• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tubed or Tubeless?

Tubed or Tubeless

• Total voters

bvibert

Staff member
Do you use conventional tubes on your MTB, or do you have a tubeless setup?

If you're tubeless do you have UST rims and tires, or are you running some sort of conversion with regular rims, like a Stan's kit or ghetto?

WoodCore

Currently running tubes but I have a Stans coversion kit and will be switching over soon.

gorgonzola

tubed - a few flats a year, no biggy. the better rider i become the less flats i get... great now i just jinxed myself for a 2 flat day on the next epic ride

MR. evil

Ghetto tubless. I have averaged 1 flat a season since I swithed 2 years ago. Both were nasty side wall tears that the sealant couldn't fix. I love the lower pressures you can run with tubeless.

Jisch

I started using ghetto tubeless about 4 years ago. Most of the time the conversion goes easy but sometimes is a complete pain in the butt. I really like the flexibility in being able to run lower PSI and the lack of pinch flats. For whatever reason, I think running tubeless does increase the chance of sidewall tears - but those only happen once or twice a season. In the cases where I've had to run tubes I've flatted once every two or three rides - not acceptable!

bvibert

Staff member
I put holes in the sidewalls of 3 or 4 different tires over the last season, running tubes. Not exactly confidence inspiring to switch to tubeless. I guess if I ever do go tubeless I'm not going to use Specialized tires.

o3jeff

I put holes in the sidewalls of 3 or 4 different tires over the last season, running tubes. Not exactly confidence inspiring to switch to tubeless. I guess if I ever do go tubeless I'm not going to use Specialized tires.

Why not, aren't they still doing the lifetime warranty?

bvibert

Staff member
Why not, aren't they still doing the lifetime warranty?

Because I don't want to start oozing sealant out of the sidewall every few rides if I switch to tubeless. I heard they were stopping the lifetime warranty on tires anyway.

Jisch

Yeah, Specialized tires now have only a 90 day warranty on them. I agree that their normal sidewalls are not good - tubeless or not. Its hard to find a tire that has a tough sidewall AND doesn't weigh a ton. I'm investigating a Nevegal tubeless tire right now - its heavier but the sidewalls are tough.

John

MR. evil

Wish spesh tires spend a few bucks extra and get your tire of choice in the armidilo version (much tougher side walls). I am really starting to like the Conti tires with the apex side walls, very tought.