• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

bvibert

Staff member
I had no idea I was a testosteroney cool, hardass driving around in my little Mazda. Maybe I should buy a leather driving jacket. :)

44356266_614.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe where you're from.

Long haired hippies driving around old beat up VWs in the hills of New England? Kind of the anti cool / manly thing

ctenidae

It's just a chest thump thing to some... They act all manly and testosterone'y...

I could care less - I just want to go from point A to point B safely and in comfort...

I am buying a motorcycle for all that kind of fun..

I would argue that the manual increases my safety and comfort when driving. I hate when driving some ATs that when you let off the gas, they don't really slow down- it feels like they speed up, since you overreact to the lack of the expected sensation. Knowing that I have that extra measure of control makes me feel safer, which makes me more comfortable. I can honestly claim I have never sat in traffic and wished I had an automatic.

Now, for chest thumping and testosteroning, motorcycles are great. They're fun, too, but not as useful on a daily basis.

JimG.

Staff member
Everyone thinks differently and it takes all kinds.

I used a figure of speech to convey my enjoyment of a manual. I have no attitude other than I prefer controlling my own car. That will continue.

And I can certainly listen to and allow for other viewpoints I don't agree with since most have their own measure of value.

Funky_Catskills

Everyone thinks differently and it takes all kinds.

I used a figure of speech to convey my enjoyment of a manual. I have no attitude other than I prefer controlling my own car. That will continue.

And I can certainly listen to and allow for other viewpoints I don't agree with since most have their own measure of value.

It's the manual shift attitude... You totally have it..

You all have - why not embrace it?
Why can't it be about chest thumping? Being excited and happy for this act of fun that you so extol over the mundane life of us automatic shifters?

ctenidae

It's the manual shift attitude... You totally have it..

You all have - why not embrace it?
Why can't it be about chest thumping? Being excited and happy for this act of fun that you so extol over the mundane life of us automatic shifters?

I was thinking about it this morning- it's not (necessarily) chest thumping or bravado. Aside from the safety and control aspects that some (myself included) enjoy, there's the simple pleasure in doing something right. The 4-2 downshift, the smooth row up the gears, the 5 miles of stop and go traffic with nary a brake light. It's no different than cooking a steak a perfect medium rare, or a perfect fishing cast, or a flower arrangement that's just right. To be sure, there's some fun in wrapping up a gear, in the little turbo snort as you upshift, or dropping a gear (and the hammer) in a tunnel.

I enjoy manual transmissions because I like the connection, I prefer the control, and I indulge in the enjoyment. You prefer an automatic because you use your car as a tool, driving is a necessary chore, and it works just fine. That's why they make both kinds. For the moment.

Funky_Catskills

I enjoy manual transmissions because I like the connection, I prefer the control, and I indulge in the enjoyment. You prefer an automatic because you use your car as a tool, driving is a necessary chore, and it works just fine. That's why they make both kinds. For the moment.

Excellent...

As I was downshifting my Automatic transmission using TipTronic I was thinking about this thread as well..

Don't get me wrong... The thought of screaming around a mountain road with a Porsche - downshifting into a turn makes me stoked!!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I was thinking about it this morning- it's not (necessarily) chest thumping or bravado. Aside from the safety and control aspects that some (myself included) enjoy, there's the simple pleasure in doing something right. The 4-2 downshift, the smooth row up the gears, the 5 miles of stop and go traffic with nary a brake light. It's no different than cooking a steak a perfect medium rare, or a perfect fishing cast, or a flower arrangement that's just right. To be sure, there's some fun in wrapping up a gear, in the little turbo snort as you upshift, or dropping a gear (and the hammer) in a tunnel.

Agree. A good downshift while accelerating through a turn lets you feel the g-forces build (while eveyone else in ATs are braking and working against the forces, a MT uses them to slingshot out of the curve) gives me a similar feeling as a really good carved turn on skis.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The thought of screaming around a mountain road with a Porsche - downshifting into a turn makes me stoked!!

The thing is though.......you don't need a Porsche to have that kind of fun on winding roads. My little Mazda handles like a go cart on the back roads. Super fun car to push. Also super efficient when I just need to get from point A to B.

xwhaler

The thing is though.......you don't need a Porsche to have that kind of fun on winding roads. My little Mazda handles like a go cart on the back roads. Super fun car to push. Also super efficient when I just need to get from point A to B.
+1 Mazda has always made great cars with an eye towards handling. My daily commuter is an '06 3 with 188k and steering/handling still feels very tight.
It's too bad the rust is starting to get to it around the wheel wells and on the trunk taillight. A common issue I see on 3's of this vintage.
Feel I will need to make the call within the next yr or so whether to replace panels (friend with an 05 3 did this) or scrap the car with the major mechanical components still in great shape.