• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elliptical trainers- thoughts?

bvibert

Staff member
I don't know. Generally they let you run on the road for free though.

REALLY??? :eek:

I was asking because this is a thread about elliptical trainers, and you specifically responded to someone who was describing what they did on a treadmill... ;)

Sky

The treadmill I have access to allows you to program a workout/rest speed.

I prefer to avoid the delays associated with the shifts in speed and just use the handrails to support my weight as I hop off (feet to the edges of the machine). If I'm working out with someone, there's room to step off so the other guy can step on and, much like a dog held over water, start running while you hold onto the handrails.

It works....although it may look comical. :>

The treadmill timer is what I use vs a wrist watch.

If I were doing this outside...I'd opt for a distance (50 or 100 meters...400's..whatever).

I don't think the eliptical is "best" for VO2Max. The machine supports too much of your body weight and (in my opinion) sustains too much momentum when you try to change speeds.

The treadmill "makes" you run at a certain speed. Running requires each leg (in turn) to support your total body weight.

I'm sure there's a site out there with better info that what I''m spewing. But my experience with all these pieces of equipment lead me to prefer (for a single item for the home) to be the eliptical.

I just found a site for tall lifters. It explains how tall guys (6'2" and up I think) should adjust the workout and why. I'll slide it in here via "edit" if I can relocate it. BAM!

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_tall_guys_get_jacked

You can gt a decent workout, you can vary direction (forwards or backwards), and it's less bang on the knees...and you're more likely to use it regardless of what shape you're in (easy when you're out...bang it hard when you're further along with the program).

Weights three days a week (three different workouts) and cardio in between.

Do something. :>

wa-loaf

Do they have treadmills that you can program to do intervals like that? Seems like it would be a pain to keep changing the speed every 10-20 seconds...

The one we have a work lets you do intervals and you set a low and high speed, then you hit the button when you want to switch. The treadmill takes so long to speed up/slow down I don't think it could handle 20-10 sec intervals. Sounds like if you are doing it on a machine the stationary bike or elliptical is the better choice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stairmaster is the best machine I've found for intervals. I do either random or progressive intervals. switches every 30 seconds. 15 minutes doing one of those programs kicks my ass twice as hard as 30 minutes on the elyptical.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I like the intervals on the arc trainer. Still maintain that it's been the best for strength building for me thus far without hurting my knee. :D

Sky

Stairmaster is the best machine I've found for intervals. I do either random or progressive intervals. switches every 30 seconds. 15 minutes doing one of those programs kicks my ass twice as hard as 30 minutes on the elyptical.

I think you are correct. I was at some hotel and tried their stair machine (whatever brand) and I got about 3 minutes into it and said Screw This! :>

That's sort of why I prefer/recommend the eliptical. The stair machine, like the rowing machine and (to a lesser extent) the treadmill sort of demand you work hard whenever you use it. So, if for whatever reason you (or your spouse) are less than "amp'd" to do the workout...you may be more likely to put it off.

With the eliptical, you (in my opinion) are more likely to get on the darned thing and do 20 to 30 minutes. And if you're amp'd...you can work pretty hard at it. With the treadmill, you can walk, walk really fast...etc.

Like the number of ski manufacturers out there....the variety of equipment is out there for you choose from. However you workout, whatever your limitations...whatever you have access to elsewhere (vs what you want in your home)....as long as you're doing "something"....you're doing well.