• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

wa-loaf

Seriously though, if I grew up here in NH, I would have learned to drive stick. Down in MA, I never had any desire to learn stick in traffic jam central where there is a light every mile. That may be lazy of me but I just saw it as not being worth the hassle.

I drive down the pike in stop and go in my stick almost everyday. Never bothered me. Although it is probably putting a lot of wear on my clutch.

hammer

I drive down the pike in stop and go in my stick almost everyday. Never bothered me. Although it is probably putting a lot of wear on my clutch.
Call me lazy but I've tried using my Geartronic shifter in traffic (which I know is not the same)...and I usually switch back to full auto in less than a minute.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
After driving a station wagon and then minivan for many years, I begged for something with a stick shift and a sunroof. Call it midlife crisis or whatever.

I have a station wagon with a stick shift and a sunroof. It's fun to drive and practical. 8)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Quoted for truth. Stick is not going any where. It probably is just not profitable putting them in a limited number of "family cars".

And the notion that there are fewer sticks is because Americans are "fat and lazy" is offensive speaking from the perspective of an auto drive. I suppose markski still washes his clothes by hand in a bucket.

:lol: :spin: Uh oh... *Runs and ducks head*

Seriously though, if I grew up here in NH, I would have learned to drive stick. Down in MA, I never had any desire to learn stick in traffic jam central where there is a light every mile. That may be lazy of me but I just saw it as not being worth the hassle.

Steve, Steve, Steve....You're the one that called yourself lazy in this post....I was making a superlative generalization about the American Market. Obviously, not all Americans are fat and lazy...(maybe just one or the other ;) ). I was obviously talking about the demand in the American Market....its just not there...I'm a big believer in the supply and demand.

Also, I think you have to get the Suby in the GT turbo to get it in a stick in the Legacy or outback models...which is what I looked at a few months ago. I still have another year before I really need to get into a new car...so just did some preliminary research.

And, I happen to wash my clothes in this:

wonderwash.jpg

http://furniture-for-small-spaces.com/manual-clothes-washer.html

bvibert

Staff member
Also, many sports cars and sports sedans still can be had with 3 pedals. It's really just boring cars that are all slush boxes now.... and I don't plan on, God willing and the creek don't rise, owning a boring car in the near future. Only slightly used exciting cars.

Don't let the US-centric view fool you though. Across the pond, manny tranny's are the norm, and I don't mean the kind Paul hooked up with in Amsterdam.

Some of us have families and need a car that's somewhat practical to drive, is it too much to ask that it also be fun to drive? I wouldn't call my manual shift Passat wagon boring, but I couldn't go out and get a new one with a stick... :smash:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Side note: My wife insisted on driving a manual. One of the reasons I fell for her in the first place. No one I've dated so far can even drive a stick. Still looking for a hot, skiing, stick shift driver ...
Seriously? You can't find a girl who can drive a stick? I didn't think it was that rare of a skill.

I learned the hard way--1st car was a stick and I had 2 hours to learn to drive it before I was on my own. My favorite was my 97 VW Cabrio...miss having a stick-shift convertible. Stupid Blazer is auto, but that was more because we needed a vehicle that would fit carseats (the Cabrio would not...unless you wanted to sit on the dashboard) and since we were shopping used cars, we couldn't be too picky with our price range. I want a stick-shift convertible again.... Badly. Maybe when the Blazer dies...which is any day now. :lol:

Sad that it seems like manual transmission is being phased out, though. It's really not that hard to drive.

hrstrat57

and therein lies the rub. Only Subaru I've ever driven regularly, a 2004 Legacy Wagon, was easily the biggest piece of crap I've ever had to suffer through. So, so bad, that it would take an act of god for me to ever consider the manufacturer again. :lol:

Do the higher end model Suby's still offer a manual? Almost all other Asian manufacturers do offer a manual, but only in the bottom of the barrel entry models.

Drive a WRX and report back to us.

Maybe the new limited model with leather...yummy.

bvibert

Staff member
Side note: My wife insisted on driving a manual. One of the reasons I fell for her in the first place. No one I've dated so far can even drive a stick. Still looking for a hot, skiing, stick shift driver ...

That is awesome. I love that my wife knows how to and prefers driving a manual!

Good luck in your search!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Drive a WRX and report back to us.

Maybe the new limited model with leather...yummy.

I'm sure the WRX is way fun to drive. How's the back seat? Fit two adults comfortably? I'd imagine the MPG probably stinks.

I don't necessarily want Rally Car performance. Just a mid-sized car with manual transmission that handles decently, can hit 60 in under 7 secs and gets good gas mileage. Only option I see out there that does this right now is a BMW 5 series.

wa-loaf

I'm sure the WRX is way fun to drive. How's the back seat? Fit two adults comfortably? I'd imagine the MPG probably stinks.

I don't necessarily want Rally Car performance. Just a mid-sized car with manual transmission that handles decently, can hit 60 in under 7 secs and gets good gas mileage. Only option I see out there that does this right now is a BMW 5 series.

Audi A4 gets 30 mpg, six speed and plenty of power.

campgottagopee

that's my point. Only entry level el cheapo Asian cars are now available in a stick........LAME

I blame campgottagopee :razz:

Hey now!!!!!

From a dealership stand point we're seeing the demand for bolt action dwindling, damn near non-exsistant. #1 reason is fuel milage, used to be you had to get a stick to get good MPG, that's not the case anymore. Suck it up and deal with it ;-)

Try Legacy GT ----sa_weet

WJenness

Totally sucks. Seems like there might be a market soon taking european manuals and converting them for the us market.

Stay away from my gf ;-)

Skiing since she was 2.

Driving stick since before she got her license... Won't consider driving anything with less than three pedals...

She taught me how to ski and drive stick.

Oh, and she's cute too... :cool:

-w (who considers himself quite lucky)

Warp Daddy

Yes. we both i always drove 5/ speed sports sedan/hatchbacl Saab 900 turbs or Celica GT,s or 5 speed econoboxes as second vehicles and enjoyed the FUN BUT now have Saab 9.3 Sport Combi and Corolla LE both slushboxes more for ease and frankly resale

bvibert

Staff member
But only 3 (working) brake calipers ;-)

-w

You should have seen what happened on the way home... :eek:

Parts should be here today, and the car will get fixed tomorrow. New RR caliper and brake line, flushed brake fluid, and new pads and rotors all the way around. Plus an oil change for good measure. :beer:

WJenness

Yes. we both i always drove 5/ speed sports sedan/hatchbacl Saab 900 turbs or Celica GT,s or 5 speed econoboxes as second vehicles and enjoyed the FUN BUT now have Saab 9.3 Sport Combi and Corolla LE both slushboxes more for ease and frankly resale

Interesting on the resale... The cars I've been looking at recently (Audi A4 / S4) have been more expensive with the manual as they're much rarer, and are holding value better...

I plan on holding on to my car for a while until the new S4s start showing up in the used market in decent numbers... If only Audi USA brought the avant over in a stick...

-w

hammer

Audi A4 gets 30 mpg, six speed and plenty of power.
Not sure about the new A4s but anything older than 2009 has a bit of a tight back seat...not any bigger than my Volvo S40 IIRC and the S40 is about the same size as a Mazda 3.