• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

JimG.

Staff member
Guess I'll have to buy my Corvette with a big block and a manual sooner rather than later.

Oh well.

bigbog

Will be interesting to see if auto-braking succeeds... Seems to be the thinking of the classic 20yo doctorate engineer....integrating something into a vehicle simply because of they Can...before scruitinizing whether they Should... The pseudo-theme in the old Jurrasic Park line from the Jeff Goldblum character. Lots of accidents happen via overloadding and distracting the drivers' mind with data. It's quite a challenge.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Will be interesting to see if auto-braking succeeds... Seems to be the thinking of the classic 20yo doctorate engineer....integrating something into a vehicle simply because of they Can...before scruitinizing whether they Should... The pseudo-theme in the old Jurrasic Park line from the Jeff Goldblum character. Lots of accidents happen via overloadding and distracting the drivers' mind with data. It's quite a challenge.

Also called the law of unintended consequences. Falling in love with an idea without knowing for sure what the consequences will be.

I doubt overloading of data will be an issue for most drivers who seem to have no ability to pay attention to anything anyway.

bdfreetuna

I really hope the backlash against auto driving/braking is substantial enough that cars for drivers continue to exist. DHS is right manual drivers are more focused and safer.

Otherwise "vintage" circa 2015 vehicles are going to be in really high demand among enthusiasts.

bigbog

I really hope the backlash against auto driving/braking is substantial enough that cars for drivers continue to exist. DHS is right manual drivers are more focused and safer......

No "backlash" needed....what is needed in driving is a constantly changing realtime recognition and judgement process....which any static or artificial intelligent system isn't built to do.

Jully

I really hope the backlash against auto driving/braking is substantial enough that cars for drivers continue to exist. DHS is right manual drivers are more focused and safer.

Otherwise "vintage" circa 2015 vehicles are going to be in really high demand among enthusiasts.

I wonder if those drivers are really 'safer' or if it is a self selecting bias. Given that there are so few manuals on the roads these days anyways, anyone that seeks out a manual is likely not the type of driver that gets into those unfocused type accidents.

Jully

No "backlash" needed....what is needed in driving is a constantly changing realtime recognition and judgement process....which any static or artificial intelligent system isn't built to do.

I think those systems certainly have a place in the right context. The biggest problem I have with auto-braking is that if the car behind it doesn't have an auto-braking mechanism, then that person, if they are too close is guaranteed to hit them. That is why making it required on cars I think would actually reduce any 'risk' associated with those systems.

In terms of making people less focused on the road, I think that is definitely possible, but also could be compared to other 'safety' mechanisms making people more careless like seat belts or even helmets when skiing. This is a little different though because it is a physical action that is taken rather than protection.

yeggous

I wonder if those drivers are really 'safer' or if it is a self selecting bias. Given that there are so few manuals on the roads these days anyways, anyone that seeks out a manual is likely not the type of driver that gets into those unfocused type accidents.

IIHS is the one that conducted the most reliable study, and those guys are very careful with their statistics. Actuaries take that seriously.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...tion-slashes-police-reported-rear-end-crashes

bigbog

Nice.....

Mr. Nick....what Audi did you get? Am looking around for something, probably next spring/summer...after the single-car garage gets demolished and 2-car gets built, to relieve my 4R of local duties....

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
But its a Mustang....:) No way I would ever drive this in the snow. Hell, its scary in the rain. Plus no room!
Sweet ride. I prefer the Camaro to the Mustang as well. Haven't seen how Brad gets his skis in his Stang. Maybe puts the passenger seat down. He rolls solo to the hill, so he doesn't need much space.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nice.....

Mr. Nick....what Audi did you get? Am looking around for something, probably next spring/summer...after the single-car garage gets demolished and 2-car gets built, to relieve my 4R of local duties....
It's a used 2010 a5 Cabrio! I love it but I would have loved manual. It only has 11k miles!

Sent from my SM-G950U using AlpineZone mobile app