• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

Funky_Catskills

The thing is though.......you don't need a Porsche to have that kind of fun on winding roads. My little Mazda handles like a go cart on the back roads. Super fun car to push. Also super efficient when I just need to get from point A to B.

Wow... I can never be correct... :)
I totally understand how cars work..
I learned to drive in a 1972 Ford Pinto.. I could smoke the tires.. I could do donuts... :)

I like Porsches... They bring back memories..
My friend has a really nice 911 back in the day.. Loved to drive it... I was the only one he let drive it...
He wrecked it and got a 240z Which I REALLY loved..... Until he wrecked it...

ctenidae

The Subaru BRZ strikes me as a fun car to have, especially with the Prius tires. Apparently, you can drive like a total hoon and never break the speed limit in town.

JimG.

Staff member
It's the manual shift attitude... You totally have it..

You all have - why not embrace it?
Why can't it be about chest thumping? Being excited and happy for this act of fun that you so extol over the mundane life of us automatic shifters?

As silly as me saying you obviously have the automatic transmission attitude.

My father's (RIP) second wife has that one too...still lectures me about why I need an automatic. Much safer, the way of progress, looks forward to sitting in slot cars, blah...blah...blah. Does it every time she's in the car. My father was that way too. Maybe it's a childhood issue for me? The one thing I make sure of as a father is to NEVER tell my kids what to do or what to be. Even though I hated when he did it it is the greatest inadvertent lesson he gave me.

As my wise Jamaican wife always says, "let it be anything!". Who really cares? I feel safer and more engaged and focused when I drive a manual. I like it. Why do I have to be like everyone else?

Tin

+1 Mazda has always made great cars with an eye towards handling. My daily commuter is an '06 3 with 188k and steering/handling still feels very tight.
It's too bad the rust is starting to get to it around the wheel wells and on the trunk taillight. A common issue I see on 3's of this vintage.
Feel I will need to make the call within the next yr or so whether to replace panels (friend with an 05 3 did this) or scrap the car with the major mechanical components still in great shape.

That year is essentially a Volvo s40, no? Junkyards are loaded with s40 pieces because of the interference engines and people not changing belts/tensioners. I would check around.

xwhaler

That year is essentially a Volvo s40, no? Junkyards are loaded with s40 pieces because of the interference engines and people not changing belts/tensioners. I would check around.

No idea but maybe? Not a bad idea if I found panels that matched. Friend who had his replaced by a body shop paid approx $1500 but rust was worse than where mine currently is.
Not sure it's worth dropping that kind of cash on a 10 yr old car with over 200k miles though? I really love the car though, its perfect for my long daily commute.

ctenidae

Good news- the top of the line BMW 3, the 340, will offer a 6-speed manual as a no-cost option. Happy to see it coming back up the line, with 2 models (2 and 3) sporting a real transmission ;). With the new Alfa Romeo slated to have a 6-speed as well (in at least incarnation, at least), life is looking better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My wish is for an affordable AWD smaller SUV or crossover to come with a MT. Currently the only options I am aware of are Subaru and Mini Cooper.

Will be looking at such a vehicle for my wife in a couple years and she's more demanding that her car has MT than I am.

ctenidae

My wish is for an affordable AWD smaller SUV or crossover to come with a MT. Currently the only options I am aware of are Subaru and Mini Cooper.

Will be looking at such a vehicle for my wife in a couple years and she's more demanding that her car has MT than I am.

Doesn't necessarily qualify as "affordable" or "smaller," but we had a Porsche Cayenne with a stick, think it was an '07. All wheel drive, with the ability to put it in real 4WD. Usually had great grip, but on icy surfaces you could get it in a four wheel drift, which was fun (though disconcerting the first time it happened). No idea what used ones are going for. I do like the look of the Subaru Crosstek.

Edd

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here's something with a 6-speed option. Fits the parameters. http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=7721-en

Only available with MT in 2WD, not AWD.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8440-en

Your Forester is pretty much the best/only option that fits the parameters. I don't like the look of the Cooper SUV and I'm sure the maintenance records are spotty. Probably more fun to drive than the Subaru though.

So, this will be my punishment for years of trash talking Subaru. :lol:

Purchase is still a ways off so my pride won't have to suffer for awhile yet.

bvibert

Staff member

Give me a wagon with 6 speed MT, AWD, and a turbo 4 cyl (gas or diesel) and I'll be happy. I don't have much need for a small SUV or Crossover. My 97 Outback is about the perfect size for me.. too bad it's rusting to pieces. The Crosstrek is cool looking, but doesn't have the same amount of storage as my wagon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had read that the next generation VW sportwagen tdi will be available in AWD and initially they said a 6 speed option, but the most recent news says only Europe will get the six speed.