• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter pack comparison - looking for opinions

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well I have (or will shortly) a solid day pack of 1900 cu in already, and I'm looking for something with more volume. After a lot of looking, I think I've narrowed my search to two very solid looking packs.

Back Country Access 3,900 cu in

and

EMS 4,700 cu in

I'd like some opnions on these packs. They both weigh about the same, mostly the same features.

Anyone with experience with either brands in terms of quality, fit, construction etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and both are around $120. Man do I love sales.

JimG.

Staff member
BCA packs are superior for ski mountaineering. I have the BCA Stash which is my small climbing pack. Super secure diagonal ski carry system, the water system is excellent and the bite tube in the shoulder strap is convenient and resists freezing. Lots of loops and straps for shovels or ice tools.

That's a good price too.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Man, you ain't makin this easy Jim. I just had a friend recommend the EMS pack for the extra storage space.

I'm probably going to be happy with either one, I'm guessing.

But I appreciate your opinion Jim.

bvibert

Staff member
Marc said:
Man, you ain't makin this easy Jim. I just had a friend recommend the EMS pack for the extra storage space.

I'm probably going to be happy with either one, I'm guessing.

But I appreciate your opinion Jim.
Eh, buy them both! ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Marc said:
So I am buy two, and I don't want to buy three ;)

You can never have too many packs!!! ;)

Sorry I'm not more help, I don't have any experience with either pack. I have had several EMS packs of the years though and I like them

JimG.

Staff member
Marc said:

Depends on what you want to do with it. My Stash is tiny (900 cu in), but I bought it for climbing and skiing, not lugging alot. The ski carry and water systems were the main selling features.

My lugging pack is an EMS pack that's 4500 cu in.