• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vBulletin Feedback Thread

Are the forums better since the vBulletin upgrade?

• Yes, the vBulletin version is much better!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, I preferred phpBB.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't really care as long as I can post...

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

bvibert

Staff member
YardSaleDad said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to see that User Info Box on the right side of a post, instead of on top, like the old version had. IMHO it is a better use of space and makes for a better thread flow.

Yeah that was in my first post of suggested 'improvements' .

bvibert said:
Can the header with the user info (avatar, name, joined date, etc..) be moved to the left of the message instead of above it? I kinda liked it better to the left, but maybe others like it on top better anyway.

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Can the header with the user info (avatar, name, joined date, etc..) be moved to the left of the message instead of above it? I kinda liked it better to the left, but maybe others like it on top better anyway.
Done.

vBulletin is extremely powerful and easy to make such changes. They have a fantastic templating system. With phpBB, I had to edit template files and reupload. This is much more sophisticated!

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
I see you added it back in, thanks! :D

Now can you make it so that it shows up in the user info in the box above each post? Maybe even below the avatar?? ;)
Done! :cool:

ctenidae

Rock it, Greg.

Looks great so far. Almost exactly the same as before, only completely different.
it's funny how wwe get used to certain formats, adn don't liek changing them.

We fear change.

Hey, how'd this happen:

Most users ever online was 77, Today at 02:24 AM.

Today? 2.24 am? Did that counter reset or something? And what are all those people doing up at 2.24 am?

bvibert

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Hey, how'd this happen:

Most users ever online was 77, Today at 02:24 AM.

Today? 2.24 am? Did that counter reset or something? And what are all those people doing up at 2.24 am?
The counter almost certainly reset with the new software. As for the time, go to your profile and change your time zone. Thats 2:24 am GMT, which is 9:24 pm the day before ET... ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Awesome Greg, I like it much better with the user info on the left! The avatar description is pretty cool too, I love that you got it positioned under the avatar! :beer:

And the peaks/title bars are back under our names, well done! :snow:

pepsi

ctenidae said:
Looks great so far. Almost exactly the same as before, only completely different.

bvibert said:
Awesome Greg, I like it much better with the user info on the left! The avatar description is pretty cool too, I love that you got it positioned under the avatar!

Yes, everything looks great!! :beer:

I also really like how you don't have to un-check the "remember me?" box at login for when I use different computers.

bvibert

Staff member
andyzee said:
How do you get the description under the avatar?
Go to the User CP and click on 'Edit Options'. The very last option is to set your avatar description.

Greg

Staff member
andyzee said:
How do you get the description under the avatar?
Edit your profile. There's an "Avatar" field there now. Click User CP (top left), then Edit Options. Scroll to the bottom.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
By the way...

If you read all the posts in a forum and go back to the index, that forum will still show up as having unread posts until the next time you go to the index, even though it doesn't. I've seen this at *all* vBulletin sites and I believe it's just an artifact of how it works.

If you use the Forum Tools pulldown to mark a forum read, then it will immediately be cleared of the new posts indicator.

bvibert

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
By the way...

If you read all the posts in a forum and go back to the index, that forum will still show up as having unread posts until the next time you go to the index, even though it doesn't. I've seen this at *all* vBulletin sites and I believe it's just an artifact of how it works.

If you use the Forum Tools pulldown to mark a forum read, then it will immediately be cleared of the new posts indicator.
I've been playing with this since I've noticed the same behavior on other vBulletin sites. If you're reading the last new thread in a forum and then go directly to the main index it will show the forum you were in as having new messages. If you go back to the forum index that the thread was in and then to the main index it will show the forum as not having any new messages.

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
Has anyone else tried a forum serach? I just tried a few (yes, the search terms would generate matches) and I didn't get any results...
I reindexed the site this morning. The search should be returning more complete results now.

bvibert

Staff member
Now I'm getting nit-picky... Is there a way to change the verticle alignment of the smilies in the text? It used to be that the image was aligned to the bottom of the text, now it seems to be aligned to the middle...

Am I the only one annoyed by this????

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Yes, you are...

Probably... ;)

I thought you might say that.

While I'm being a PITA anyway...

Can you make it so that attachments open in a new window? I just accidently closed the thread I was reading after I was done looking at the attachment... :rolleyes:

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Can you make it so that attachments open in a new window? I just accidently closed the thread I was reading after I was done looking at the attachment... :rolleyes:
Now that's a fair request. Done.