web browsing that I do.

I only recently tried Chrome. My netbook started to lag horribly loading web pages using IE8 with XP. This went on for days. I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I downloaded Chrome and was shocked at the increase in speed. It was suddenly like a new computer. My desktop has had IE9 for awhile so getting used to Chrome was effortless.

bvibert

Staff member
Agreed on problems with Firefox needing updating far too soon. Chrome is too simple to me. I like my menus and buttons and stuff (though I do customize FF to have the absolute minimum "height" on my toolbars and menus and buttons). Have they added a Bookmarks sidebar to Chrome yet?

FF is far from perfect, but it's still the best option out there for me. Chrome, as mentioned, is too simple and not customizable enough for me. I've gotten quite used to some features that I get from FF add-ons, if I could get Chrome to behave the same way I'd give it another shot. I too have my toolbars and menus setup for minimum height, everything is in one row (menu, address bar, search box, etc..). Of course then I got and ruin that by having up to 3 rows of tabs open. I don't do bookmarks, I just load my last session that has all of the websites I use everyday and whatever else sparked my fancy the last time I was surfing.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Chrome's done a good job of adding on features. I run Lastpass, WOT, Google Music, Delicious, Chrome-to-Phone, Google Voice, Skype, Firebug for layout / developing, all in my add-ons.

FF probably still hast he most add-ons though. I'm biased against IE but they have come quite a ways in the last few versions.

Geoff

I'd never had a compelling reason to switch away from IE. I've always had Firefox on my machines but rarely launched it. IE bloat finally got to me. My PC kept hanging in page fault hell. IE was chewing up a gigabyte of memory.