• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit at Sugarloaf: 3/25 - 3/28

Greg

Staff member
Well, I got here a day early so I figured I'd get this epic thread started. Made good time, 6 hours, hardly any stops. Got skiing at 2:20. I planned to use a full day comp just for the few hours this afternoon. The nice guest services women just gave me a lift ticket!

Rode the Superquad twice, Spillway once, then made my way over to King Pine. Weird combo of snow surfaces. Windblown ice, wind-loaded deep manky powder, corn, pre-corn, packed powder was all common on the same trail. Definitely challenging on your toes skiing.

There was a stretch on the king pine quad in the middle of that area that was sweet corn. up high scratchy, down low sticky wet snow. I've never seen so many different conditions in one day.

Hit lowery Misery Whip, Haul Back, Widowmaker, and even Ripsaw. Some of that was spectacular, some of it borderline miserable. Still glad to get on some natural trails....might be hard to come by after the big freeze coming.

Got checked in and I'm finishing up a Bag burger now. I'll be out early tomorrow to rip some cord.

WoodCore

I also headed North early this morning en route to Sugarloaf. Decided to visit an old friend and make some turns at Loon today. Snow was a little firm when I started but quickly softened and made for some sweet turns. Skied from 9:30 till a little after 3 and managed a healthy 30000 feet of descent. I'm currently holed up in N. Conway getting ready catch some zzzz's so I can hit the road towards Saddlerback in the morning.

Glenn

In on page one!

Have a great time guys! Keep us posted and post lots o' pics!

Greg

Staff member
no snow last light. Much colder this morning and everything is frozen. Gonna be flat and fast today. Thank god for grooming. Yep.....I said that. :razz:

reefer

no snow last light. Much colder this morning and everything is frozen. Gonna be flat and fast today. Thank god for grooming. Yep.....I said that. :razz:

Well get out there and start skiing some bumps into those groomers...................should I bring my hockey skates?

2knees

make the best of it, not everything can be as good as gunny on a 70 degree day....:razz:

Greg

Staff member
Coffee break. Man...it feels cold out there, especially after being exposed to all the spring weather. Some okay skiing off Spillway. Stuff that was more recently groomed is decent. Stuff groomed earlier last night, especially the lower mountain is rock hard and teeth chattering. Should be better tomorrow if they can chop that up. Ungroomed stuff will be off limits this weekend, I'd imagine.

The positives....the view is fantastic. Breezy but not overly windy and there is a edge of the clouds that is slowly moving east. Lots of clear deep blue sky to the west. Hopefully the sun will warm things up and loosen some of the snow. I'm gonna give it an hour and head back out.

reefer

Coffee break. Man...it feels cold out there, especially after being exposed to all the spring weather. Some okay skiing off Spillway. Stuff that was more recently groomed is decent. Stuff groomed earlier last night, especially the lower mountain is rock hard and teeth chattering. Should be better tomorrow if they can chop that up. Ungroomed stuff will be off limits this weekend, I'd imagine.

The positives....the view is fantastic. Breezy but not overly windy and there is a edge of the clouds that is slowly moving east. Lots of clear deep blue sky to the west. Hopefully the sun will warm things up and loosen some of the snow. I'm gonna give it an hour and head back out.

This certainly will be shocking after last week..............................shades and T-shirt!

Greg

Staff member
This certainly will be shocking after last week..............................shades and T-shirt!

Indeed. It feels very much like mid-winter out there....

Greg

Staff member
its improving. sun is fully out now which helps warm you on the lift. too bad the wind blows the warmth away again. snow is loosening in spots. lots of chunks but its mixed with nice snow. should be great after another groom tonight.

wa-loaf

Sitting at widow maker with Paul and o3jeff waiting for folks to show up. Getting loaded.

bvibert

Staff member
Posting from the meet and greet party. If you're reading this then you're a loser for not being here...