• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Welcome to vBulletin!

Greg

Staff member
Let's try this again...

Some of you may have seen this vBulletin version up for a few hours this afternoon. Well, I killed the dataase so I decided the best approach would be to simply start over. I think we're back in action. Please realize that any posts made this afternoon were lost as I had to restore from the phpBB data.

Anyway, one of the posts that was lost was a long spiel about the hows and whys of the conversion from phpBB to vBulletin. The short version is (1) we had to and (2) it's better...:p Perhaps when I get some energy, I'll elaborate, but for now you'll just have to trust me.

Thanks for your patience.

Greg

Staff member
Oh...I should mention, please log into your User Control Panel and confirm all settings are correct. There are several new settings as well that may need to be modified, specifically signatures and your timezone.

Please post all requests for help with the new software in the Site Feedback and Help forum. Thanks.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Additional Settings (User Control Panel => Options) that I found that many of you may wish to modify are the Default Thread Subscription Mode and the Email and Popup Notifications for Private Messages.

My profile started out subscribing me to every thread I replied to, and wouldn't notify me at all of private messages, so check to see what yours are and set them how you like.

BeanoNYC

Hey looks great! I've always liked this style forum where you can scroll over a thread and a popup gives you the first few sentences before you decide to click on it. I typically enter the forum through the "new posts" link that I have bookmarked, so I've changed that in my browser. Now it's time to play with the settings. Two quick questions:

1) Any new avatar rules we should know about?
2) PM folder gives a limit of 50 saved, but I have a lot more. Should I delete some before some get deleted for me?

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
Hey looks great! I've always liked this style forum where you can scroll over a thread and a popup gives you the first few sentences before you decide to click on it. I typically enter the forum through the "new posts" link that I have bookmarked, so I've changed that in my browser. Now it's time to play with the settings. Two quick questions:

1) Any new avatar rules we should know about?
2) PM folder gives a limit of 50 saved, but I have a lot more. Should I delete some before some get deleted for me?
1 - nope. Avatar limits are the same.
2 - I increased the max number of PMs to 500. No user currently has more than that (besides me, but I can set my limit higher :p )...

bvibert

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
What's the difference between an avatar and a profile picture?
A profile picture just shows up in your profile, the one site that I've seen implement them allows for bigger pics so that you can actually see what a person looks like if you want...

I put one in my profile, but greg doesn't seem to have it turned on...

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
A profile picture just shows up in your profile, the one site that I've seen implement them allows for bigger pics so that you can actually see what a person looks like if you want...

I put one in my profile, but greg doesn't seem to have it turned on...
Neat. I updated the setting to allow for a profile pic up to 320x320 pixels and 100kb.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Neat. I updated the setting to allow for a profile pic up to 320x320 pixels and 100kb.
Cool, but I still don't see the pic in the profile. I uploaded one to mine...

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Cool, but I still don't see the pic in the profile. I uploaded one to mine...
I see yours...

pepsi

Still nice.

And thanks again. :)

I can't seem to change my avatar, it let me delete the old one though. I'll try again later.

bvibert

Staff member
pepsi said:
I can't seem to change my avatar, it let me delete the old one though. I'll try again later.

Are you trying to upload one from your computer, or from a URL somewhere? What happens when you try?

pepsi

From my computer.
When I hit the reset fields button, which if I remember correctly, brings up the window with the options, nothing happens. Except the time I clicked on the "No avatar" button, that time it deleted the old one.

bvibert

Staff member
pepsi said:
From my computer.
When I hit the reset fields button, which if I remember correctly, brings up the window with the options, nothing happens. Except the time I clicked on the "No avatar" button, that time it deleted the old one.

First you should click on the browse button to get the path the pic on your computer. Then click on the Save Changes button. The Reset Fields is just supposed to delete what you type into the test boxes for the URL and/or file location.

pepsi

bvibert said:
First you should click on the browse button to get the path the pic on your computer. Then click on the Save Changes button.

Sorry, that's what I meant when I said nothing happens, I don't get the box with the choice to put in a url or browse. All I get is "save changes" or "reset". It took a few tries yesterday before it came up also so maybe it's this end somehow?

bvibert

Staff member
pepsi said:
Sorry, that's what I meant when I said nothing happens, I don't get the box with the choice to put in a url or browse. All I get is "save changes" or "reset". It took a few tries yesterday before it came up also so maybe it's this end somehow?
Something is definitely wrong then. What OS and browser are you using?

pepsi

bvibert said:
What OS and browser are you using?

XP Pro and Firefox. I hadn't thought of that but after you mentioned it I tried IE and then another computer and it's all the same. Everything else still works. The options do come up to put in a profile pic, just not with the avatar. I'll try again later. Thanks.

Greg

Staff member
pepsi said:
XP Pro and Firefox. I hadn't thought of that but after you mentioned it I tried IE and then another computer and it's all the same. Everything else still works. The options do come up to put in a profile pic, just not with the avatar. I'll try again later. Thanks.
Try it now.