• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vBulletin Feedback Thread

Are the forums better since the vBulletin upgrade?

• Yes, the vBulletin version is much better!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, I preferred phpBB.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't really care as long as I can post...

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm not sure if this was discussed yet...But I used to access the forums through a link Gregg gave me, one that led to the new posts since my last visit. Is there a similar link for the v-bulletin? I know about accessing the forums and then hitting new posts. But the old way saved a step.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

bvibert

Staff member
marcski said:
I'm not sure if this was discussed yet...But I used to access the forums through a link Gregg gave me, one that led to the new posts since my last visit. Is there a similar link for the v-bulletin? I know about accessing the forums and then hitting new posts. But the old way saved a step.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think this is the link you're looking for:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/search.php?do=getnew

You can get to by clicking on "New Posts" in the menu bar above..

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
bvibert said:
Can you make it so that attachments open in a new window? I just accidently closed the thread I was reading after I was done looking at the attachment... :rolleyes:
Now that's a fair request. Done.
What happened to this? I just opened an attachment and it opened in the same window... :confused:

skibum1321

I miss the old member's list where you could sort by number of posts, etc. It was fun to see how many posts people had. I was starting to break the top 25 too....

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
What happened to this? I just opened an attachment and it opened in the same window... :confused:
Confirmed the settings are correct. Works fine for me...

skibum1321 said:
I miss the old member's list where you could sort by number of posts, etc. It was fun to see how many posts people had. I was starting to break the top 25 too....
Just go to the memberlist and click on the Posts column:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30

Any other comments/questions? Other site elements that relied heavily on phpBB are being converted over as we speak.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Confirmed the settings are correct. Works fine for me...

Crap, it must be Firefox then. I thought I sorted out all of the issues after the recent upgrade... :roll:

hammer

The "Recent Discussions" area of the main page used to have the latest posts but it doesn't seem to update when a post is added to an existing topic...will this be changed or is this a new design feature?

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
The "Recent Discussions" area of the main page used to have the latest posts but it doesn't seem to update when a post is added to an existing topic...will this be changed or is this a new design feature?
New design limitation... I'll look into it, but it's not high on the priority list. Currently, the list shows new threads, not new posts. Clicking those links will bring you to the latest posts in the thread though...

hammer

Greg said:
New design limitation... I'll look into it, but it's not high on the priority list. Currently, the list shows new threads, not new posts. Clicking those links will bring you to the latest posts in the thread though...
No problem...

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
I've somewhat addressed this. The list now includes topics with new posts. The date/time stamps are a bit misleading though as they are still pulled from the original thread post. It's an improvement though. Baby steps.... ;)

Greg

Staff member
I've enabled database storing to control how threads and forums are marked as read (versus using cookies). It's my understanding that threads will be more accurately marked as read or unread now.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
I've enabled database storing to control how threads and forums are marked as read (versus using cookies). It's my understanding that threads will be more accurately marked as read or unread now.
Thanks! It's are working MUCH better now! :D :spin:

Keep up the good work! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Thanks! It's are working MUCH better now! :D :spin:

Keep up the good work! :beer:
Thanks B. I've also found that now accurate thread marking is independent of whether you're logged in or not...

Greg

Staff member
For giggles, I added a poll to this thread.

Greg

Staff member
It's hard to believe we've been on the vBulletin format for nine months now and things are humming right along. I am sooooo glad I converted.