• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Frodo Gains on Winter Record!

MtnMagic

Frodo and Stinkyfeet are quickly gaining on completing the NH 4'k in winter during consecutive daily trips. At 4 and 5 peaks a day they are speeding through them -- more than 36 in just 9 days. Anyone who has hiked with AZ member Frodo knows what a incredible power hiker he is.

The trip reports are posted daily on VFTT bulletin board. Hiking guru Mohamed Ellozy has added this amazing attempt on his site. http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/winter-record.html

Greg

Staff member
I hope Frodo has time to take some pictures and plans on uploading them here!

MtnMagic

I hope he spends at least a few seconds taking some pix. Though I haven't read he has taken any in his trip reports. An amazing 45 down, 3 to go. Will they complete Carrigain, Waumbec, and Owl's Head today?

Having climbed them all, it is astounding to climb 4 and 5 mountains in just one day. Carrigain is 14 miles in the winter with the Sawyer River gates closed. Owl's is about 16 via the bushwhack past Black Pond. The climb to the summit is *tough and dangerous* with ice on the very steep ledge slope with loose scree added as a bonus.

Comparitively, Star King to Waumbec will be just a short walk in the woods. Frodo can hike 2.5 miles an hour going up a 40 degree slope. I would have to jog for a while, then drop back. Amazing!

MtnMagic

You guys certainly are the champs in my book. You completed all 48 peaks in just 10 days, 22 hours and 37 minutes, during the snow of winter, no less. An astounding accomplishment, one that is truly remarkable. When we fly the flags on the 48 next year, the Guinness is on me! Bravo!

Jayne

re: Winter record

Congrats to Frodo and Stinky Feet for completing their goal in such a staggering, no pun instended, time...10 days 22 hrs 37 min. My hat is off to both of you and Thom ( cause he is out there freezing his butt off right now).

MtnMagic

Wishing Brother Thom warm and wonderful adventures as he completes his 48 in the winter. This week (and even next week) has serious wind chills that are most definitely dangerous.