• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Liberty/Flume Traverse -- 2.20.06

MtnMagic

Date Hiked:
February 20, 2006

Total Distance:
10.7 miles, 3800' elevation gain. A summer book time of 7.25 hours. Winter book time approx 8 hours with lots of rest, food, water, scenery stops.

Difficulty:
Moderate to strenuous, depending on how fit one is and the weight of their pack.

Conditions:
Hard packed snow, lots of ice and wind above treeline. All water crossings were very easy and well frozen on this day. We counted eight downed trees on the entire traverse, two that were easily climbed under, the rest were walked over or leisurely around. Crampons were essential up high, stabilicers could be useful down low. Full winter gear and face protection needed, trekking poles optional.

Special Required Equipment:
Full winter conditions. Snowshoes were not needed, crampons and balaclava are most definitely essential. Goggles and trekking poles helpful.
Trip Report:
Julie, Freddi, Dave, Ray, Ghostdog and I left 2 vehicles at the Lin-wood lot on the Kanc and drove to the Basin parking lot on I-93 North, geared up,and hit the bike path south. We took the bushwhack route from the bike path and merged with Liberty Springs Trail, saving about a mile. Snow over ice filled the void between the rocks nicely and we got some occasional views from Liberty summit and many on Flume. We dawned our G-10's to prepare for the steep descent down Osseo and out Lin-Wood Trails.

Just at the Slide/Osseo junction, a little after 2pm, we were surprised to hear the voices of hikers coming up the Flume Slide Trail. First a woman came into view and related how incredibly difficult the climb up this trail was. We could see how scared she was by the expression on her face. Next her Pastor, arrived at the junction of Osseo. These (both from the Freedom Church) hikers had G-10 crampons, struggled up the extremely steep slide for 5 hours, did not research this very icy, treacherous
trail, had no map, and further more, they both admitted they didn't know where to go next!

We looked at each other in amazement. This was my third encounter with lost hikers in less than two months. Not to know what routes one is taking, just go and hike a mountain they have never been on before, and not even bring a map, is a perfect formula for tragedy. So why *do* people continue this unrational behavior? We steered them to Mounts Flume and Liberty and told them to descend the Liberty Spring Trail past the tent platforms back to their car.

Another wonderful winter day to hike, help two other hikers, enjoy fine fellowship, plan future hikes, get some sun, and some views in the magnificent mountains!

Mike P.

Quite a report, While you were in the Western Whites, bot myself & the other moderator of the hiking discussion board, Michael J. were in the Carter Notch area, he was at the hut for the weekend while I was hiking the Wildcats.

Did one of their packs say God is my Trip Co-Leader?

MtnMagic

On the cold, windy 18th was a Tom, Field, Willey traverse.

Wow, Mike. Another hiker, pucknuts asked me the same question. The answer we decided, God is my co-pilot,which they certainly needed!